Author Topic: A 1 week newbie needs HELP!...please? ;)  (Read 5395 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A 1 week newbie needs HELP!...please? ;)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »
hey skip:  welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  we hope that U become an active member of the best site on the internet.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline skipintexas

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, guys!  Can I ask for just a bit more?

I'm getting better at keeping the wheels on my HB in contact with my skin, and working hard to avoid pressure over the blade.  But when I'm done I keep finding "stubble patches" on my head...areas where I can still feel stubble.  I find them most on the top of my head, an inch or so on either side of the crown, running front to back.  When I go over the area with the HB it doesn't get it all...and I'm afraid to keep going over the same area too many times.  I don't want to start getting sores or bumps.  Are there any tricks to getting a smooth, even cut on every pass?  Is avoiding pressure on the blade allowing it to pass over the hairs, rather then cutting them off?  Do I need to go "down" from the crown, toward the ears, rather then just front to back horizontally?

sign me...."confused, and just slightly frustrated"...    :/O

;)))))))

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
The crown is a "problem" are for a lot of guys (myself included) because it grows in crazy directions. It is usually circular and in these cases you have to get it in at least four directions. I recommend trying to go from the ear up to the crown on each side and toy around with the lateral directions.

Your head is usually like this

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
^^<^>^^
vvv<v>vvv
vvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvv

Hopefully that makes some sense to you....the front and back GENERALLY go in one direction, but the crown goes in all directions, so you have to hit it from all directions. Pressing a razor down won't cut hair more, it will cut your skin more.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
Digory, that's really a brilliant way to illustrate the crown.  I have the same problem myself and have to shave at lots of odd angles to get it smooth.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline MikeM

• Sly
  • With two ears and 50 pounds of kid.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 02:10:44 PM »
I think of it as a clock, with the growth whirl at the center (imagining the clock as seen by an outside observer looking at my head, not from the inside of my head looking out).

To get rid of those final bits of stubble, I have to shave a stroke from 7:30 to center, then another from 4 o'clock to center.

Offline gardner179

• Sly
  • uk sly
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
hi skip, you have got some good advice there from the brothers. what a lot of the guys do,myself included, is to run over the stubbly bits left from the headblade shave with a fusion or mach 3, that will leave you super smooth. cheers bro O0

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »
Howdy Skip, welcome to la famille  :)
(someone please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe that should be a le instead)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington