Author Topic: Taking the plunge  (Read 3386 times)

Offline gomez70

• Learning the way of Sly
Taking the plunge
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
Hey everyone. I am about to take the plunge and shave it all off down to the skin. I have a couple of questions. I just bought the Head Blade ATX. I have been using a Sharper Image buzzer that gets close to the skin but nowhere near bald. Should I go to a barber for my first time before using the Head Blade. Any beginner advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Taking the plunge
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
I do not use a head blade, I prefer a cartridge razor like the fusion.  But, either way, you can do It yourself.  Just start with a fresh buzz and go slow.  Post us a photo when you are done.
SlyBeard

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
If my limited experience thus far (one month down today!) is any indication, Slybeard isn't kidding -- go SLOW. And allow yourself enough time in the morning to get it done. At least at first, you're gonna need it.

Also, make sure you have a styptic pencil or something similar to stanch the bleeding that WILL occur, especially out of the gate using a razor.

I would personally recommend picking up an electric shaver, too. they don't get it completely smooth, but if you're staying at a friend's or an S.O.'s house, it's a better way to keep up with it without making a mess out of their bathroom.

Good luck!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »
I do not recommend trying a new razor for your first shave or for your first two weeks or so. Your scalp is going to be sensitive for a while until it toughens up to having a blade scraped across it. Using the razor with which you are familiar will make going over new areas like the curves of your head easier as you already have the dexterity for that razor’s use.
And yes, go slow and gentle when you start out.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
As a first shave, I also think the Head Blade is not the best razor to use. After a few weeks of using a razor such as a Mach 3 is a safer choice.  Then with experience try the Head Blade.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
Good advice from previous posts. Don't try the Headblade until you get some shaving experience. And yes, an electric foil shaver works great, especially if you get some irritation from a blade at first.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
I don't think you have to avoid the HeadBlade on your first try, but whatever razor you use let the blade to the work and don't push down to hard. Letting the blade due the work will help you avoid irritation and cuts.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
Good advice from all above.  Take it slow, with the grain to start with until your scalp toughens (could take a while), don't press too hard.  Enjoy the freedom and great feeling of confidence as a result. Happy shaving.
Roger

Offline plambermont

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
Just remember, what ever you use for shaving, you will have some irritation for the first two weeks. Your head has to get used to shaving. Give it two weeks and then the irritation will disappear. After that, you will like shaving your head so much that you won't want to go back.

Enter your email address: