Author Topic: boot camp  (Read 7798 times)

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
boot camp
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:31:22 AM »
What up sly,

So I am going to be leaving to Air Force Basic Training pretty soon within the next few months, I do shave my head regularly..due to Male Pattern Baldness pretty thin at the front/receding. I am only 21 and I was wondering if they will let you shave your head in bootcamp? It seems like it would be tough with not a lot of time probably being the only one shaving the head lol. Did anybody else go in already bald? did you get to shave your head or was there enough time.. I really dont want to have to grow it out during the time there that would suck..thanks

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: boot camp
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:44:23 AM »
Welcome to the Forum JR!!

I cna't answer your question but I'll bet someone here can...... be sure to check back!

Thanks for choosing to serve our great Country!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »
One of the things that you are issued in the military is a brand new buzz cut weather you want one or not. Up until a few years ago you could not shave your head but they have relented on that point. During basic I would go with a buzz, due to the fact that  time is at a premium in the mornings. This is Army experience talking. Maybe AF is different.

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
right on tom.

Offline TheSlyKang

• Sly Jr.
  • Don't blame me. I voted for the old guy & hot chic
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
Not sure what their rules are now. But I can assure you it isn't wise to show up with a mullet! Ohhh why did I do that!?!?!?  Who'd have thought I'd end up sly for life!
Don't blame me. I voted for the old guy and the hot chick!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »
LOL...whatever you show up with will be gone PDQ.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »

This will give you  some idea.

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »
hey yall i see that you guys have misread my question.. Im not worried about getting my head shaved when i get there cuz im already going to be bald. So I guess I just skip the whole haircut process. My question was, Do you think i will be able to maintain the bald head. I do not want to grow it out. I might not have a choice. I was just wondering since it takes about 5mins to get a complete shave. If you know what im sayin' Thanks

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:19 PM »
Yeah I love that beginning by the way. Best military movie.

Offline Smoof

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
Like what has been said above, it was against regs (in the Army) to shave your head completely for a long time.  They Sly look was considered a "fad" haircut.  That has been relaxed over the recent year as shown by GEN Ray Odierno, commander of the US troops in Iraq.  

That all being said, after having been on both sides of basic training (in it and cadre running it), I think you might just want to consider letting your hair grow out a bit.  I don't know about AF boot camp, but in the Army, the last thing you really want to do is to do anything that actively seeks out attention.  Drill Sergeants have wonderful ways of giving it to you!  The amount of time you have to care for your skin/hair is also going to likely be restricted.  

Again, I sure could be wrong.  Given what it was like when I went through, I'd wait until you get to whatever the AF's equivalent of AIT is.

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 02:27:46 PM »
Cool smoof. Thanks alot Ill deal with it either way good dome piece by the way what do you put on that head, what razor do you use

Offline Smoof

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »
I'm still experimenting.  That all being said, I'm currently using Bald Guyz Clear Gel, a Fusion razor (against the grain), witch hazel, and Headblade Matte SPF30.  I'm one of the "lucky" ones who has oily skin, though, so...wow...can I make a shine on the old chrome dome!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »
Hey there...

my sly MPB buddy just recently joined the army..

His deal...went in shaved smooth....

just couldn't shave in basic...got cuts like the other bro's...then once he graduated...shaved it slick bald..they are fine with that..

just bootcamp...EVERYONE must look the same..period!

Good luck bro!

Offline Smoof

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
Sounds just about like what I would have expected.  Part of the purpose of Basic is to break you down and make you just another "one of the soldiers."

BALDANDRE

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
SMOOF...bro friggin awesome shine on that perfect bald dome!!! O0