Author Topic: My first DE  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Shane.G

• Mr Graves
  • Sly Jr.
My first DE
« on: June 27, 2016, 03:54:41 AM »
Decided after years of being BBC I'd take the plunge and buy my first DE. After many recommendations I got the merkur 34c. A bit nervous but done my research and having my first shave tonight

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: My first DE
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:24:15 AM »
Good luck with the Merkur.  Just take it slow and steady.  You'll get accustomed to it pretty quickly and be amazed at how close a shave you can get.

Offline Shane.G

• Mr Graves
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »
Hey had my first shave not as close as I'd hoped did a little mixture of against and with the grain. Got visibly bald but a lot of sandpaper areas remained. Only 1 nasty nick but I expected it as I had a large spot in that area. Going to keep at it though as a visibly bald head and no razor burn is good enough for now

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
The key to a close shave with a DE is getting the correct angle for the blade to swipe across the skin.  Cartridge razors are pre-set" to a given angle, but DEs have to be maneuvered around - that's also why it's so easy to get a nick with a DE. 

I like using a DE on the sides and top, but still revert to a cartridge razor for the back.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »
Great choice! Just keep it clean and your grandkids could be shaving with it one day!
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Enter your email address: