Author Topic: What made you go bald?  (Read 283660 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: What made you go bald?
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2007, 07:30:36 AM »
For a doctor, I could see why you might want to look older.  Can't say the new look makes you look a whole lot older...but definitely more distinctive.

I once went for a consultation for a medical procedure (minor surgery) and this young wipper-snapper comes in and my first thought was "This has got to be an intern or male nurse to take my vitals."  But then he says, "Hi, Rob....I'm doctor so and so."

I'm like, "how long has this guy been doing this?"  He was very professional, articulate, friendly and all that...but it felt weird having someone so young ask me to turn my head and cough.

Anyway, your look suits you very well.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 02:34:33 PM »
I agree with the Robmeister. The dome suits you well.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »
What made me go bald???
Well, genetic disposition got it started, a (joking) comment during a Halloween party re-kindled my curiousity to see how I'd look, finding this website strengthened my conviction, and the HeadBlade products helped me finish the job.

Transformation complete, and I love it!

Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline ShinyHappyHead

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Bald is my superpower! And eating pizza.
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »

I'll just post my anecdote from my blog to tell the story.....

"My Naked Pate: the Shiny Happy Head Story"
Written by David M. Muench

As a teenager I was oblivious of any "follically-challenged" issues concerning myself. I had hair, damnit. Not only that, I was working out regularly; looking good and feeling good. It wasn't until I was about twenty-years-old when I realized that my forehead began to grow larger. In retrospect I don't recall being overtly ballistic and calling Sy Sperling every day of the week. You know, he's not only the president.
I wasn't really enjoying the scenario, but I accepted it, mainly because my father was bald.

It was a very gradual metamorphosis from having to worry about "bad hair" days to my "Look everybody! It's George Costanza!" days. Sure, I even had my "Gallagher" days when I grew my hair out longer in back as a Last Hoorah, and wondered why I never possessed a Sledge-O-Matic.

Every single man or woman has been gibed by friends with an exorbitant amount of bald jokes. I particularly enjoy when they pretend to fix their "hair" in the reflection of my expansive forehead. Gee, that never gets old. We've pretty much heard them all. Heck, we've even cut ourselves down. We have also retorted with "Yeah, it's a solar panel for a sex machine baby!" Or one of my favorites: "My hair fell off after hitting the headboard too much."

Truth be known, it can be downright painful. All of a sudden we're Lepers. Or at least we feel that we are. Such as the symbolic "Cutting of Samson's Hair" we feel our masculinity or femininity has been torn from our very souls. Yeah, I wouldn't mind having hair like Fabio; and what really irks me is when people that actually do have hair like Fabio shave their heads. It's like they're saying "Ha-ha. Now watch it grow back full and thick! Oooo, look here, chrome dome, a real hairline!"

Yeah, thanks buddy. Here's your handbasket and One Way Ticket. Now get lost.

I've considered using Rogaine or getting a hair transplant, but I didn't. What I did was venture forth to the Realm of the Extreme. No, I'm still a guy. Not that extreme. Last year after an inebriating night of clubbing (no baby seals were hurt) my buddy and I decided that I should shave my head. Naturally anything sounds reasonable to somebody that only an hour ago that night placed a beer label on his forehead saying; "It's the patch, I'm trying to quit."

Wow! After the task was completed, it was a very surreal feeling. I kept rubbing my head, and thinking to myself "Did I really do this?" That next morning I woke up and placed my hand on the top of my head and thought "Oh, man. I really did this!" It took awhile for my family to accept it with open minds, but now they know it's just who I am. My friends were very quick to accept it, telling me that I had the perfect head to be bald, and that I should have done this a long time ago. They also said it looked very sexy (my "female" friends said that thank you); even better than what my head used to look like. That is exactly what I needed. Another amazing thing happened: The bald jokes almost ceased completely. Almost.

I created the name "Shiny Happy Head" with the help of the REM song "Shiny Happy People", which I thought was very apt nom de plume for me. I also have the website "shinyhappyhead.com" The website focuses not on my shiny, happy head, but in making others smile and laugh; as I no longer dwell on being bald. I now like a clean-shaven head, and it's a plus when women at clubs walk by and rub my shiny, happy head. What can I say, apparently it's a good luck thing.

To the guys that are married and lament about losing your hair; get over it! You have somebody! Do you realize how fortunate you are to have someone to share the rest of your life with that accepts you for who you are? Stop focusing on what you don't have, and start appreciating what you do have.

Bald is Beautiful, baby!
David M.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »
APPLAUSE............. welcome shinyhappyhead. enjoyed that. hope to see more from you.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »
David, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!  That's an awesome post!  I look forward to checking out your site and getting to know you more!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ShinyHappyHead

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Bald is my superpower! And eating pizza.
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2007, 09:16:13 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!  And I just had to get me a Sly Bald Guys t-shirt!  Love the design! 
David M.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!  And I just had to get me a Sly Bald Guys t-shirt!  Love the design! 

Yup we're fashion gurus and stuff
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2007, 01:11:56 PM »

Sweet!  Thanks for the support!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 05:22:53 PM »
Anyone else go bald originally because they lost a Bet?  You got to have faith in your team if you are willing to put your full head of hair on the line, either that or just plain out a combination of stupid and Nuts :px!  I placed the bet that the SeaHawks would make it back to the SuperBowl.  It was either shave my dome, or my friends were going to do it for me... But let me say it just made me more of a SeaHawks fan, for one I proved that I will put anything up to prove faith in my team, and for two: I LOOK DAMN GOOD WITH A SHAVED HEAD!!!  I am almost happier that the SeaHawks didn't make it (I guess you got to find solace in something, and you can't be drinking beer 24/7).  A true WIN/WIN situation.
Peace

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
I think you're on your own there, Clean.  On both accounts, thinking the Seahawks would make it to another Superbowl  :/O and shaving the dome on a bet.  :P ;)  Great story, thanks  :)
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »
I think you're on your own there, Clean.  On both accounts, thinking the Seahawks would make it to another Superbowl  :/O and shaving the dome on a bet.  :P ;)  Great story, thanks  :)
Just wait, next year the stars will align again!  Except this time I am going to have to place a different bet, seeing as I am now rockin' the Bald Look for good... Maybe another Tattoo?   
Peace

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2007, 07:47:11 PM »
Wait your from Phoenix ??? :-\ Why aren't you a fan of the Cards?  :*))

Offline Brad

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
I have never Had long hair.  I could not stand it.  I once managed to grow it to shoulder length almost.  That was my freshman year in High School the rest of High School was a flat top.  After High School was a comb able high and tight partially provided bye the Army.

About 7years ago I got tired of going to the barber.  Stopped at Bi-Mart Picked up a Razor went home started cutting my hair with a #3.  My three year old wanted to try it.  So for the next three years my daughter was my barber(wife was not very happy :Xo! about the short hair.)  then 4 years ago a friend of mine Developed Uterine cancer.  She was very proud over her thick Black Samoan hair.  This was the Catalyst to the rest of my hair Vanishing.  My wife was not very happy  :x!.  But then she was out of town.  Still don't know what she thinks.  All she says its your head.  And yes were still married :@`.

Well today I have been shaving my head everyday.  My friend now has shoulder length hair and no more cancer.

However I have had this question in the back of my head for a long time.  Even though my head is slick how do I get beyond the little dark stubble?  How much is electrolysis?

There is one and only one option No hair.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
Well that is a win for everybody! O0 You become sly, wife get a sly husband and friend has a great friend without cancer. O0