Author Topic: Does the type of razor you use REALLY matter?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline cincydavid

• Sly Guy in Training
Does the type of razor you use REALLY matter?
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:49:28 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:28:43 PM by cincydavid »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Does the type of razor you use REALLY matter?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »
It's really what works for you.  Though, you most likely will get a better shave with a more premium blade.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:06:47 AM »
Well it's a good looking dome.  Most guys try out several razors, from Headblade, Mach III, Fusion, etc.  If I had to give a horseback recollection, most have said that they don't use disposables if possible.  There's a new one out, Magnum MS, good price, great shave.

About the shadow--we all have it except those who have blond, really blond or white hair or those who have elected to undergo the lazer process or even the tweezing thing.  Personally, I had a bit of a problem accepting the shadow, after all I was ditching the combover and fringe, so why did I have to have this reminder.  I've learned to accept it.  It's there, but the Bozo fringe isn't.  You'll just have to see what works for you.  But with that great dome, you're the only one worried about the shadow--believe me.  No one ever  complimented me on the combover, or mentioned the shadow, I have gotten lots and lots of compliments on the dome--as I'm sure you're getting now.  It's nice, relax, enjoy. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »
Oh it matters....... I'm recommending the new M5 these days........ a great shave at a great price..........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline aleutiancowboy

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »
The answer to you question is yes and no. Razor burns, bumps and nicks all come from using razors that are dull or nicked. So at the start all razor are verily sharp and new and you can get a great shave from any of them. However, disposable razors are usually built from cheaper metals and can get dull quickly. They are not made to last a long time. So using a disposable razor all the time can cost you more money in the long run then using one that is meant to last.
THERE ARE NO SMALL BRAINS JUST BIG HEADS

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »
I think it really depends on the person, so you owe to yourself to find the best thing that works.  For me, I use the Headblade, and I get excellent results with the generic knock-off of the Atra blade from Personna, available at Wal-Mart.  Weeks go by before I have to change my blade, and my hair is quite thick in the back and on the sides.  I'm lucky, I guess.  But I say, try all available options, and stick with what works.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline 440satellite

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
Big fan of the Gillette 2 blades, the 3 blades don't get as close for me.  I too tried the Persona from wally world but found they nicked constantly.  Went back to the Gillettes and no problem again.  I do only get 1 week from a blade though.  It's just whatever works for you.

As for the shadow it's all dependant upon the color of your hair and your tan.  Last summer I built my garage so I was in the sun every day for hours.  With a dark tan the brown shadow wasn't very noticable.  This year I've been doing inside jobs and it remained noticable just like the winter time.  I'd prefer not to have shadow but not much you can do about that.

Later

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
I use the Rolling Razor that is now advertised  here on the site. I find that their sensitive blades are best for the back of my head which has a few ridges that are a bitch to get hair free without pain.

I got their free shipping deal and now never have to worry about buying blades again. They come automatically. I heartily recommend them.
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Stevo

• Agile, Mobile, Audiophile
  • Sly
    • Country Road of Life
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »
If you like your disposables, then by all means stick with them, but I don't think the cost per blade is that much more with the regular razors.  One small benefit of switching to the regular razors is the fact that, by using the same handle over and over, you're reducing the amount of plastics that are being sent to the landfill.  It's a small change, but if you stretch it out over the years then it could add up.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »
One small benefit of switching to the regular razors is the fact that, by using the same handle over and over, you're reducing the amount of plastics that are being sent to the landfill.  It's a small change, but if you stretch it out over the years then it could add up.

Good point, and being sly no more shampoo and conditioner bottles, hair gel and spray containers either--hey, Sly is GREEN O0

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:05:42 PM »
I've tried many different razors but found one I'm most comfortable with which happens to be a de so it does matter which razor you use but it's up to you to find the one that you're most happy with.  I also think the preparation is more than half the battle which can determine how long a blade will last.  I was in a hurry once and dulled out a brand new Gilletter blue blade halfway through a shave because of poor prep while the same blade would normally last me a good 4 shaves at least.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:38 PM »
As has been said before I think it boils down to what works for you.

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
Yes.  The type of razor matters.  Also,  exfoliation.  Clean your scalp first and you will get a better shave.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
No, not at all. Just use what works best for you.    O0