Author Topic: Scalp Wrinkles  (Read 5114 times)

Offline sly8ball

• Learning the way of Sly
Scalp Wrinkles
« on: March 18, 2019, 05:05:00 AM »
Hi All, I'm a new member, just joined the site and my first post here.

I'm 53 and have been shaving or buzzing my head with balding clippers for quite a while due to MPB. I'm really ok with the MPB and going sly, always seemed a natural thing to do. I'm not very sly though as my remaining hair is dark / greying and the shadow is pretty obvious  ;D

Recently though, I have noticed that I get scalp wrinkles on the top of my head. Does anyone else get this?

By scalp wrinkles, I don't mean Cutis verticis gyrata, as my head is pretty much smooth, but when I raise my eyebrows, along with my forehead wrinkling (which is normal), my scalp moves (forward) a bit, and the skin on the top of my head gets wrinkles / fine lines as the skin is stretched slightly, across the top. Everything reverts back to 'normal', when I lower my eyebrows.

Not so long ago, I changed the lighting in my bathroom and the spot lights shine on my scalp from behind when I am in front of the mirror, which is when I started to notice this. Maybe my scalp has behaved in the way for quite a while and the lighting has accentuated it, hence that I have only noticed this quite recently. In other mirrors or lighting conditions, it's not so apparent.

I know a lot of guys with MPB, say they get scalp fibrosis and there scalp is really tight, shiny and doesn't move at all. Perhaps, I have MPB, but without any real fibrosis and have a 'loose' scalp? I mean after I shave and wash my head, the skin is pretty tight and has a shine, but as soon as I raise my eyebrows, the skin temporarily wrinkles, longitudinally (front to back direction) along the top of my scalp.

I'm 53, so it could be a natural consequence of aging. I have wrinkles / lines developing on my face due to my age, but really nothing that bothers me at all, so I'm not someone who frets over every single new fine line etc. Thing is, I see guys, who I guess are around my age, and they have wrinkles / line in their face, some more, some less than others, that's normal.. but my scalp?

So, just wondering how other guy's scalps behave, whether BBC or sly bald? As I say, my scalp / scalp skin is pretty much smooth otherwise, except for when I raise my eyebrows.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Scalp Wrinkles
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:54 PM »
I have begun to develop them on the back of my head, about two inches above my
"hairline"

Offline sly8ball

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:03:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply Semi-Sly. I guess you're lucky if you only have them there, as they can't really be seen, from the front. 

I suppose, it's just a combination of genetics, age and sun, that's taken its toll. Since I started losing my hair and began shaving in 1994, I've never worn hats outside. I live in the UK, so it's not the first place you think of for a lot of sunshine, but the summers can be pretty hot on occasions. I do use sunscreen, but a hat is the best way to block UV, so even with sunscreen, I suspect the sun has taken it's toll, after so many years. That's said, in terms of pigment, sun spots etc., there's no real evidence of sun damage. I see older guys, really older guys with loads of sun spots / sun damage, but tight scalps with no wrinkles (as far as I can tell, I only glance in passing sometimes, and as with my wrinkles, if others have them, perhaps it's not really so evident unless, they raise their eyebrows)

It's like most of you guys say on here, everyone's scalp is different, none are perfect and we see more issues (skull shape, dents, marks, lines etc.)  with our own heads than others do, especially as we view them far more closely.

I never wet shaved and have always used an electric shaver - currently Panasonic Arc-5 or Braun series 7  (sometimes, just buzz my noggin real close with a Wahl What a Shaver, with zero gap T-blade) and do push quite hard on the skin when shaving, so it's possible, I've kind of stretched the skin slightly over so many years)

As you can see from the photo the wrinkles aren't obvious and are only visible when I raise my forehead and the top of my head 'puckers up' slightly (for want of a better description). So, that's why I was wondering if others have the odd wrinkle or scalp movement?

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 02:06:38 AM »
your scalp looks great, no evidence of wrinkles.  relax

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:41 AM »
Lol,try to have CVG and we talk.

People complain about everything haha.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 11:42:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply Semi-Sly. I guess you're lucky if you only have them there, as they can't really be seen, from the front. 

I suppose, it's just a combination of genetics, age and sun, that's taken its toll. Since I started losing my hair and began shaving in 1994, I've never worn hats outside. I live in the UK, so it's not the first place you think of for a lot of sunshine, but the summers can be pretty hot on occasions. I do use , but a hat is the best way to block UV, so even with , I suspect the sun has taken it's toll, after so many years. That's said, in terms of pigment, sun spots etc., there's no real evidence of sun damage. I see older guys, really older guys with loads of sun spots / sun damage, but tight scalps with no wrinkles (as far as I can tell, I only glance in passing sometimes, and as with my wrinkles, if others have them, perhaps it's not really so evident unless, they raise their eyebrows)

It's like most of you guys say on here, everyone's scalp is different, none are perfect and we see more issues (skull shape, dents, marks, lines etc.)  with our own heads than others do, especially as we view them far more closely.

I never wet shaved and have always used an  - currently  Arc-5 or  series 7  (sometimes, just buzz my noggin real close with a  What a Shaver, with zero gap T-blade) and do push quite hard on the skin when shaving, so it's possible, I've kind of stretched the skin slightly over so many years)

As you can see from the photo the wrinkles aren't obvious and are only visible when I raise my forehead and the top of my head 'puckers up' slightly (for want of a better description). So, that's why I was wondering if others have the odd wrinkle or scalp movement?

I never really thought much of wrinkles, etc.  That said, your scalp is as good as anyone's. Looks pretty normal.

BTW, Using your dry shavers, how close to you get compared to a standard blade? In terms of showing a 5 o'clock shadow, do you think the dry shaver close to a wet shave?

Offline sly8ball

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 01:08:27 PM »
Not been on here for quite a while.. belated thanks to Dragon, Tony Dadá  & chrisphilly123 for the replys.

As for my scalp wrinkles, I think the top of my head just has a bit more laxity and movement than a lot of guys, no real tightness or fibrosis, so when I raise my eye brows, my perfectly smooth head just wrinkles mildly, as my galea moves foward slightly, otherwise it's not evident.

chrisphilly123 - An electric shaver doesn't get as close as wet shaving, but I find an electric shaver, easier on my scalp, in terms of no discomfort, shaving rash or ingrown hairs (I get almost no problems with an electric foil shaver). I still get a shadow, regardless of whether I wet or dry shave, but in terms of smoothness, obviously the wet shave last a bit longer.

Enter your email address: