Author Topic: 21 yrs old, use headblade, finding it hard to properly shave my head!  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Bremner1

• Sly Guy in Training
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum to get some advice on a problem I'm having with headblade. If anyone can give me advice it would be most appreciated  :)

I am 21 years old and bald by choice. I am a white guy, and my hair is extremely thick and dense when left to grow naturally. I also have very pale skin, and dark brown hair. The only reason I shave my head is because I love the look!!! I hope no one takes offence that I shave my head, even though I could have a full head of extremely thick hair.

Just recently bought the headblade sport (2012 model). I am having great difficulty with shaving my head. The headblade gets  stuck on my hair even with a couple of days stubble. I am finding it extremely difficult for the headblade to cut my hair easily. I literally have to do the same sport 20+ times at all different angles to just shave off a small section. I am cutting my head really bad it stings alot.

Would this be due to me having suck thick hair stubble that it is finding it hard to shave it? Or should that not really be an issue? I am a complete newbie when it comes to shaving my head completely bald with a razor/ I think I read somewhere a while back that you can buy different blades to go on the headblade? One with three blades, one with 9 etc. Would the '9 one' make any difference and allow for a much smoother easier shave due to there being more blades to cut my extremely dense stubble?

I also use shaving gel on my head, and lots of it!!! Should I be using a different product to shave my head?

If any one has any advice it would be awesome. I love the look and feel of having a shaved head, but can not have one if it literally takes me well over an hour every couple of days to shave it, also it's not a good look walking around with cuts all over my head :(

Cheers guys,

Bremner

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome aboard! There is absolutely nothing wrong with being bald by choice, we have several guys that are not losing any hair but just like being bald....As far as the routine...If you are just starting to shave your head, it's going to take plenty of time and practice. One big thing to shaving is the prep....A few things you may want to try: Get a shaving brush and some shaving soap (the gel just doesn't do the job as well as an old fashioned lather). Invest in pre-shave oil, exfoliant and baby oil. Have you tried shaving while showering? There are many things that can help if you read the threads, and if you have any questions feel free to ask! Enjoy the forum and post a pic when/if you can.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
I'd suggest trying something other than the head blade. Lots of guys like it, but there are lots that aren't big fans of it either.

Personally, I've never seen the appeal. I find it much harder to use than my Mach 3.

Offline Bremner1

• Sly Guy in Training
Hey guys, thanks so much for your replies.

Could anyone tell me, would using the HB6 blades, as opposed to the HB3 blades make any difference in regards to the razor being able to cut the hair more easily? I just bought some headslick so will use that aswell when it arrives.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
If you are using the Headblade sport, put no pressure on it. If you're using the ATX put a small amount of pressure on the front so the blades sit flush on your scalp. By the sound of it you're using the sport. Every time I've cut my head it's been with the sport.
Also if your blade is getting stuck try using short strokes instead of long passes.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Bremner1

• Sly Guy in Training
Just another question if you guys dont mind:-

Like I said previously, I am bald buy choice. My hair is very thick and dense all over. When it grows long it is extremely dry, not silky, so even when I have a days stubble it is really coarse. Also  my hair is very dark naturally. When I have shaved my head all over, if I look very close in the mirror all of the hair is gone. But standing further back you can still see the 'shadow'. Its like a grey colour all over from a distance, even though there is literally no hair there at all.

Looking at some of your photos, I can see no shadow at all, even at your pictures that are at a distance. Would someone kindly let me know why this is?

Cheers guys!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
The shadow will fade over time as you get better at shaving. Try incorporating against the grain passes, that helps me reduce my shadow.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Bremner1

• Sly Guy in Training
Still having major problems guys. Used headslick for the first time yesterday and the headblade was still finding it hard to cut through my hair. Then found another razor in the bathroom, some 6 bladed gillete type razor. That couldn't cut through my stubble either. My hair stubble is ridiculously thick, and this also makes it very coarse due to my hair type being naturally very, very dry and curly. I imagine if I had thinner, more silkier hair when grown out, then it would be much easier to cut with  a razor.

Any other recommendations guys, as I really love the bald look, but cant take hours every other day trying to shave my head whilst cutting it everywhere?

Thanks!

Offline Jay

• Sly
I think you need to spend more time on pre-shave prep.

Firstly, shave at night, not morning. The head is puffy and blood engorged from being horizontal for many hours. In evening, that blood is back in your legs.

Wash and exfoliate your head. Then lather up or leave a hot towel/facecloth on the head. This will soften up the hair.

Rinse the head.

Now lather again. Use a good shaving soap or cream. Don't use that crap in a can.

Shave with 3 passes. The first is with the grain. The second across the grain and the third against the grain. Just because Headblade says to run all the way from front to back doesn't mean you should. You need to rinse your blade often.

Now give it a good rinse. Splash on some aftershave or witch hazel then apply a moisturizer.

Offline Bremner1

• Sly Guy in Training
Hey guys

Tried all of the suggestions still no luck. Think my hair is too thick and way too corse for the HB3 blades on the headblade to get through. Does anyone have any suggestions for different blades that I can put on my headblade that could perhaps actually get through my hair much more easily?

If I don't get that many replies to this question I may start a new thread about different blades for my hair type.

many thanks guys for all your help so far, it has been really appreciated!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: 21 yrs old, use headblade, finding it hard to properly shave my head!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »
Bremner,

Welcome. I'm bald by choice. I have a full head of hair. Yes, there is a lot to shave off each morning.

If I skip a day, there is LOTS of dark grit looking stuff in the sink as I rinse out the razor.

If I am shaving daily, I can start out and use the headblade sport for just about everything. If I skip a day, the head blade is NOT my starting tool. I'll use a Gillette Fusion Power Pro WITH the grain first.  Then I use the head blade to smooth things up.

It's like mowing the yard when the grass is too tall.  Weed Whack first, then get the mower out for the nice cut.

Well, for BBC, sometimes 2 or 3 days needs the weed whacker first. 

Last year I was sick for a week and did not shave. Needed to use clippers first, then the weed whacker, then the head blade.  Back to smooth! AhhhhH!

For BBC, I'd recommend daily shaving to keep things simple and easy.

Offline baldcop

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
Hey,
  Sorry to hear about the difficulties with the headblade, but no worries, your scalp and hair will eventually adjust too it and shaving will become easierand much quicker. I have been a head shaver for almost 7 years and I have learned over that time you may have to experiment with different blades or frequency. If you are shaving every couple of days and have thick hair growth, you may want to try a more open blade head like a Mach 3. It rinses out a little easier and has always done well for me. I also have thick hair and use the headblade sport. I keep an old toothbrush nearby to help clean out the blades from my headblade.
  To reduce cuts on your scalp, try Shave Secret shave oil. It's all I use and it's amazing stuff. Definitely reduces cuts and burns. Gonna need that toothbrush handy though. It really gums up the blades.
  Hope this helps. Good luck! :popo

Offline braveally

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »
I hear ya with the difficulty shaving your head the first time around. I also cut myself and generally irritated my head until I figured it out. Many members have already given you good advice so I would say experiment a bit. For me, If I don't shave for a couple days I run an electric shaver across my head and then shave. I have heard many people say that the headblade cuts them. Someone recommended the Gilette Fusion Proglide and since I got it my head couldn't be smoother.
The most important thing I learned is that prep is the most important. Very important to exfoliate and wash. If possible, shaving in the shower can help as well. Most of all since you are new (and i'm not very experienced either) take your time. It is a process that you have to get used to and rushing it will just lead to more discouragement. Good luck.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 07:06:30 PM »
I would try the HeadBlade double blades or the Gillette Sensor blades.  You'll need the black adapter for the Sensor blades.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Enter your email address: