Author Topic: How do you get it REALLY slick?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline ncblue

• Sly Guy in Training
How do you get it REALLY slick?
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:44:22 AM »
Hey guys, I just joined the site last night and really enjoy reading the info.

You can see my intro here - http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=3910.0

Now, I have a question.  How do you get the dome slick? 

I have only shaved 3 times now, so it might just be me needing to get the technique down better, but I'm still rough up there.  I shaved last night in the shower and got it pretty slick.  This morning it was a little gritty, so I hit it again at the bathroom sink until it felt smooth.

I put some lotion on and it was as slick as a baby's bottom.  But now, 2 hours later it feels dry and a little sticky, with a hint of stubble (my beanie has the velcro feel).

So tell me my brothers, what do I need to work on?

Dadillac

Re: How do you get it REALLY slick?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 06:38:34 AM »
Welcome to the sight. Get used to the velcro feel. It happens to all of us. When I first started shaving, I thought that I would be slick for at least two days. But four or five hours later, it was coming back fast. Some guys shave twice a day to get rid of the stubble. Myself, I shave every second day.

Don

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 06:50:42 AM »
One technique that seems to help a lot of the fellas is to not shave immediately after getting up each morning.   If you can wait at least an hour you should get a longer lasting slick feeling.  Using a product like St. Ives Apricot scrub or Headshed when showering can help as well.  Hope that helps. Paul
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »
NC....waht type of razors are you using?  Some like the headblade sp and others like the fusions.  Like Paul said..get up out of bed in the morning ..have your morning coffee and let your whole body wake up before jumping in the shower to shave.  I know it sounds  funny or weird but really it helps.  After you get in the shower...let the warm or hot water run on your head to "wake" it up, get those pores open, do this while washing your body.  Put on some shaving lotion...I use the headslick shaving lotion with my headblade sp.  Always shave against the grain.  Over time you will get the nack and really be able to shave your dome in no time flat, and it will be smooth.  After you finish shaving run some cold water over your noggin and or use some ice cubes.  This closes everything back up for a nice tight slick dome.  Always follow up with some type of lotion ( aftershave gel ) I just use clear aloe vera gel that I keep in the fridge and it keeps me slick and smooth for most of the day. Usually around 6pm or so I start to feel some stubble...but not too bad.  Hope all of this helps you
Tim

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:16:47 AM »
You might want to look through the thread on "your routine."  There are lots of ideas there.  Every head is different, if you're here because of MPB, it's one set of issues, thinning in places--one issue, heavy growth, particularly in the back of the head, another.  Hairs on your head may be fine in one area, thick in another, the "grain" may change w/o any seeming reason, but it's your head and you'll learn all its particular areas and how to handle them. They are all solveable, you just need to try everything.  There's one report, confirmed by other members, that that conditioner you thought you'd never use again, can be used to get a smooth shave and soft scalp!  Another thing that was a surprise, a stuff called shaving oil, some get good results, I do--particularly mixed w/ Headslick, even baby oil is a great idea.  Most of all experiment, switch your weapon, Fusion is popular so is Mach III, and of course the great design appearance of Headblade unitl you find one that works for you.  You'll find a combination of stuff that leaves you feeling absolutely on top of your game, and when you do--that will be, for you, the ONLY WAY.  Enjoy the experiments, this Sly life is interesting and the results are wonderful.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:39:32 AM »
chris....i really can't add anything because the sly brahs have hit the nail on the head with extreme aggression. O0  like saintc said....check out the HEADSHAVING section and go under YOUR SHAVE ROUTINE... and check out the loads of info.  O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 08:32:16 PM »
Chris, My experience is to definitely wait awhile after getting up to shave.  The longer the better.  Also shaving against the grain makes a world of difference.

Also, just a another hint that several of us have found is that using a splash of Witch Hazel really helps you to keep a clean, clear, and healthy looking dome.  It is also really cheap.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:02:53 PM by SLYinKC »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »
I like to shave entire head and face daily(morning) in shower. I use a cheap nylon long-handled bath brush and regualr soap on my head and face to soften up stubble.  Use the Schick Extreme and shave against the grain using headslick and shaving oil.  Take my free hand  and stretch my scalp taunt while aganst the grain.  That gets as smooth as a cueball and I am one slick skinhead!  Hope that helps.  Since you've only shaved 3 times it takes a couple of weeks to get your scalp adjusted.  Regards, Skinhead

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
the boys have gave you some sound advice. so all i have to say is WELCOME!!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 04:43:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum Chris. Some great headshaving tips and advice to be found in the TECHNIQUES section.

For me, I like to wait about 2 days between a shave. For me, it seems that the razor actually has more hair to grab onto thusly giving a much smoother and closer shave. This also will give you a good 10-12 hours before stubble sets in.

Unfortunately next to laser hair removal or waxing, there is no permanent way to remove shadow and stubble. It is something you will just have to get accustomed to.

Offline Anthony

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
Something I do that works for me is mix shaving gel with water until its super slick then shave.  It helps alot, also I rinse my head numerous times in hot water and re-apply shaving gel everytime.  It's kind of a waste of gel, but it guarantees a nice slick wet dome and no razor burn ;-)

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
Welcome bro, the only way to get it really slick is experimentation, using your own logic and prowess and using some of the tips posted here.

Enter your email address: