Author Topic: Air Force Fire Protection  (Read 14771 times)

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
Air Force Fire Protection
« on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:43 PM »
Hey SBGs

I am looking at going into the Air Force for Fire Protection.  The recruiter says that she may be able to get me a guaranteed job since I am already certified in structural/wildland firefighting (she has done it before in the past).

Anyone know anything about fire protection?  Seen what they do on base?  Opinions about joining the air force?

IF I go in, I'll be going in as an E-3.

IF I go in, I'm doing my best to be a warhawk in basic (the most difficult physical standard the AF has).

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Air Force Fire Protection
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »
First off congrats on it. The AirForce has a really squared away fire program,  from my understanding being a regular firefighter in the military is dead and the trend as of lately starting with the Army is that the military is phasing out the firefighter program and replacing it with DOD fire but that doesn't mean that the Air Force, Marine Corps or the Navy will get rid of there fire protection for the Airfields/Ships. I have a buddy who is Marine got out of the Corps and is now DOD fire at Ft. Ord and he tells me that he is the only Marine hose dragger and that all the other vets are Air Force fire fighters. If you do a have a cert in the specific field and want to apply it in the AF than yes you can get a guarantee job title. You will not go in as E-3 but you will grauduate at that rank.

Good luck strive for that perfect PFT score because when you get to the school in Texas be prepared for a lot of hose dragging and Carrying alot of gear on your back.

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »
Yeah I'm used to the firefighter style PT stuff.  I've already been through a 16 week fire academy that was 'paramilitary'.  Also, I fought fire over the summer on a wildland fire crew.

Do you know if military firefighting is similar to civilian firefighting in that as you rank up you can pursue new things in firefighting?  Example--could I go from being the rookie hose puller to an engineer?
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »
The recruiter just called and offered me the job.
--T.H. Lawrence

BaldRob

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 03:21:26 PM »
Awesome!

As with any job in the military, with increased rank comes increased responsibility...

Not sure about the AF's fire protection, but I know in the Navy, the more experiece one had, the more different stuff we got exposed to in the FF world.  I wasn't "damage control", but I moved up through the fire teams from hoseman to #1 nozzle to team leader to scene leader for my duty section.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »
The recruiter just called and offered me the job.

Congratulations. BTW, get ready to lose that haircut.

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »
Ha ha the mo-hawk is long gone.  That picture is pretty old.  My mohawk was the closest I ever got to going sly.  Now I have a full (read:thin) head of hair.

I' m bringing the paperwork in to the recruiter tomorrow...and it sounds like MEPS for my physical on thursday.
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
LOL...the barbers over at the induction center will take care of all that...Good luck.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
Great career, if you were able to get it consider yourself lucky  O0
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »
Lol.  Its been a while... but for an update-- I leave for Air Force BMT on Tuesday (feb 23).  I couldn't be more excited.  After BMT, I'll be off to DoD fire school.  I'm looking forward to the adventure.
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 06:32:52 AM »
Good luck Camp. It will be a great adventure.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »
hey camp:  congrats on joining the USAF.   i just wanted 2 wish U luck & 2 say "thanks" 4 serving our gr8 country. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 08:59:17 PM »
Lol.  Its been a while... but for an update-- I leave for Air Force BMT on Tuesday (feb 23).  I couldn't be more excited.  After BMT, I'll be off to DoD fire school.  I'm looking forward to the adventure.
Good luck
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
Congratulations Camp. Good luck, and thanks for your service to our country.   O0

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »
I forgot to add that once I am out of BMT, I fully plan to *finally* scrape the dome and become a full fledged member of the SBGs.   8)

Stay classy.
--T.H. Lawrence