Author Topic: Earrings in the workplace  (Read 42189 times)

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Re: Earrings in the workplace
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:34 PM »
It seems like the majority of guys under the age of 30 that I work with have marks on their earlobes indicating that they once had pierced ears.  Presumably they stopped wearing earrings when they had to find jobs.  The business world has loosened up considerably; business casual is now the norm, facial hair is no longer a rarity and of course, shaved heads are also quite common.  But male earring-wearing still seems to be a taboo. Just wondering if anyone has any theories as to why that is. 

Good question. Because I've been thinking about having my left ear pierced. But I think there'd be raised eye brows at work.

Shaving your head is one thing. People do it to cover MPB.
Growing a beard is another thing. Reckon about a third of men in our office have some sort of facial hair. And you can shave it off.
But piercing an ear and stuffing jewellry into it ? Well that could be a step too far.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »
What do you think would happen if you did it?

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
What do you think would happen if you did it?

Really do not know. Suspect colleagues would make a comment. Might even be asked not to wear it when meeting clients.

I can wear an oversized goatee and shaved head. But getting my ear pierced....

Offline VOT

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
If you want to do it just do it. You will get comments the first few days and then people will get bored and move on to something else. Also in the UK most employers are quite relaxed and even if they are not they know that due to dicrimination laws there is not much they can do about it

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
If you want to do it just do it. You will get comments the first few days and then people will get bored and move on to something else. Also in the UK most employers are quite relaxed and even if they are not they know that due to dicrimination laws there is not much they can do about it

Thanks for that VOT.

When did you have your ears pierced ? (looks like you have). And what made you decide ?

Offline VOT

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »
Had 1 ear pierced for years, although over the last 10 years wore it only outside work. Last year girlfriend suggested I get the other pierced. Thought I would give it a go as I had thought about it occasionally. Now I keep them both in all the time. Have had comments obviously but not one negative comment,  just surprise, interest (it is surprising the number of guys who want to do it but feel they cant) or compliments. Just do it I say as you can always take it out again but I do suggest that you leave in for a month before deciding if its for you or not.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 04:14:18 AM »
I guess it depends where you work, I have one ear piercing, had it for 30 years, just a very small silver hoop, I've worked in the motor trade, retail sector and engineering, and was never a problem, the only job where I never wore it was when I worked for the PGA (professional golfers association) I didn't where it to the interview, as I knew it wouldn't be acceptable, never been an issue...you don't get an earing to "be cool" anyone thinking that or doing that, just doesn't get it....but hey, we all have different belief's. ..and without those kinda people...us "cool kids" wouldn't be cool!

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »
there's not an issue with guys with earrings at my workplace. I work in an office setting and there are not a lot of guys in the office (maybe 10). There are only 2 of us who have earrings and we both have them in both ears.

There is a warehouse as well at my workplace, and there are about 6 guys out there who have both ears pierced.

No one has said anything negative to me about my earrings. A few people have complimented me on them. Oddly enough it was my boss (female mid 50's) who suggested I get my right ear pierced to match my already pierced left ear after I started wearing it again last year after I turned 50. So I did it and have worn earrings in both ears ever since that day last fall.

Some of the women in the office have nose studs or rings, none of they guys have anything in their nostrils. So there's not an issue there either.

so my company is pretty laid back as far as pierced ears and noses go. I've never heard any negative comments about anyone sporting ear or facial piercings.

I'm not sure how they would be with large gauges, tho. No one either in the office or the warehouse has gauged ears. Not sure if there is a rule about that or not.

Enter your email address: