Author Topic: How to convince my parents to let me go bald  (Read 17855 times)

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
How to convince my parents to let me go bald
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
So, I would like to convince my mom and dad, who are not likely to approve of it, to allow me to shave my head. I am not balding at all, so I don't have that to argue with. I'm still living with them, so I'll respect their wishes and rules. But I would like to know what I should say.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: How to convince my parents to let me go bald
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
how old are you?

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
Re: How to convince my parents to let me go bald
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »
I'm 19.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
In the US 19 is old enough to vote, enlist in the military, buy beer in some states, so at 19 you can choose your own haircut.

Never ask for permission for or to do  ANYTHING in life from ANYONE, rather ask for forgivness later if someone is upset with your actions, including parents.  Now go get your hair cut the way YOU WANT.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:24:22 AM »
Put it in this perspective: "It's just a haircut"! In my younger days, when I came home with crazy designs shaved in my head, the folks were upset, but they got over it...same with piercings, tattoos, etc. At 19, you are a legal adult so shaving your head should be your choice.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

skinheader

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:23 AM »
Dude just go do it. I first shaved my head when i was 17 or so. I was sick of my thick hair so one day after school i went to the barber shop and got it all clipped off. came home, and my parents got a shock but there was nothing they could do. they couldn't glue my hair back on. They will get over it

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
Go and do it, and see there reaction. If its pretty bad, then in 3 days you will have hair again, so not the end of the world. You never know, they might like it.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
The thing is, I don't want to pull the "I'm old enough to do what I want" card, or I'll have more pressure to do things like get a job, etc. Not that I'm against that, but I'm very busy at present. And again, I'd like to respect their rules while under their roof. If I lived most anywhere else I'd already have done it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:53:41 AM by Chris_John »

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
Granted, the first mistake you made was asking them. See if they'd mind if you got a BUZZ CUT, instead of going fully sly. That way you can get them in phases, rather than all at once.

Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline mark

• Sly Jr.
    • Personal Trainer
Re: Re: How to convince my parents to let me go bald
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »
Get a job, go to college or trade school, move out, then shave everything.
Www.coachcampana.com

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
Chris,
So, you haven't asked them? That being said, how can you know their response? As a parent of two kids, I appreciate your concern for their opinion and am glad you can respect playing by their rules while under their roof (I wish more kids had that attitude).

I have to agree with Plano (on the gradual part, no necessarily the "first mistake" comment). Try a buzz cut first. Get used to the idea. Who knows, you may not like it. In a slice of irony, maybe your parents will love it and you'll hate it  ;D! Not likely, but who knows.

Good Luck,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »
OK, a disclaimer first. I'm coming at this from the point of view of a 59 year old guy who, when I turned 16, had no more summer vacations from school all through college. My parents told me right up front that I needed to work and contribute to the household. My mom worked in the office of a temp agency in downtown Chicago so starting the Monday after my last day of school that year I worked temp jobs every summer throughout the rest of high school. While in college during the school year I worked 20 hours a week in the school library and later on as a student aide with the campus police. When I finished college I started a full time job almost immediately and have been gainfully employed ever since. In my opinion, as much as I hated it back then it turned out to be a really good thing and I'm glad that I was given no choice in the matter. After a while the money I earned became almost secondary in importance. I gained the experience that only comes from being out in the market.

There is something to be said for the idea of taking the reins of your own life at the age of 19. However, a problem that I see is that you have no job. In real world circles this implies that you are dependent upon them for things like shelter, food, and clothing. So one day you walk in with a smooth dome and they freak out and an argument ensues during which you throw in the "I'm 19 and I can do what I want" statement. What if, at that point, mom and dad fall back on their trump card which might come out as "Fine, pack your bags, you're on your own." At that point your powerlessness is on full display.

The way I would do it is this. I would un-busy myself from some of the things I'm currently busy with that are not necessary for my survival and start earning some money of my own so I don't have to go begging to my parents for everything. I would offer to kick in something toward the household. If that was refused I would buy some groceries and cook some of the family meals. I would also buy my own clothes and finance my own social life. Then, on the day of the aforementioned confrontation I have a position of strength rather than of powerlessness. I can then pack those bags and set off on my own and truly be Joe the Boss of My Own Body.

Until the point that you have something resembling that position of strength you're kind of at the mercy of your parents' discretion. I mean the other side of that "I'm 19 and can do what I want" coin is that you are also old enough to be earning your keep.

Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:16:29 PM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
Chris,
So, you haven't asked them? That being said, how can you know their response? As a parent of two kids, I appreciate your concern for their opinion and am glad you can respect playing by their rules while under their roof (I wish more kids had that attitude).

I have to agree with Plano (on the gradual part, no necessarily the "first mistake" comment). Try a buzz cut first. Get used to the idea. Who knows, you may not like it. In a slice of irony, maybe your parents will love it and you'll hate it  ;D! Not likely, but who knows.

Good Luck,
Schro

I asked them earlier in the spring, and they didn't like the idea, but were willing to let me buzz it after family pictures weeks later, to see if it would be okay to go further. I never got around to it, but I was 18 then, I just turned 19. That could help. How to "announce" it to them without making them angry?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:44:25 AM by Chris_John »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Just do it. That will be announcement enough.

At 19 you're old enough to not have to ask your parents' permission to get a haircut.