Author Topic: 3 and 5 blade differences  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
3 and 5 blade differences
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:16:36 AM »
I have been using the Gillette Fusion Proglide and Shick Hydro 5 which is supposed to be their best, least irritating shavers.  Yet I hear it often said that 3 blades has less irritation then a 5 or 6 blade razor.  If this is the case then why do they market their 5 blade shavers as being the best on your skin?  What are the benefits between a 3 and 5 blade razor?(pros/cons).  I have been very curious about the Hydro 3 but I do not want to drop the money on the blades to try them out if they will be an inferior blade.

Andrei

Re: 3 and 5 blade differences
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »
Kevin, i think it depends on the person too.
I still have a full head of hair so i shave better with the Gillette 5 blade cartridges. I've tried once a 3 blade cartridge but i must change it faster and the shave is not that sharp.
If using a dull blade then irritation is expected.
So, the 5 blade for me.  :)

Also keep in mind the business factor: any company will always advertise it's pricier product.

What to use?
Check them both, see what's working better for you and keep an eye open for any other better offer.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:27:45 AM »
IMO a razor with five blades means that you are dragging 5 blades across your skin (5 passes).

3 blades = (3 passes).

When you DE shave there is one razor across the skin (1 pass).

So an individual needs to consider what type of irritation they are getting and correct the technique or tool.

I.e. when I shave with a Cart on my face (3 blade) I get a lot of razor burn. As there is three times as much scraping as opposed to a DE. I end up with a poor shave. As each pass is removing skin as well as hair.

With the increase in number of blades, you increase the surface area on the skin. Six blades is literally six times the surface area of a DE. So it is less likely to nick/cut if you tend to be heavy handed with your razor, as the pressure per blade is divided by six.

So that's my version of the pseudo science behind shaving lol....

What works best is up to you/your face.

For me I can get a super close shave using a DE or SE but prefer the headblade for ease of use :)

Happy Shaving
Lynchy

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:32:03 AM »
Remember some years back when Gillette and Schick seemed to be locked in death match as to who could put the most blades on a razor? It was if they believed that the more was better until someone realized that A.This was foolish and B. There was an outside limit as to how many blades you could put on a razor and not go into diminishing returns. Or, when you got to the Schick or Gillete Twelve to the Fiftieth power, no man could even lift it much less afford it. Of course, at that point it was attached to your wall and you just rubbed the part to be shave against it. (This would have had some obvious drawbacks but it never got to that point.) At the cost of blades, they should all function better than, in reality, they do. I find the differences between three and six-apparently the surviving number in the Blade War- to be minimal. For face shaving I'm partial to a Merkur DE and would use it on my head but, for whatever reasons, that always ends bloodily. I think the Merkur blades are better, more affordable and last longer so for those who have mastered double edging your scalp, that's my answer. Or we could look forward to the Whoever Octo which is the Quatro doubled.....

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:51:46 AM »
I am a HB sport user for the head and a Fusion user for the face. I do use the fusion on the head once in a while. HB is the smoothest when the blades are sharp since it is easier to handle than the stick. To be honest I think we all are just in the quest for the one of a kind shave where we stay smoother longer esp. If we are BBC. Interested to hear from others too.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
I've been using the Schlick Hydro 5 lately. Inmho, in terms of closeness, it doesn't seem to be much different than a three-blade but there's less irritation.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Harleyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
Head blade sport is the way the go.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/140224/sampf09f1299b683a4f3.jpg[/img] [/url]

Enter your email address: