Author Topic: 22 years old and at the stage of contemplating shaving my head  (Read 4864 times)

Offline YoungAndBald

• Learning the way of Sly
22 years old and at the stage of contemplating shaving my head
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »
Hello all,

I am new to this site and joined because I am in need of advice as I am currently contemplating going sly.  For the past couple of years (college years) I have been able to somewhat conceal it but it has recently made a tremendous breakthrough and there is no hiding it anymore.  I have just graduated college, which makes me feel a little better as I won't be completely bald in the college setting, but I am starting a new job in a few months and figured that may be the right time to do it and get a fresh start meeting new people.  It is typical male pattern baldness and I am receding in the front as well as thinning around the crown and so forth.  I have been getting comments from a lot of people about "going bald" and "how young I am", which leads to "you look so old."  As these comments continue I am getting sick of hearing them and wanted to hear some people's opinions/experience that they had gone through around the same age.

To give you a little background, I am a pretty small kid.  I am 5'5, maybe 5'6 on a good day, but I am in good shape and have a toned body.  I have never had trouble with getting girls or anything in that category but the fact of letting my head completely go sly at such a young age is just hard to accept. 

I have thought about just buzzing it down using the "balding clipper" or around a grade 1, but I think that it may even look worse at that point than just going completely sly.  So I am in this predicament and would appreciate any advice that anyone may be able to extend me. 

Thank you!     

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: 22 years old and at the stage of contemplating shaving my head
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
Welcome to the board, YoungAndBald.

Visible balding at 22. Yep, that was me. I am glad to hear you have not let hairloss get in your way.

I only wish the shaved head had been more acceptable when I was your age. I probably would have gone smooth right then rather than watching it fall off to leave just the horseshoe. Getting the hair off really can be a very liberating experience. Doing it before you allow people to get to know you with hair is a pretty smart thing as it avoids the surprise of showing up smooth one morning.

Glad you are here, sir.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
Go for it. At 22 most people will think you are doing it just because you want to. I was starting to get the comments from people telling me I was getting "thin headed" (I live in the south). Once I shaved it all off I felt so much better about myself.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
I echo jbrit.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:39:47 PM »
Around here, so many young guys shave their heads, or go for an extremely short buzz.  A bald head does not stick out of the crowd. It's expected in the crowd. Looks normal, for both young and old.

Go for it.  I always enjoy seeing a young guy or group of guys with shaved or nearly shaved heads. 

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 05:47:05 AM »
I would go for a short buzz and then shaven.  At your age i buzzed my hair very short by desire.  shows you have the self confidence to do it.  Shaved heads or short buzz much more common now.

Offline bud

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
Welcome    YoungAndBald,
...like the other guys said try it. 8)

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 07:26:57 AM »
Welcome to the SBG forum.

Try the 30 day trial.
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=12256.0

Good luck and go for it.

Offline claydontoby92

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
Welcome dude,

I was balding at around 21, plucked up the courage to shave my head at 22 and it was the best thing I have ever done. I don't wet shave anymore but a close buzz cut (i use 0.5mm) and I love it.

Enter your email address: