Author Topic: Not feeling so confident.  (Read 7483 times)

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
Not feeling so confident.
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:16:45 PM »
So, I've had my head shaved for almost a week and I've gotten some good feedback as well as just some confused looks. When I look in the mirror, I'm pleased with my new look.

So I figured I'd take some pics with my cell phone at work to post here on the forum.

But when I took the photos, I was horrified. I really don't like my looks. I've never been considered classically handsome, but I've gotten my share of attention and, in my adult life, I've gotten a fair amount of attention from sexual interests. I'm neither handsome nor ugly, I think, to be honest. I've been called "cute" and "sexy," but not handsome. But I really, really don't like my face. And the photos just highlighted that.

Perhaps hair distracts from my features, or minimizes my facial weaknesses - and without the hair, my visual flaws are just there, out in the open with no camouflage.

I'm kind of bummed out.

I know that confidence can help to overcome all kinds of flaws, but it's hard to feel confident right now. I kind of hate my face.

Anyone feel similarly?

~ Munk

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Not feeling so confident.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »
No, you are not the first to start doubting yourself this soon. Remember, though, that up until just now you were feeling happy with the look.

Stay calm and commit to the thirty days, sir. Don't start making decisions for another three weeks or so.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 01:05:24 AM »
keep calm and post the photos for us

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:51:50 AM »
I'm 7.5 months into the look, and have moments of doubt, but in my case I just like the feel, the look comes in at a distant 2nd. 

Many years ago, my wife and I were buying a house, we found one that was nice, BUT she didn't like the curb appeal, I asked her if she planned on living in the yard or inside.  Don't let the curb appeal make the choice for you.

If it feels good, I'd keep it going for the 30 days.  Then decide.  Or post some pictures and we will decide for you  ;)

Good luck, and we are behind you 100%.

My $0.02
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »
Make no mistake: I'm not complaining about being bald. In fact, I'm quite enjoying being bald.

The problem I'm having is in dealing with my looks. I just kind of hate my face. Not because I'm bald, although being bald is making my face more prominent than when I had hair.

I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with being dissatisfied with my looks.

I won't post a picture to this thread because y'all are so nice that you'll probably compliment me to make me feel better, and I'm honestly not fishing for compliments.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
Without pictures it's very difficult to see what you are referring to.

I tell people if I don't think that the sly look is for them, and I am pretty sure that others on here do the same.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
I went ahead and posted pics over on my 30-Day Rule/Beginner's Section post. So as not to look like a total attention whore, I won't re-post it over here. Interested folks can pop over there http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=26601.0.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
Based on the pics, your lack of confidence is unwarranted.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 02:37:37 PM »
When I shaved my head almost 4 years ago, it took quite some time before I got used to my own looks. I liked the bald head, but it just wasn't me yet.  I still surprise myself when I see a photo taken from the back ... I don't recognize me.  But have come to accept my look from the front as me.  It's just that we don't see ourselves as others do.

I get plenty of positive comments from people that my bald look is me and folks like it.  I'll agree with them. I like the feel, and at least the front look of a bald head.

Give it time to adjust on yourself.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. We've all got what we've been given and we have to accept it.

Enter your email address: