Author Topic: motorcycles!  (Read 27985 times)

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
Re: motorcycles!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
My computer is not available and I can't figure how to post pics from my iPad, If someone can either tell me how to put a picture from my iPad on this post or lets me email it to them I will be glad to put some pictures of my pride and joy
AKA Gimpy

Offline pickettwayne

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
This is my ride. It's a Yamaha R1 2005.

Love touring on the thing. Been to France  few times and done 10 days in Spain. Problem we have in England though is the weather. We just can't rely on it. We probably have about 2 weeks of sunshine throughout the year so have to try and make the most of it when we can.

Would love to do a couple of weeks in the US eventually.  C#)P

Offline 1000

• Crazy Bald Guy!
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »
Ahhh bike memories. My first was a 1978 Honda 400A Automatic. I paid a whopping $400 for it. Yup no clutch just a 2 speed transmission. Sold that after 4 months. For bike #2 was a 1987 Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster. It was tricked out and tuned up to fly. I paid a remarkable $1500 for that one. It didn't run The gas had been in the tank for over 5 years. After a weeks worth of time and $200 it was ready to rumble. I kept that for 2 years and then bought my current bike a 2007 Harley-Davidson Dyna Wideglide.
God Bless our Men and Women serving in the United States Armed Forces.

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 02:40:55 AM »
Wayyyyyyyy too many over the years. I literally have to stop myself thinking about it sometimes as the money I've spent has

been huge. Anyway…it's not a hobby like knitting so the cost is going to be there I guess. I still haven't learn't my lesson with

an xjr 1300 in the garage and a couple of trail bikes. On a more serious note I do enjoy a ride and the whole experience that

goes with owning a bike. We're a strange bunch and I sort of like that.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 06:45:51 AM »

Bought my first bike, a BMW, in Cape Town over five decades ago. Still have a Beemer, sits in my garage, lovingly stored against the day I can ride again. Not, I should add, the same one I bought in South Africa. They may lack the sex appeal of a Harley or whatever and, yes, they're expensive but...I've never owned one for  less than ten years and was able to trade or sell it for about 60% of what I paid for it....over that period of time I've owned four so, I think, one could say I got my money's worth and that's before you factor in my pleasure and enjoyment. Which was substantial. Favourite ride? From Buenos Aires to Santiago through the Andes past Aconcagua, highest place in North or South America. Always wanted to do Cape to Cairo but it was never politically or physically safe. Every guy who ever owned a bike has the greatest of memories.

Offline Zeus661

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
Honda Valkyrie here. Been riding it for about 15 yrs.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »
Well, I "HAD" a beautiful 2003 Anniversary edition Road King - until  Saturday - when I put it down at about 45MPH!  A rainstorm of Biblical proportion hit our group and I went down.

After the first head over flip the bike threw me - which was very good.  After I stopped rolling I actually saw the bike fly past me like some kind of surfboard!  Then the bike started flipping end over end.

I am OK.  I have some cracked ribs, a fractured wrist and bump on the head.   I also have a new scar in my scalp. The ribs are the worst, every breath is excruciatingly painful!

I am actually hoping that the insurance company totals my bike - I think that my riding days are over!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »
It has been over a week and still no word from the insurance company!  The dealer still has not cleaned the mud and blood off of my bike so that the adjuster can examine it and appraise the damage!

I spent all day sitting in a hand surgeon's office yesterday.  I really liked the guy.  He says that he will rebuild my wrist with pins and wires and it can wait until September when I am having my shoulder and bicep rebuilt.  As long as I have to be out of commission for a while it will be good if I can be down with both at one time! 

But when everything is healed - I am still going to get that new tattoo!  (Hey, I have to cover the scars, right?)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »
I'm glad you're here to post about that accident! I hope you're recovering and feeling better.  At least at the end of all that surgery and post op healing, you've got that tattoo to look forward to!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 05:18:32 AM »
Ouch!

A friend said that in Africa that a scooter/cycle rider can expect one incident like this at least once every 5 years.  100%.  The organization does not permit their pilots to ride motorcycles/scooters because of this. They invested too much into their pilots and can't afford to have them sidelined with cycle injuries.

I'm seeing a LOT more moped/scooter class cycles riding around town this year.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 11:03:32 PM »
I've been riding for some 30 years on varied bikes over time.
Right now, there 2 girls in the stable...

2003 r1150rt

And a 2002 k1200rs

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
Well, the insurance company called this week and they did indeed total my bike.

Some of my friends are pushing me to get another bike.  Others are telling me "I told you not to get a motorcycle!"

At this point I am undecided.  On the one hand I would like to get another bike so that I can continue to hang out with my biker friends.

On the other hand I am afraid of getting on a bike again.  I had a really spectacular accident and am miraculously fortunate that I am not dead!

I have already broken my neck once - and I don't think that I will get a second chance of recovering from that!

If I do get another bike; I am thinking about a three-wheeler.  What do you guys think of those Can-Am Spders?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 06:05:49 AM »
I'm now riding a 2014 Indian Chieftain. It's the best Bike I've ever owned.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Bondage007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
Hello
Here is my current ride.  2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 "British Batwing Bagger"  with significant modifications.

Cheers
John
"When injustice becomes law rebellion becomes duty"

Offline TheHeadShaver

• Sly Guy in Training
    • The HeadShavers Club
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
I used to ride but running my company (The HeadShavers Club) and family time took precedence.  However, with the kids being older now - it's time to ride again.  I had a Gixxer 600, CBR 600, Gixxer 750, and Gixxer 1000.  However, I want one of two that I'm looking at now.  Either the Campagna T-Rex () or the Polaris Slingshot ().  Gotta start saving up.  Been wanting one of these for a long time.
The HeadShavers Club
Head Shaving products delivered monthly
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Head-Shavers-Club/307442616110881
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeadShaversClub
"Because real men comb with a razor."

Enter your email address: