Author Topic: A 1 week newbie needs HELP!...please? ;)  (Read 5420 times)

Offline skipintexas

• Sly Guy in Training
A 1 week newbie needs HELP!...please? ;)
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:27:21 AM »
Hi everybody!

I'm Skip, a 49 year old who just "did the deed" a week ago Saturday. (I have  a fairly full head of hair, but I have wanted to try shaving for several years.)  Actually my son buzzed my head down to a stubble Friday, and I gave my scalp 24 hours to get used to being exposed before I shaved it.  I have used a Norelco on my face for 20 years, and I am unsure how best to do my head.

Anyway....I had bought a full setup from HeadBlade on a friend's recommendation, but I used a Norelco electric the first two times.  It did great around the sides and back of my noggin, but the top wouldn't get closer then about a 1 day stubble on my face.  So after 3 tries with the Norelco, I tried the HB. I got a fog-free mirror and decided to shave in the shower.  I used the HeadShed, then applied HeadSlick and let it sit for about a minute.  After shaving I apply HeadLube.  I am shaving from the front all the way down the head to my neck, trying to use long smooth strokes.  Then I turn the HB and reverse the path.  When I use the HeadBlade it gets me closer then the Norelco, but I have two problems.  One I keep missing "strips", areas of stubble between the mostly smooth skin, on top and across the back and especially around the ears.  Second, I keep cutting the begeeze out of the back of my head!!  I have no problem with the front or sides but I keep coming out of the shower bleeding.  I don't like that!

So, I wanted to ask for some help before I give up and just let it grow back...

1) Is there anyway to get a really close shave out of the Norelco?  It's always shaved my face every bit as close as a blade, and I honestly had very high hopes for my head....but I can't get there.  (more time to let my skin/hair get used to it, more pressure, etc?)

2) If using a blade, how do you make sure to get all the hair/stubble and avoid leaving anything behind? 

3) Is the HeadBlade the weapon of choice for a lot of you, or is there something that is easier to use?

4) Last, and most important, how the HECK do you shave without cutting your neck and back of your head?  It may sound funny, but I really don't like bleeding...and I have to suspect that the little nicks now adorning the back of my skull don't look so hot either!!!!!!

Can anyone offer any help, or am I just uncoordinated and pretty much hopeless?? 

Skip in Texas
(Dallas, actually)

;oP
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:29:34 AM by skipintexas »

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: A 1 week newbie needs HELP!...please? ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »
Skip,

The first week or so is the most difficult.  If you want to use an electric you'll have to go out and buy yourself a Wet/Dry razor.  I use a Panasonic Linear ~$100.  It will give you a shave that is as close as / almost as close as a blade, depending on your hair.  I use a good shaving oil and Bald Guyz Shave Gel.  Shave in the shower and rinse the blades / foil often.  Keep at it.  You'll find a shave routine that works well for you.

Check out the video at: http://www.allaboutshaving.com/

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »
Hi Skip and welcome to the forum.

My answers to your questions are this.

1) I have no idea as I have never used an electric on my head.

2) As you continue to shave your head you will develope a routine (please check out the Shave Routine thread) and be able to shave your head by feel and easily catch any missed spots.

3) IMO the HeadBlade is the only weapon. I started out using a Schick Extreme 3 and switched to a HB and have never looked back. But you will have to find the weapon YOU are most comfortable with.

4) While using a HB the MOST IMPORTANT thing is DO NOT PUT ANY PRESSURE ON THE BLADE!!! That is why you are mangling your neck and back of your head. Take your time. Do not rush the shave. The HB has a bit of a learning curve but once you have mastered it (5-7 shaves) it will be your best friend.

The skin on your head will toughen up with time and exposure to sun (use sunscreen).

I hope this helps and I'm sure you will get even more advise from my other Brothers here at SBG. Again welcome. O0
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »
Skip....lol....No your not helpless....it takes time and a little experience that's all.....I think everyone has the same problems when they first start shaving.....if you read the forums on head shaving you will find everyone has their own personal way of shaving the noggin, be it the Headblade, safety razors , electric or a combination....after awhile you will find that you can feel your way through a shave by using your fingers for feel as you go along and pretty soon you won't have all that left over stubble that your now missing.....I am not sure about the norelco razor....if it's a rotary razor I would suspect the shave would not be as close as one with a screen....like the Braun 8000 series or Panasonic wet/dry......I am sure you will get a lot more advice from the brothers on here.....good luck !!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Skip...... and FR8 gives great advice......with the HeadBlade - slow at first and no pressure. You'll have it down in about a week.....
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »
I also think you will be better off if you did short strokes and you washed the blade off more often.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »
Hey Skip, this video might help you out as well.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M54pCKmVa5M&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M54pCKmVa5M&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »
I second the Panasonic Linear I got the ES8078S for around $90. Its an electric shaver thats a breeze to use and leaves my head smooth as a babies bottom.

Also if you are interested Amazon.com has a deal where they give you $30 rebate if you spend $99 on a Panasonic product so you can get one of the higher end models for the price of a lower end one.
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:34:36 PM »
1) Is there anyway to get a really close shave out of the Norelco?  It's always shaved my face every bit as close as a blade, and I honestly had very high hopes for my head....but I can't get there.  (more time to let my skin/hair get used to it, more pressure, etc?)

2) If using a blade, how do you make sure to get all the hair/stubble and avoid leaving anything behind? 

3) Is the HeadBlade the weapon of choice for a lot of you, or is there something that is easier to use?

4) Last, and most important, how the HECK do you shave without cutting your neck and back of your head?  It may sound funny, but I really don't like bleeding...and I have to suspect that the little nicks now adorning the back of my skull don't look so hot either!!!!!!

Welcome to SBG!

1)  You can't get as close a shave with the Norelco than with a blade such as the HeadBlade
2)  You should be able to do this by feel.  Make sure you use a low foaming shaving cream or gel such as HeadSlick or Bald Guyz
3)  I use the HeadBlade and wouldn't use anything else.
4)  Make sure you don't apply too much pressure to the blades.  They will do the work for you.  Also, be patient in the beginning.  It will get easier with practice.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »
Not much to add to the excellent advice you've already been given Skip except to say welcome and keep asking away with any other problems.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »
Welcome SKip
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »
Read all the thought and head shaving posts guys have put up here...When I first started shaving the dome, I was 23 years old, (a long time ago) and the only information that I had to go on was myself.....it was 1985 and I just had the on base barber giv me the closest buzz he could, grab a pack of disposable single bladed razors and go to town.  Man it was a nightmare, but I kept at it.....refined the process as I went along, until I came to this forum and found all these guys out there that are just as committed,(or probably should be committed), to being sly as I am.....After being on my own and getting into a rut I have been waken to more ideas and products to help me advance the closeness and smoothness of my shaves that my head is actually spinning......I am now in the process of trying several different ideas that I have read here, and looking into different products that might help me, but after all this that i have learned is.     You need to find your own shaving routine, one that works for YOU, but these guys will help you along the path, and I do believe they all speak from the heart, and will tell you honestly how they feel or think.
Good luck and KEEP IT SMOOTH
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline skipintexas

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!  I think I've already accepted that the Norelco isn't going to get the job done.  Sadly, I've returned to it for a few days.  I realized last night that continuing to use the HeadBlade is just re-opening the nicks on the back of my head.  So I'll put up with the electric Norelco for a few days until they heal.  Then I will get back to the blade, and I'll make a real point to try to put absolutely no pressure on the blades this time!  I was playing with the HeadBlade last night and I think if I keep my forefinger almost completely off the thing that should make it a lot easier to limit myself to only applying the pressure to the middle and over the wheels.  If I understand what I'm reading here that seems important, not having pressure on the blade. 

Can I ask another question?  The HeadBlade site (and the HeadBalde 101 video) recommends using "half strokes", running either down from the crown of the head, or up TO the crown.  But everything I am reading here (and the YouTube video) seems to advocate "full length strokes", basically from the forehead to the back of the neck.  Which method do you guys find most effective? 

Thanks again, for the help and ESPECIALLY the welcome!!!
Skip
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 12:19:17 PM by skipintexas »

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 12:40:12 PM »
Well Skip glad you didn't give up on the HB. I shave against the grain and since my hair grows out from the crown I use the long strokes only when going from the front of the head to the back of the neck.

I always start shaving the back of my neck first sliding the HB all the way to the top of the crown of my head. Once I have shaved the back all the way around, I then start from the front and slide the HB all the way to the back of my neck on each stroke. It works best for me this way.

Again, as has been suggested already, YOU have to find what works best for you. O0 Let those nicks heal completely before you go back to the HB. Stay with it, it will be worth it. O0

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
Welcome Skip!

I use my HeadBlade in the shower, no mirror.  I aim the shower head down out of the way, apply HeadSlick with my left hand, close my eyes and relax as I shave with my right.  I continually feel for rough spots and re-apply the HeadSlick as I move around.
I shave from front to back (crown) on top and then from back to front on the back.

Dunno if that helps any, Sarge

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith