Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741468 times)

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #510 on: February 14, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
Today I used Col Conk with a squirt of Headslick to get a nice lather.
Blade: a fresh feather blade
Razor: Merkur Futur
Settings:
-face 3.5
-head 2.5
Result: smooth and shiny

I'm currently on a 5 day cycle, I try to get 4-5 shaves out of a blade before switching to a new one.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #511 on: February 22, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
Tabac soap receives very high marks from DE and straight shavers and there is a never-ending discussion about its peculiar smell.  I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago.  After the first use I could tell this stuff was going to be a staple in my shaving den!  The smell is hard to describe, but I think it's one of the best soaps I've ever smelled.  The simplest way I can describe it is a more complex, muskier Van der Hagen.  It's one of the "manliest" soap scents I can think of.  If Chuck Norris shaved this is what he would use.  This soap whips up an incredible lather easily.  If you can find this soap at a good price anywhere I highly recommend giving it a shot!

I had the most irritation-free and smoothest shave of recent memory this morning using Tabac.  I had about 5 days of growth on head and face and my DE, in combination with Shave Secret (something I haven't used in a good while) and Tabac, sliced through the hair like butter.  I did three passes: WTG, XTG, and ATG.  I think my DE technique has finally solidified and the blade angle is in muscle memory.

Razor: EJ de89
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Vulfix badger
Soap:  Tabac
Preshave: Hot water, Shave Secret
Postshave: Cold water, alum block   
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #512 on: February 24, 2013, 04:17:46 AM »
Today I shaved with Tabac, Omega brush and a 4/8 sized straight.

I tried 3 passes, which I don't normally do with my disposable straights, let alone real straights, and I was rewarded with a BBS shave, and a couple if barely noticeable nicks.  Need to strop the razor so I can use it again tomorrow!

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #513 on: March 03, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »
Just had my first DE shave ever!  Pretty damn smooth I gotta say though not perfect of course.  Smoothest shave I've ever had though!

Razor: Merkur 23C
Blade: Shark Super Chrome
Brush: SimplyBeautiful 100% Pure Badger Brush
Soap:  Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap
Preshave: Shower with Dove soap
Postshave: Old Spice Classic after shave, Dove Men post shave balm   

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »
oh btw that brush is only the seller.  I'm not sure if it's actually the brand.  I do know it's a pure grade badger brush

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #515 on: March 03, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
Just had my first DE shave ever!  Pretty damn smooth I gotta say though not perfect of course.  Smoothest shave I've ever had though!

Blade: Shark Super Chrome
Brush: SimplyBeautiful 100% Pure Badger Brush
Soap:  Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap
Preshave: Shower with Dove soap

Sounds like a good shave!

It's a totally different experience!
Lynchy

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #516 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »
Excellent shave this evening!  Trying to concentrate on using the best technique possible every time I shave, and it certainly shows.  I made a supreme lather from my old trusty ToBS Sandalwood!  It's always consistent in producing a high quality lather, moreso than many of the higher end soaps I'm using, and it has a great smell as well.

Razor: EJ de89
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Vulfix badger
Preshave: Hot water, Shave Secret
Cream: ToBS Sandalwood
Postshave: Cold water, witch hazel
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #517 on: March 04, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but a quick question: anyone have problems with a shedding brush?  I use an Omega badger brush daily and lately it has started to shed a lot. Today, at least a dozen hairs came out.  Any ideas what I'm going wrong?

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #518 on: March 04, 2013, 11:27:51 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but a quick question: anyone have problems with a shedding brush?  I use an Omega badger brush daily and lately it has started to shed a lot. Today, at least a dozen hairs came out.  Any ideas what I'm going wrong?

Not something I've experienced other than a few hairs on a new brush.  I'd recommend doing a search over on badgerandblade.com as I'm sure someone there will be able to point you in the right direction.

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #519 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
Blade: Astra Platinum
Brush: Pure badger brush
Soap:  Omega shave cream
Preshave: Shower and hot water

So this shave cream was interesting.  It came with the razor as part of some package deal.  And while this was a very close and nickless shave, my face is a bit soar and inflamed.  I attribute the closeness of the shave to the new blade, but I noticed a slight burning sensation when I applied the lather from the shave cream.  Also strange that this "cream" is pretty soap like in form... it looked like very moist soap and was rather stiff.  It also came in a little tub.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #520 on: March 07, 2013, 04:13:57 AM »
Omega in the tub?

If your skin burns there's a chance of an allergy to one or more ingredients.  I had the same thing with a Mama Bear's soap.  Give your skin time to settle down and try the soap (if it's in the tub it's known as a croap or cream/soap) again.  If it happens again you might have to PIF it.  I also had the same issue with Arko first time, but was fine afterwards.

Good luck!  Omega is very highly thought of, very similar to the old Proraso I think.

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
Yeah I was going to give it another try. Thanks for the advice and info! And what do you mean by PIF it?

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
PIF = Pay it forward  :)

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »
Thanks but I'm not sure what that means either haha.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #524 on: March 08, 2013, 02:21:11 AM »
Thanks but I'm not sure what that means either haha.

Lol a phenomenon on some forums where you give an item away because you are just a nice guy..... This is rife on Badger and Blade.

Don't feel obligated though ;)
Lynchy