Author Topic: Considering the military...  (Read 16631 times)

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
Considering the military...
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:17:11 PM »
I've been batting the idea around for a long time.  I finally went down to the recruiters office a few weeks ago and took the practice ASVAB and talked to some recruiters.

I scored a 92 on the practice....which I was told is pretty good.

I'm leaning towards the navy...but I wouldn't rule out the chairforce.

Any input or advice from anyone?  Any reasons NOT to join? Reasons to join?  Anyone regret joining?

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Considering the military...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:32:33 PM »
1st off dont even get me started lol. theres TONS of reasons not to join. i was in the same boat as you. i took the test, got the physical and was sooooo close to signing the paper to join the navy until i slapped myself and really thought about what i was getting into. im not gonna discuss all the reasons why its a bad idea because itll take up like 5 pages.

2ndly, how the hell did you score a 92? lol. i scored a 46 on the practice and even worse on the ASVAB lol. i got like a 39 on the ASVAB and i think 32 is passing lol.

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:36:38 PM »

2ndly, how the hell did you score a 92? lol. i scored a 46 on the practice and even worse on the ASVAB lol. i got like a 39 on the ASVAB and i think 32 is passing lol.

I test well ha ha.  The recruiter looked at my test score and said "what? couldn't get another 7 points?"  I guess 99 is the max score ha ha.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:11 AM »
Camp,

Before deciding to join, you have to ask yourself "Why do I want to do this?"

There are many great things about any branch of the military and some not so great things also...  The best source of information about the services are people that have been there.  We have a ton of Navy, Marine, Army, Coast Guard, and Air Force vets on this board and none of us will sugar coat it for you.  It is a tough but rewarding life and always remember, you get out of it what you put into it.

With an ASVAB of 92 (which demonstates a very high potential for learning), you can get any job in any branch of the service, with some exceptions, i.e., you can't be in electronics if you are color blind.  If you decide to proceed, definitely get a guaranteed school/job.  Also, and this is just personal opinion, go for the Navy or Air Force.  The technical training in both are top-notch.  Electronics (Communications, RADAR, SONAR, Weapons), Nuclear, Crypto, Power Generation, Propulsion, etc, are highly sought after fields both in and out of the military.

Quality of life...  Air Force is the best, hands down.  I'm a Navy vet and will never regret that decision, but the QOL does leave something to be desired.  It's not bad, but it's not great either, and the Navy is a much different way of life than any of the other services.

The biggest thing about being in the military is to always think about life after the military.  I knew guys that did their job and nothing else... they weren't prepared when they retired or got out.  Others, like myself, took full advantage of the various education programs and got my degree while I was in.  That leaves my GI Bill for Post-grad work.

Whether you do one enlistment or stay for 20 (or more) years and retire, you'll never be worse off for it, unless of course you do something incredibly stupid and get court martialed.

Ask any of us here anything you'd like about our respective branches... we'll give it to you straight.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:27 AM »
Camp,

BaldRob gave you top notch advice and there isn't a whole lot I can add.

I also am a Navy veteran and took advantage of the schooling which led me to the jobs I had after being discharged. I never had any regrets of serving although a few times I questioned my decision when I was cruising up and down the Mekong River during the Vietman War.

I guess only you know what your looking for and I wish you the best of luck !!     O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
Camp, not much to add to the other bros and the great advice from BaldRob.   For career job choices, hard to beat the Navy and the Air Force.   As a retired Marine I have worked with both branches on many operations and always had found them to be true professionals.  With an ASVAB score that high, I think you should investigate the wide job opportunities available to you.   You might be surprised what cool choices there are for you that would transfer to a civilian career
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
One of my biggest regrets was not joining the armed forces.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »
One of my biggest regrets was not joining the armed forces.

Make that plus one. If I had done it right outta high school it wouldn't have been a big deal. Problem is I waited until after a knee surgery and that was an automatic DQ.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
I guess the ultimate question is; to you want to be part of the war machine?  And;  how willing are you to serve someplace like Iraq or Afghanistan?

Totally uncalled for and you know it, John....by the way, why did you remove your avatar after that comment?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:19:24 PM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
I was going to add something but BaldRob said it all as far as I'm concerned.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »
I guess the ultimate question is; to you want to be part of the war machine?  And;  how willing are you to serve someplace like Iraq or Afghanistan?

Totally uncalled for and you know it, John....by the way, why did you remove your avatar after that comment?

I agree with Schro. This is no place for political statements.

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
I am a very proud Marine parent...  but with your scores, and perhaps the well being of your parent's mental health... I would encourage you to look at the Air Force a bit harder than the other branches.  Thank you for your willingness to lay it on the line for our country! 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
I didn't serve, so I don't have any advice, but I do want to offer my thanks and appreciation to all that serve(d) in our armed forces.  We don't do enough for our brave soldiers, both while they're serving and afterward.
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline FrankyG

• Sly Jr.
  • Nothing beats jumping out of a plane at 800 ft :-)
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »
I have been serving in the Army now for 6 1/2 years. My bit of advice is make sure you completely think this through and seriously research each service. In the Army I have had a lot of tough years, but they have been good. I have formed friendships and bonds that can't be seperated. You have a bond with anyone who has ever served in any service because of your commonality. What I can tell you from my experience

Navy-You spend a lot of time away from home depending on your job, but you get to travel
Army-Get some great opportunities for travel, but right now the odds of you being away from home for a year at a time are very high
Air Force-Though they get the most flack, they take care of their own. From everything I heard you will never be left wanting.
Marines-I don't know too much about them, but of all the services I will say they have the most pride, which does get them a lot of flack

Now things to actually think about and keep in your mind

Research your job options before you go
Know what you want and don't let yourself get swayed
Which service will offer you the most of what you want

On a very serious note...Do not join the military for the college money or any short of truelly wanting to serve your country and put the welfare of others well before your own. You will have long days, sleepless nights, and challenging encounters. If you don't go into this with the right frame of mind you risk causing yourself problems with poor attitude or any number of things. I have seen this many times so that is my fair warning.

I am going to reiterate the service is going to be a tough time no matter which service you join. It is truely a lifestyle and not a job. When you go in you are no longer Johnny on the block. So take soem time way your options and talk to all services, and remember you want to join the Army and become Airborne ;) Just my last minute sales pitch. :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:26:22 PM by FrankyG »
Airborne, means never missing a chance to remind people you are better than them :)

GASlick

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »
I never served either, but I come from a strong Navy family.  Both of my grandfathers were Navy in World War 2.  I agree with the other post that if I would have done it right after high school, I probably would have jumped right in.

With that said, I would advise not joining the military for the perks (education, travel, job skills, etc) without being 100% willing to accept the responsibilities of protecting the interests of the USA.

Thanks to all who have served!