Author Topic: Could I Pull Off The Bald Look?  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Tomec1

• Learning the way of Sly
Could I Pull Off The Bald Look?
« on: March 23, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »
Hi everyone.

After a long stint of denial, I've accepted that my hair is slowly receding and thinning a little. It sucks, but hey ho.

Because I reckon one day I will end up being bald, I'm considering shaving my head and am curious to see what i'll look like. I'm unsure whether to go through with it though as I'm very pasty, have light eyebrows (i could always dye them i guess), and am not blessed with great beard growing abilities (I've never never really tried to grow one but don't seem to get a great deal of growth after a week or so).

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxYWo3N2pGmeTkRQSGRuc2dEdE0

(I've included a recent picture without the hair scraped back to show what the mop currently looks like)

Other potentially relevant info:
- 6 ft 1
- A pretty lean 190 lb, having lifted for a number of years.

It would be great to get brutally honest opinions on whether you reckon I could rock the bald look and if you think I've got the facial/head structure to pull it off, despite my pastieness.

I would rather not have any beat around the bush type answers so just be brutally honest, please.

Cheers guys

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Could I Pull Off The Bald Look?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
Hi everyone.

After a long stint of denial, I've accepted that my hair is slowly receding and thinning a little. It sucks, but hey ho.

Because I reckon one day I will end up being bald, I'm considering shaving my head and am curious to see what i'll look like. I'm unsure whether to go through with it though as I'm very pasty, have light eyebrows (i could always dye them i guess), and am not blessed with great beard growing abilities (I've never never really tried to grow one but don't seem to get a great deal of growth after a week or so).

(I've included a recent picture without the hair scraped back to show what the mop currently looks like)

- 6 ft 1

It would be great to get brutally honest opinions on whether you reckon I could rock the bald look and if you think I've got the facial/head structure to pull it off, despite my pastieness.

I would rather not have any beat around the bush type answers so just be brutally honest, please.

Cheers guys

oh, hell yeah. you got everything going for you to do it. i think you would like it. plus, the stress of  more recession ends instantly. a total relief.  don't take this the wrong way. but your pic of the long crop of hair isn't' doing you any favors. i had the same until it all landed on the bathroom drain.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »
I see no reason you could not pull off the sly look.  But you do still have a lot of hair, so I  think you still have some time left with hair if you want.  But I took a similar tack and shaved at the first signs of thinning before others noticed, and I have no regrets.  Now over 5 years later, I have full blown MPB.  I never had to have the experience of being in public with thinning and/or bald spots.

A beard is not required for a shaved head to look good, but most guys do grow some facial hair to balance the look.  I suspect you just have not given your beard enough time.  We all seem to know someone that can grow an awesome beard in a few weeks, but that is not the norm.  Beards need on average 13 weeks before looking good, and blonde guys usually need more time.  The lack of color contrast between the beard color and the skin color make them look thinner than they actually are, and more length is needed to get a three dimensional look and make it stand out.  So give it a shot and be patient with it.
SlyBeard

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 02:38:20 AM »
I think it will look awesome!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't look good. It takes time to get used to a drastic new look. Yes, you will get some comments, but only for a while. I think we have all found out that it's not a big deal to anyone. Be prepared to love the feel and look. Shaving can also be quite enjoyable.

What I usually say, if you see guys with their head shaved bald and think it looks good, then you will like it too. Think of it as a hairstyle choice, bald heads are everywhere these days.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Tomec1

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
Hi everyone.

- 6 ft 1

Cheers guys

oh, hell yeah. you got everything going for you to do it. i think you would like it. plus, the stress of  more recession ends instantly. a total relief.  don't take this the wrong way. but your pic of the long crop of hair isn't' doing you any favors. i had the same until it all landed on the bathroom drain.

I don't know if i've got everything going for me with my paleness and (potential) inability to grow a beard, but cheers anyways. Very undecided about getting rid of the hair still!

Offline Tomec1

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 05:35:46 PM »
I see no reason you could not pull off the sly look.  But you do still have a lot of hair, so I  think you still have some time left with hair if you want.  But I took a similar tack and shaved at the first signs of thinning before others noticed, and I have no regrets.  Now over 5 years later, I have full blown MPB.  I never had to have the experience of being in public with thinning and/or bald spots.

A beard is not required for a shaved head to look good, but most guys do grow some facial hair to balance the look.  I suspect you just have not given your beard enough time.  We all seem to know someone that can grow an awesome beard in a few weeks, but that is not the norm.  Beards need on average 13 weeks before looking good, and blonde guys usually need more time.  The lack of color contrast between the beard color and the skin color make them look thinner than they actually are, and more length is needed to get a three dimensional look and make it stand out.  So give it a shot and be patient with it.

Yes, I still have some years left with hair I reckon (when I look back, my hairline was fairly similar about 6 years ago when I was 18). It's more curiosity at this stage.

And cheers for the info on beard growth. To be honest, I've never gone longer than a week without shaving so don't really know if I can or can't grow one. I'm giving it a go now so we will see in a few weeks/months time!

Offline Tomec1

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »

Offline Tomec1

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 05:38:08 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't look good. It takes time to get used to a drastic new look. Yes, you will get some comments, but only for a while. I think we have all found out that it's not a big deal to anyone. Be prepared to love the feel and look. Shaving can also be quite enjoyable.

What I usually say, if you see guys with their head shaved bald and think it looks good, then you will like it too. Think of it as a hairstyle choice, bald heads are everywhere these days.

Yes it definitely will take time when I eventually do take the plunge.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »
Oh Heck Yeah!  Like someone else said; don't take this the wrong way but that dry dirty blonde  hair just isn't doing you any favors! 

Take the plunge.  Feel the Testosterone rush.  Feel the Freedom!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
You are curious, nothing wrong with that.  People change their hair styles all the time, that's all you are suggesting.  If you don't like it you can grow the hair back.  However I think you would look great.

Offline Tomec1

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »
Oh Heck Yeah!  Like someone else said; don't take this the wrong way but that dry dirty blonde  hair just isn't doing you any favors! 

Take the plunge.  Feel the Testosterone rush.  Feel the Freedom!

Haha, i don't think I'm ready for it yet. Maybe soon though

Offline Tomec1

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »
You are curious, nothing wrong with that.  People change their hair styles all the time, that's all you are suggesting.  If you don't like it you can grow the hair back.  However I think you would look great.

Cheers mate

Enter your email address: