Author Topic: Considering the military...  (Read 15782 times)

Offline mysteriousmind

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Considering the military...
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »
I havent read all of the debate on wether joing or not joining the forces or not, but ill jump in. On a military point of view.  I joined the canadian forces in 2006 as a reserve member and been working full time since.. So im as a reg guy, working on the base with reg guys.

And for me it was not even  a political questions, I was not a question of morality. I did it because I had to do it. and I dont regret it. Some of you might ask why I am not joining the reg force, and i will answer this with this...I'm married and I havent got the guts to go against my wife wishes...because she would not want to get posted else were then Quebec city. For the rest. I wish to do it in my deepest soul.

But Im a whimp. As for Afghanistan or Iraq. Dont even ask about it if its ok or not to be there...think of it for now being in the army is a economicly  safe job...army rarely cuts job. and if its not in Irak or Afghanistan...guess what it will be somewere else.

Now for the original question wheter navy or other element I cannot answer for you. Im deep inside me green army and for me there were no way I was going to go navy or airforce.

Im proud of what im doing...I found something that made sense in my universe. Now im working at the clothing store of the base. I saw myself working there. I'm happy, having a good group to work with.

I know my experience is one thing...but I wantend to talk about it.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 02:14:45 AM »
If you think too hard about it your just gonna get overwhelmed, either you do it or you dont. You need to simplify the objective and follow through with your decision, every branch has something to offer. I scored a 95 on my asvab and my Marine recruiter asked me what M.O.S. ( job ) I wanted and I told him I wanted to be a grunt, so I became an 0331 ( machine gunner ) I've been a Marine for roughly 9 years and it was the best decision I made. And be advised, the individuals that tell you that they have many reasons not to join, might have had a bad experience with recruiters or didn't have the moxy or patience to follow through even with the process of joining the service. Regardless of any branch the military isnt for everyone. Take your time and follow threw, remember slow is fast. O0

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:56:35 AM by ShadowSide »

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 11:23:54 AM »
BTW Camp, in no way am I telling you to join the Corps and be a trigger puller, but you'll never meet a Marine grunt that'll say he regretted it. Have you ever considered Intel, every branch has a Intel field? It is mandatory to have a top secret clearance ( no troubles with the law ) and there's a diverse field of intelligence jobs for enlisted from cryptology to battlefield/human assesment. Is any branch better than the other, yes and no but I'm biased towards the Marine Corps and I heard the Navy is pretty squared away in that field as well. I'm actually in the process of re-enlisting in the Army, from my understanding they pretty much lead the way for intel primarily for there threat assesment and discretionary capabilities, but that might actually apply as a whole for all........Oh yeah unfortunately the Mohawks gonna have to go, that's way beyond a high reg my friend but it suits you well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:10:08 PM by ShadowSide »

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
High and tight is the name of the game.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »
I am an Air Force active duty recruiter and a sly bro... Ask away
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »
Ok so I took the official ASVAB today at MEPS and I scored a 90 overall--but I qualified for any job I could ever want in the Navy including all of the nuke jobs.

Nick--what would be the benefits in going Air Force vs Navy?

IF I choose to join the military, I would like to put my potential to the best use possible and leave myself some good outs for when I become a civilian.  I was thinking something along the lines of electronics or computers because they would probably give me the best options post military.  I don't think I could hack it in the Nuke stuff honestly ha ha.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Ok so I took the official ASVAB today at MEPS and I scored a 90 overall--but I qualified for any job I could ever want in the Navy including all of the nuke jobs.

Nick--what would be the benefits in going Air Force vs Navy?

IF I choose to join the military, I would like to put my potential to the best use possible and leave myself some good outs for when I become a civilian.  I was thinking something along the lines of electronics or computers because they would probably give me the best options post military.  I don't think I could hack it in the Nuke stuff honestly ha ha.

Ok there are many more factors that determine your jobs besides the ASVAB. Physical things that unfortunatly cannot be found out until you take your physical... 

You need to decide that you want to serve and make the commitment before you go to MEPS. In these tough economic times we face I cant think of a more certain career than the Armed Forces. I challenge you to go find a job that can match the full line of benefits at the point you are at in your life. I joined when I was 23 and had a little life experience. It has made me appreciate it even more. I can go on all day about the features and benefits..

