Author Topic: Bandana in the sun?  (Read 7290 times)

Offline Brydo

• Learning the way of Sly
Bandana in the sun?
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
At the end of the week I'll be heading off on holiday (vacation) where my smooth head will be exposed to 37c/98f degrees heat and I'd like to protect it a little.

I'm not a fan of wearing baseball caps and have ordered some bandanas online to try - is this a suitable form of protecting a shaved head in the heat?

Would welcome some photos of anyone has some - I couldn't find any. :)

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: Bandana in the sun?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
I always wear a bandanna under my bike helmet when riding, I don't need to get some funky tan lines from the vents in the helmet! I either go for a plain one or wild like smiley faces.  If this is for sports and you perspire a lot look up halo headband (they do bandannas and skull caps too) they have a silicone band across the front to divert perspiration from your face
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Brydo

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:51:49 AM »
Those look really cool - one of them may be a good investment as I'm doing a lot of cycling too!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »
Do not omit the sunscreen, even with the bandanna.  Personally, I do not care for wearing caps or bandannas, and I just use good sunscreen.
SlyBeard

Offline Baldheadstore

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
That Halo looks like a nice product, I have to check into them.  If you are still looking for Bandanas, we have a few at baldheadstore.com

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
I spend a lot of time in the sun.  In fact, I just came home from 10 days in Yuma, AZ and Mexicali, MX where it was 125 degrees.

I always wear sunscreen when I know that I am going to be out in the sun for more than than 15- 20 minutes straight.  I hate greasy anything, so I use Neutrogena sheer mist spray.  I love that stuff.  Goes on dry and stays on even when swimming.

When I am out on the bike I wear a biker bandana/skull cap.

When I am walking around in super hot temps I wear a Panama hat with a wide brim to prevent sunstroke. (your brain really can cook in the the 100+ degree temps you know!)

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
As a sly triathlete I'll second Halo brand stuff.  Very good.  Headsweats also makes a good wicking type bandanna.  They'll soak up the sweat really well too.

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
For the past 2 summers, I always carry a bandana/handkerchief in my pocket. Useful in a pinch if I am unexpectedly out in the sun, or if it is really hot and sweat starts to fall into my eye ditto with rain and the kerchief can be Macguyvered into several quick solutions (Dust mask, sling....)

Offline Keith183

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:15:39 PM »
A company called Buff USA makes bandannas and stretchy tube bandanna like products that have UV protection built into the fabric.