Author Topic: High End Shave Cream vs. Soap vs Standard Shave Cream in a can?  (Read 4928 times)

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
As I prepare to begin my journey with de shaving, I'm curious to know the difference between cream and soap? One of the main reasons for trying the de razor is the cost. How big a deal is it really to get shave soap and a brush vs. standard shave cream like barbasol, etc? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
Re: High End Shave Cream vs. Soap vs Standard Shave Cream in a can?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »
If you want to get a really good shave with any kind of razor I would recommend a good shave soap or cream and a brush. The brush will help prep your skin for the shave and will get the hairs to stand up to be cut and get the lather on your skin better then by hand for protection . Good soap will not dry out your skin like the crap in a can does. My main cream is Proraso but any good soap or cream will do a better job than the stuff in a can. Check out Youtube for about a million soap reviews to see if anything strikes your fancy. You can get lots of stuff off of Amazon if you can't get anything locally.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:48:14 AM »
Brush + soap/cream are nice and have their place but no you do not need them for a great shave. I had my best head shave so far last night with a dorco prime de, gillette 7 o'clock yellow, and barbasol aloe.  Water wasn't even that hot, no pre oil, no special prep.  Now for me I find that the known "drying" of skin brought on by canned creams is actually beneficial. I have such oily skin that creams and soaps always clog my pores and the brushes just cram it all down in my pores further leading to terrible pimples. Not to say you will have the same issues but I wanted to share my experiences.

It's funny... When it comes to razor aggressiveness, blade choice, preshave/prep, before/during/after shower, mirror or by feel.... Yada Yada Yada, everyone always says how you have to experiment and find what works and it's all about preference yet when the topic of can vs brush comes up everyone immediately says "YOU MUST USE SOAP/CREAM AND BRUSH TO GET A GOOD SHAVE!"  Talk about falling for marketing ;)
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
Using a brush and quality soap/cream is not falling for marketing. I have used canned foam for 34 years, there is a huge difference between Barbasol and a good soap, and good prep makes for a better shave.... A brush is another part of good prep. Sure you don't need a brush but it feels great and it exfoliates the skin and helps prep the hair for shaving. If a can of foam works for you that's great but not all razors,soaps,creams ,oils and brushes work the same so to lump them together as people falling for marketing is wrong . I guess I'm just a dumbass because after over 30 years of using the canned foam I guess I'm not smart enough to tell the difference.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
I forgot to mention, A puck of Soap will last for months! That's with daily use....you said you wanted to save money .....a puck of soap or a tube of cream can last you a very long time.

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »
 I don't bother with fancy stuff anymore just ordinary foam and disposable two blade razors. I used to have a shaving brush years ago for my face and got a good shave with it. In fact i'm thinking of investing in a new one and doing away with foam all together .
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
Cobranet, I hope no offense was taken by my post.  I was just simply stating an observation I have made lately but I do see how my comment could have been taken as an attack and for that I apologize.  We all have different needs and all make use of any of the wonderful products available to us which is what helps make places like sbg great and even better that people with two different view points, such as you and I in this situation, can come together to give as much info as possible to another member.  Brushes do work great and bring many positive qualities to a shave that you simply cannot find without them but it is still possible to get a great shave regularly with something as simple as a canned cream/foam/gel.  My comment about the marketing was more of a joke that was taken personally.  I also commend your valid point that soaps/creams do save money as well since their "cost per use" is so low regardless of total purchase price.  Hopefully we can retain order and keep getting good info to jeff.  Warhawk is the resident de guru  so I'm sure he'll be able to chime in with more info also.  In the end it all comes down to experimentation.  You may prefer a can, you may prefer a brush, neither is wrong if it works for you my friend.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 06:26:39 AM »
It's all good.