As far as which branch is better? Listen we are all on the same team. I have been overseas supoorting Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom three times. I have served with every branch in the DOD. We are all on the same team... There are subtle differences when it comes to quality of life issues, but we all pay the same, same insurance, same vacation time, same tuition assistance. I will not bash any branch or pick another branch apart. As an Air Force member I am thankful for the role every single uniformed man and woman plays. U need to look at things like Retainability. the USAF has a high retainability rate. We have that for a reason. Do your research my friend and make sure all questions are answered and every issues is out on the table before you go to MEPS. Make it happen!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »
Being in the Navy your most likely going to do dome sea duty for the fleet, if your Airmen your probably going to do duty on ground or in the wild blue yonder. Me personally If I were you and had to choose between the two, be an Airmen, they have a high promotion rate and they have a high re-enlistment. Want to work with electronics? I'd suggest some kind of communications like signals or satellite, that's a great billet to have when you transition back to being a civ. Coming from the ground combat element i love throwing lead and lots of it, I just wish the Airforce would take prior service because I would be all over that aerial gunner job, running a .50 cal from a 53 pave low or a minigun from a pavehawk helicopter would be so bad a$$  ( now why does the airforce get the coolest toys :Xo! )
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:17:35 PM by ShadowSide »

BaldRob

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
And the Air Force gives out free golf lessons when you successfully complete Basic Training!  ;)

If you are looking at your long term goals, as far as what you would like to do once you get out or retire, definitely go Navy or Air Force.  While the Army has a lot of the same job types, I think that most here would agree that both the USN and USAF have the best technical training and job fields.  I know first hand about the Navy's Advanced Electronic Field... I was in it and I was an instructor for it!  Also, a lot of employers (mine included) will hire vets over non-vets 99% of the time.

When it comes down to electronics, you have to decide which way you want to go... Crypto, RADAR, Communications are the three main types.  I was Fire Control, which was the weapon system side that dealt with RADAR, computers, electro-mechanical, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc.

As far as sea duty in the Navy... It definitely isn't an easy life, but it is well worth it!  Nothing against the other branches, but depending on the length of the deployment, you probably will see anywhere from 10 - 12 different ports (and countries) on a 6 month deployment.  Obviously you won't see as many on shorter deployments, but rarely do you go out for more than a few weeks without stopping somewhere...  I've seen multiple places in all of the countries that I've been to, plus a lot of "show the flag" ports here in the US!  Boston for the Marathon, New Orleans for Mardi Gras, Ft. Lauderdale for Broward County Navy Days, etc...

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:28 PM »
BaldRob--I was actually considering fire control!

What kind of openings has it left you with since you got out of the Navy?
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

sluggo

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »
Hey Camp, I haven't read through all 3 pages of posts so please forgive me if I'm repeating something someone else has already said. I spent 4 years in the Army, then 4 more years in the Coast Guard and now have been with the Navy (as a civilian) for over 8.

I think the military is a great place to start and with the current economy its hard to find a job with that kind of security.

My recommendation is please take a serious look at the Coast Guard. People don't realize it but the New York police department has more people than the CG does and that equates to being a person and not a number. The other advantage CG has over the others is you're helping people here at home (99% of the time) on a daily basis. In the Army I got sick of always training to do my job (obviously before Iraq) but in the CG I DID my job every day. Granted there are only about 18 different enlisted jobs in the CG but there is enough of an overlap that I'm sure you will find something that you can enjoy.

I enjoyed my time a lot and still keep in touch with the many friends I made while I was in. Its a rewarding experience and one that I would encourage you to explore.

Best of luck!

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »
Rob - I am active duty Air Force, on my way out. Even though I'm getting out, I don't regret joining one single bit. I am a better person for it. I've been very successful in the Air Force. I've made rank as quickly as possible, I've won several awards.

I am an electronics technician. I scored a 99 *pat on back* and was open to any job in the military, until I did so-so on my hearing test. At MEPS they throw you in a room with 10 other guys and you all do your hearing test at once. Well, some a$$hole thought it would be funny to kick his chair. The MEPS folks wouldn't let us retake it (it would be unfair to let all of us retake it and no one else, after all; plus they want to get people in and out), so I stuck with my score. Anyway, all the hearing test kept me out of was about 4 jobs out of the 180+ the Air Force has (or had at the time, it might be near 150 or so now). Realistically speaking there's no difference between your 92 and my 99. Virtually every job treats a 65 or above "good enough". If I remember correctly, the number isn't a percentage, but rather the percentile that you scored in.

Even in this economy I have several options in front of me. For example, I am waiting to hear back on a job in Puerto Rico with the National Weather Service. I am a finalist for the job right now. I am 24, single, and debt-free, and this job will pay me $60K to start. Not a bad place to be in, eh? I have the option to go work in Honolulu, in Alaksa, in Naples, in Southern Italy right now as well.

I was lucky enough to get stationed where I am, and then was lucky enough to be transfered to a shop on this base where I do some specialized work. Luck has played a good bit in my experience, but I am convinced that you DO have a good amount of control over how your military career goes.

If electronics is your thing, I would join the Navy. The Navy has better electronics schools. I was originally trained in navigation aids, but you can do that in the Navy, too. The Navy equipment is similar to the Air Force equipment, except it also is accommodated for the unique challenges that being on a boat presents. As such, the Navy training is more in-depth and Navy electronics technicians generally have a better grasp of electronics theory because they are forced to do so. You have to improvise a lot out at sea. The Air Force training isn't crap or anything, though.

If quality of life is your most important concern, I'd go Air Force. Making rank is slower in the Air Force, though, so if that's a concern then again, you'll want to go Navy. Be advised, though: the Navy rank structure is confusing to the point of absurdity. Guys have their job, their skill level, and all sorts of sh*t in their rank. You have to pause for breath when addressing those guys (I'm being a little facetious here but it is kind of ridiculous; that would be a silly reason for not joining the Navy of course)

Going to school will be a lot easier to do in the Air Force as well. I have two associates degrees right now (one in business, the other in electronics - two totally different things, I know) and am working on my bachelor's in Finance. I've only had to pay for books, and if I took the initiative to apply for some of the scholarships that the various base organizations offer (such as the Officers' Wives Club) I could have had my books paid for as well.

I've been to Italy once, Australia twice. I've been to Perth, Sydney, Rome, and London. I've also been in remote parts of the two countries. I have swam next to 5-ft sharks. I've caught lobster and ate it three hours later - all on the military's dime. I've slept with exotic women and believe it or not there wasn't even money exchanged. The military has treated me very well.
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »
My recommendation is please take a serious look at the Coast Guard. People don't realize it but the New York police department has more people than the CG does and that equates to being a person and not a number. The other advantage CG has over the others is you're helping people here at home (99% of the time) on a daily basis. In the Army I got sick of always training to do my job (obviously before Iraq) but in the CG I DID my job every day. Granted there are only about 18 different enlisted jobs in the CG but there is enough of an overlap that I'm sure you will find something that you can enjoy.

I second this. The only problem I had with the Coast Guard is that in the ENTIRE CITY OF HOUSTON, which is the nation's busiest port, there was ONE Coast Guard recruiter. One! And he was way the hell out of the way. I could never get in touch with the guy, so I just went to the Air Force recruiter down the street.
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline BReady

• Sly
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I figure I would put my 2 cents in.

As far as the ASVAB and eligibility for certain MOS's, it's not just the total score.  You have different elements of the asvab that you scored in.  I was an I level avionics tech in the Marine Corps and the total asvab score requirement was 75 (I think... it's been a while), but you needed atleast a 100 (again it's been a while) on your GT score (I think this stands for general technical?).  I don't remember the other elements but I am sure they would show up in a quick google search.

And don't rule out the Marine Corps.  Although every Marine is a rifleman, we still have individual MOS's just like the other branches.  As a matter of fact, a lot of our schooling is done with the Navy (my A school, for example, was AEA school which is for aviation electricians in the Navy).  Even in the fleet, there's a good chance you'll work w/ sailors.  Our squadron was half Marine, half Sailor by the time I left.

BReady

SBG written at 5 micron field of view on an electron microscope (kind of messed up the B, but you get the picture).

BReady

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »
I've been considering joining for years now, I wanted to join the Marines right out of high school, but was unfortunately stopped by my mother. There's still a chance of me going, and I'll be ecstatic if i can finally do it. I say go for it, there's a lot of courage, dignity and pride in the military. Hopefully I'll be there one day as well!

Enter your email address: