Author Topic: Shaved my head and I still have dandruff. What to do?  (Read 79167 times)

Offline MrDurandPierre

• Learning the way of Sly
Shaved my head and I still have dandruff. What to do?
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
Hi all. I'm a newcomer here as I just shaved my head for the first time last week and it looked great. Then I shaved it again a week later only to discovery I'd built up a pretty noticeable amount of dandruff in the interim. It wouldn't be a terrible amount of dandruff with hair, but with a shaved head it's rather noticeable (looks like a molting sunburn) and I'm embarrassed to leave the house without a hat!

Further details:
-I've been using clippers set to their minimum length. This is partially because I'm afraid a razor would irritate my skin or I'd miss a spot (or go over parts unequally), but I also actually prefer a bit of gritty stubble to a glossy dome.

-Prior to shaving my head I'd use the Neutrogena T-Gel about twice a week. This never completely eliminated dandruff, but it reduced it quite a bit. In my week shaved I continued to use it a couple of times, but I didn't leave it in very long as I figured it was kind of pointless (I mostly just did it out of habit). Once I re-shaved my head and noticed the dandruff build-up I washed my scalp again, this time leaving it in for a few minutes. It looked great wet, but once my head dried it was as flaky as ever. Could the dandruff shampoo actually be making things worse now that I have a shaved head?

Anyway, now I'm not sure if I should keep using dandruff shampoo, eliminate shampoo altogether (then use what? Soap?), start rubbing moisturizer on my head, or attempt a full shave with a razor and hope for the best (this could backfire horribly if the flaky stuff is still there). I'm leaning towards the moisturizer option, but want to hear feedback from others who've experienced this.

Oh, and how long should it take for whichever option you suggest to work? One wash/application? A few times? A week? Longer?

Thanks!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Re: Shaved my head and I still have dandruff. What to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
Chronic dandruff is one reason I went sly. For me, keeping my head completely smooth has also kept me free of dandruff. It's not until I have two or three days worth of stubble that the dandruff starts to come back. I gave up the shampoo when I went sly and switched to using a bar of soap to keep my scalp clean. And witch hazel helps control the shine.
Hair is over rated.

Mahalo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:05:17 AM »
DO NOT use T-Gel as a cleanser prior to shaving your head. It will dry your scalp horribly. Some hot water and bar soap/body wash will do the trick. When I started shaving my head a year ago I had a dry scalp even after moisturizing, it will will go away over time. Make sure you use Aloe Vera after you finish shaving. It makes all the difference and will make your dandruff completely go away. At least that is my experience with it. Make sure the Aloe Vera is non alcohol.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:47:09 AM »
Have you given any thought to trying an exfoliator? There's St. Ives Apricot Scrub and a generic knock-off of that called Equate that's sold by Walmart. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby they sell exfoliator in bar form which is what I've been using for the last 6 months or so. I used to get dry skin on my forehead which is not an area that I ever shave. It was not so much that it was noticeable as it was an annoyance because I was able to feel it. Since I started using this stuff that dry skin on my forehead is gone.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »
when i had hair i had chronic dandriff, Ive been maintaining a bic'd head since 2004, the dandriff went away but i have been shaving my head everyday about 99 percent of the time.
id just get some shaving cream and a gillette fusion and that should do the trick.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »
Once I started blade shaving, my dandruff problem went away.  I think the daily head scrape removes any flakes before they are large enough to see and the lack of hair allows the scalp to naturally exfoliate.  I also used the generic version of Apricot Scrub recommended by Buddha at first, but now have eliminated that step without issues.

I do get some dandruff in my beard now that is controlled with mild dandruff shampoo (Head and Shoulders)
SlyBeard

andrewswenson

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »
Hey man, I had this exact same problem and it was 90% of the reason why I shaved my head for the first time.

First of all, don't use exfoliants or anti dandruff shampoos. I promise you it will not make it better.

I have the perfect solution for you:

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap

Go find it at a local health foods store or order it off amazon in bulk for cheaper.

It's the greatest soap on earth and it's been around for around 100 years. Completely natural and it's vegetable oil based. Pine Tar is proven by thousands of testimonials and my own personal experience to heal a s*** load of skin conditions, especially dandruff. It seriously saved my social life and I use it for my head face and body and it keeps pimples away along with dandruff and dry skin.

Use pure jojoba oil on your scalp after you get out of the shower and it will go away very fast. Just be patient. Also, don't wash your scalp more than once a day. In fact, I highly recommend that on the day you washed and shaved your scalp, you wait 2-3 days to wash or shave it again. Just apply jojoba oil to moisturize every morning when you wake up on the days you don't wash it. Jojoba oil balances the sebum production so your skin doesn't produce too much or too little oil while also keeping your pores unclogged.

Take my advice and you'll heal up in no time dude. Peace.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 12:44:23 PM »

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap

Go find it at a local health foods store or order it off amazon in bulk for cheaper.

This sounds good, I'm going on Amazon and secure a supply. Thanks.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

andrewswenson

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap

This sounds good, I'm going on Amazon and secure a supply. Thanks.

Glad I could help. You won't regret it.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:53:24 PM »
Use an anti dandruff shampoo such as head and shoulders, and possibly try a different lotion. If you're omitting lotion that could be the cause of the flaking.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 01:55:44 AM »
That was my deal it didn't matter if my hair was short or long I had constant dandruff.if I forget to blade shave in about three days the dandruff will come back.  I have to stay completely bic'd in order to avoid reoccurrence of dandruff.

I don't know why.

Once I started blade shaving, my dandruff problem went away.  I think the daily head scrape removes any flakes before they are large enough to see and the lack of hair allows the scalp to naturally exfoliate.  I also used the generic version of Apricot Scrub recommended by Buddha at first, but now have eliminated that step without issues.

I do get some dandruff in my beard now that is controlled with mild dandruff shampoo (Head and Shoulders)

Offline Roy-Patton

• Learning the way of Sly
    • Antidandruff.net
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »
Hey Guys!

I have turned the forums, chatrooms, websites & books upside down to find an answer to the question that was asked by thousands, including SlyBalGuys forum members -  Should I shave my head because of dandruff?

I decided to publish a case study about it!
Why? I have quickly realized that there are a lot of myths and misinformation being spread. That is why I decided to share my own learnings and provide a quality and well researched informations in my post.

Sounds interesting? Read all about it here:
http://www.antidandruff.net/will-my-dandruff-problem-go-away-if-i-shave-my-hair-off/

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 04:58:11 AM »
I saw 'head and shoulders' shampoo recommended above. 

There is a RX strength you might consider. Selenium Sulfide is the active ingredient. Ask your doctor about it.  It also works for Tinea Versicolor, a skin rash/discoloration caused by a virus.