Author Topic: A BIG thank you  (Read 4930 times)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
A BIG thank you
« on: June 29, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »
I am writing this as a guy who never served in the military. A few days ago I had the honor of doing some service work for one of the few surviving veterans of WW2. As I was about to leave I took a second to thank this elderly man for his service to our country and told him I recognized that without him doing his part we would have one less chance of enjoying the freedoms we have today. I was not prepared for the response. That old retired Marine welled up with tears and he told me no one ever said that anymore and he thought no one even cared. His response really gave me something to think about.

So as we approach the 4th I just wanted to say thank you to you to all of you active or veterans for what you are doing for the rest of us out here. One of my biggest regrests in life was that I did not serve. You men (and women too) are heroes and I just want you to know on behalf of me and my family we appreciate what you are doing.  God bless each and everyone of you.

Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
Re: A BIG thank you
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »
I know how he felt. These days many people take our service people for granted or even distain. As a vet myself I appreciate the occasional recognition.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:59:45 AM »
as someone who never had the chance to serve. (born with spina-bifida) i understand how you feel hammer.  i rarely pass up the opportunity to thank a solder/veteran. very patriotic civilian here. teach my kids to do the same. it makes me proud to see my sons walk up to a soldier and shake his hand to say thanks. means alot to the men and women that serve/served this country. thanks again.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

buuckkweet

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:26:09 AM »
So as we approach the 4th I just wanted to say thank you to you to all of you active or veterans for what you are doing for the rest of us out here. One of my biggest regrests in life was that I did not serve. You men (and women too) are heroes and I just want you to know on behalf of me and my family we appreciate what you are doing.  God bless each and everyone of you.
My friend, THANK YOU for recognizing us! O0
I know how he felt. These days many people take our service people for granted or even distain. As a vet myself I appreciate the occasional recognition.
Very well said Trucker!!  I'm a 12 year man myself.  80-92.  I wanted to do 20, but family back home took priority.  No regrets.   O0
as someone who never had the chance to serve. (born with spina-bifida) i understand how you feel hammer.  i rarely pass up the opportunity to thank a solder/veteran. very patriotic civilian here. teach my kids to do the same. it makes me proud to see my sons walk up to a soldier and shake his hand to say thanks. means alot to the men and women that serve/served this country. thanks again.
PBurke, Bless you for teaching your children respect and honor.   O0

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »

Thanks Hammer! You are very kind to recognize the efforts of all of our military members. I did 10 years with 2 different branchs (Air Force, Army) and sincerely appreciate it when someone, like yourself acknowledges what this country enjoys because of the work and sacrifices of those who serve/served proudly. O0

Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
Good Stuff, Gang !!! O0

My dad is 83....served in WWII....active battle in the Navy against the Japanese in the South Pacific....Midway & stuff........man, the stories I grew up with.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:25:14 AM »
I never served but my Dad was an Airborne guy and my Uncle was a Green Beret. In our family, we have the utmost respect for all the Military.

Thank you to all you guys that served and may still be serving. I know that if it weren't for men like you, I, my beautiful wife and kids wouldn't have the lives we have. God Bless every single one of you.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:25:44 AM »
Thanks for the great story and reminder HAMMER..........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »
hammer:  thanks 4 sharing that inspirational story.  i have never served either but my dad is a navy vet who served 20-something years in the US NAVY.  he is so proud of that.  as i'm very proud of him.

i would like 2 thank ALL current and past military men & women who serve and have served this great country!!! O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

GASlick

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 07:26:16 PM »
SALUTE!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »
THANK YOU !

Offline captain blackleg

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »
I actually came in here with the same intentions of thanking you all as well.

About 4 years ago I was getting tattooed in MA by a friend of mine who was a Marine, while we were taking a smoke break, a guy walked down the street and my friend Vinnie struck up a conversation with him when the guy noticed his Marine tattoo, the first words out of Vinnie's mouth when the guy mentioned he served in Vietnam was "welcome home", the guy burst into tears and told Vinnie that was the first time someone had welcomed him home. I couldn't believe it. Vinnie told me to always remember that, and I will forever.

So to all you vets, welcome home and to all those who have served thank you very much.

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
AMEN
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 04:40:20 AM »
I come from a long line of veterans and have about 26 years of combined active and reserve time in the Army(split roughly 50/50).

The WWII vets never cease to amaze to me, particularly given to the way many of our elected officials act in congress.  They didnt ask "Why?", they didnt demand daycare or $100,000 sign-up bonuses, they saw the need and they went and did it. Selflessly. My dad QUIT high school to join the Marines during WWII.  My grandfather was a young man and farmer that went and served for WWI. It does bring tears to my eyes, particularly as these chapters are closed with our vets passing. I'm 48 YOA.  I remember how those Vietnam vets were treated when they arrived home in airports in many of our liberal cities by the same groups of people that are in power today.

I started my military training in the late 70s and entered actived duty in early 82.  We were just coming off the flaky 70s and the military was being "rebuilt".  I will NEVER forget being in a tactical vehicle convoy going from Ft. Lewis, WA over the mountains to Yakima Firing Center with the 9th Infantry Division and having cars pass us with the passengers waving the American flag and mouthing "Thank You" through the car windows(this was on the Interstate). I felt so pride in being an American and it was "good" to show the flag again. We have the Gipper to thank for much of that. I dont believe that many Americans really know how far our military slid during the 70s, particularly the Army, and a REALLY big thank you should be extended to the good career Soldiers that stuck it out during the 70s and carried the Army baton and passed it to troopers like me.  We had a troubled Army that had been allowed to decay by our Congress and not all of those men were great Americans and good Soldiers but many were and they saved the Army.

Thanks to all for the many Thanks and appreciation!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:50:34 AM by skinhead002 »

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 09:14:28 PM »
Great thoughts Skinhead002
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt