Author Topic: Beards and bald heads  (Read 62074 times)

SlyHigh

Re: Beards and bald heads
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 07:13:53 AM »
I see some guys just let the beard grow up and just stop at the ears.  When I have a beard, I usually trim it short.  I'd like to fade it up to nothing at the top of my ears.  Any tips?

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »
Sly, when i grow out a beard, i do a slight fade.
At the longer areas, use a beard trimmer or some clippers for the fade.  When you get to the fade area that needs to be shorter than what the clippers will cut, but longer than the bald skin, use a razor to lightly thin out the area.

SlyHigh

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm also one to continually experiment with my facial hair.  People comment on how I always look different.  I've had a full beard to just a soul patch and everything in between (I am never clean shaven).  I've never done just the moustache, though.  Maybe I'll have to try your "boat."

Usually I go for something short with defined lines, like a thin line-beard or a goat that's thinned out with a half-height moustache and the area below the lip shaved out.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »
I really like the look of a beard with a bald head, but mine just won't join up to the 'tash.  Hense why I'm 'Mr Clean' at the moment 8)

Offline baldbill54

• Bald Bill
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 06:03:40 PM »
I have a four day beard going that should fill in in another week.  It's more gray this year, so I may need some help from Just for Men.  Plan to post a picture.

Bald Bill

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 01:50:27 AM »
There's nothing wrong with gray!

Offline jMac627

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 09:36:10 AM »
My beard is in no way "full" or "fully connecting" but it looks pretty good usually. and I have to agree a beard with the sly just looks really cool, you'll always get the questions but as long as its not just "unshaven" you'll be fine. I work in a restaurant and Ive had my employees try to tell me that they were growing a beard.. i told them that they just werent shaving. I prove them wrong everyday by coming to work with a trimmed beard, even if im trying to grow it out.
                        ** my favorite is the young guys who want to use their buddy's ID to buy booze so they grow out some discusing facial hair. when as long as its clean and neat you look much older and sophisticated*
cheers
J.

Offline oldkookskater

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
I kinda dug the look on Jeff Bridges when he played Obadiah Stane in Iron Man

rob

Offline Tor

• Ride the World!
  • Sly
  • Bald Rider
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
I'd say go for it..... O0
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »
I'm in the process of growing mine back: at the moment just a goat without the moustache, but Jeff Bridges certainly looked good with that full beard.  I say go for it, then if you don't like it you can always trim it into a shape.  It's good to have a change about 8)

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »
You gotta do whatever you feel comfortable with. I think a goat and a shaved dome looks great!  But Tow looks just as awsome ( we all secretly want the Gimli thing at some time or another!) Follow your heart!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »
Inspired by Slickdome!  Had a goatee for 14 years, decided to change it up.  I've been seeing a lot of this look lately, young and old.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »
Hey Buzz: really like the full beard look O0  I love the way with a full beard that the hair just stops by the ears and gives way to a slick dome: its a cool look. 8)  I'm getting inspired... O0

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »
I like the look of a goat and a bald head but like so many others my facial hair tends to grow in patches. I think I may try to grow some sort of facial hair just to see.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
Well I had a lot of concerns about doing it.  I started one in September while posted in Iowa, another in Brownsville and yet another in Houston, and then a couple of 4 day trials in December.  I have a really nasty looking grey in my beard, think a pile of snow at the side of the road in the spring--really nasty looking.  So I tried the Just for Men in the Houston trial.  I followed advice to go lighter not darker and so Medium Brown was the choice.  I found that at five days I could color the stubble.  Only issue then is that a meaningful portion of the beard develops daily so I was applying it everyday generally to avoid "roots" issues.  I've followed that plan this time too, beginning at the beginning of the Mardi Gras Parade season when everything here is a little crazy.  I'm getting lots of compliments, even though I see it as thin and not the sort of beard I'd keep.  I do have beard "experience"--a full beard during my mid-twenties for three years and it looked good especially trimmed out neat but full.  Another two year full beard filled my mid thirties as my head started to seriously enter it's "maturity" and hair vanishing act.  So here I am more than twenty years after the last one starting a goatee.  I just couldn't figure how to end a full beard by the ears.  I located www.beards.org and I got some good examples of full and goats.  I'm going to stick this out 30 days at least--same rule as the dome--to see what an adolescent beard looks like.  I like the look when seen from a distance--dressed for work it looks professional, and in many respects balances my looks IMO.  It takes some of the attention from the dome so my whole face is considered. 

I know that a fully mature growth takes at least two months :XX.  I'll start trimming at 30 days if I don't ditch it at that point.  I saw some examples at the beard.org site that looked like a next possible development of this chin mitten--widening out the  base to the corner line of the jaw--I see if that works too if I keep this up.  There is maintenance to consider--shampoo, conditioner and I've had to drag out the brush I retired in 2007.  It's a good thing I don't throw things out, still had the shampoo, conditioner and brush :D :D :D Only had to buy the Just For Men, and it goes a long way.  BTW, a touch of Just FM cleans up the eyebrows too from excessive grey, and I can trim them while I'm trimming the chin mitten. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:10:21 AM by saintc »

Enter your email address: