Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741758 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1755 on: October 21, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
I was off today so I didn't have to shave for work, but I did shave my head though. I have been using my 34C almost exclusively for a while ...as seen in all my recent postings...since I do a three pass face shave everyday for work. Pulled out the XXX this morning and had a great shave...
I like XXX.  It's a bit bolder than it's inspiration, Acqua di Parma Colonia.  A very classic Italian scent.  XXX is the soap that introduced me into the artisan realm of shaving soaps.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:18:34 PM by 120inna55 »

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1756 on: October 22, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Trying a new shave system for my everyday face shaves. I have been using the 3 pass system but today went with a 2 pass shave. WTG and ATG . I used my 37C and had one of the best shaves of my life! I wish I could get super smooth on my neck area but have to settle for just really close or otherwise I will get irritation. Used the blue Proraso today.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1757 on: October 22, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »
PannaCrema - Pure2O DFS
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar
Gillette Pre-War Tech | Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
Barrister's Reserve - Classic

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1758 on: October 23, 2016, 05:17:47 AM »
Nice! I love old gillettes. I've been wanting to add an old tto to my collection but all of them I've come across are adjustable and that's not what I'm looking for.  Maybe I should consider a tech. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:38:22 AM by SlyCatCrossing »
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1759 on: October 23, 2016, 06:28:57 AM »
Nice! I love old gillettes. I've been wanting to add an old tto toy collection but all lv them I've come across are adjustable and that's not what I'm looking for.  Maybe I should consider a tech. 
The pre-war Techs (1938-1945) are just a tad more aggressive than the other Techs.  They can be identified by the triangular holes in the base plate.  I obtained this one as a legitimate NOS.  It came in the correct box and it was flawless. I used it intermittently for a while, but found it to be just a little mild for my tastes.  Ever since I've paired it wiht a Feather, it now has new life for me.  While it's not a TTO, you really can't go wrong with a Tech as there are many choices.  The fat-handle variety (like mine) are light-weight due to the hollow handle, and some folks add material to add weight.  I haven't found that to be necessary as it has nice balance as is.

TTO Super-Speeds are an excellent choice as well.  The 40s styles are nice as are the later flare tips.

The good news is that all of the aforementioned are prevalent and can be had for very reasonable prices.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1760 on: October 27, 2016, 08:21:28 PM »
Route 66 "Sweeney Todd"
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra-dense
Gillette Pre-war Tech | Astra SP (1)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1761 on: October 31, 2016, 05:50:40 AM »
Barrister and Mann "Hallows"
Ever-Ready 100T | TGN Finest
RazoRock Black Mamba | Feather Hi-Stainless (1)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1762 on: November 01, 2016, 09:01:59 PM »
Barrister and Mann "Cologne Russe"
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra-dense
Gillette Pre-war Tech | Feather Hi-Stainless (1)

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1763 on: November 02, 2016, 06:21:05 AM »
Check out what just appeared in my shave den! This Merkur Futur is so pretty I almost feel like I can't use it....almost. :) First shave with it this morning, I usually shave my head and then my face but since I never used it before and was unsure how aggressive it is even on setting 1 I shaved my face first. I was going to shave my face for a couple of days with it to get the hang of it before I tried it on my head but the face shave was so nice I just lathered up and went for it. First impression, GREAT! Even on setting 1 I got one of my best shaves ever. I used the Merkur blade that came with it.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1764 on: November 04, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »
Movie Night SOTD

Tallow + Steel "Dark"
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra-dense

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1765 on: November 04, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »
Very Nice! I used to be an avid reader of Dr. Strange when I was a kid. As usual, your pictures make me want to go shave. :) I had my second head shave with my Futur this morning and my 3rd face shave with it. Still loving it and can't see that changing anytime soon. I used it on setting #1 for my head and tried out setting #2 for my face....still great! My favorite razor so far , by far! The one thing I was not expecting was how loud the razor is. You can REALLY hear it cutting the whiskers/hair. If I ever need to park my car somewhere I can always dial up setting #6 and park it in the gap! The razor looks intimidating but is really nice to shave with, NO Pressure...and you get a nice smooth shave without any issues.  I was kind of scared to use it on my head before it arrived in the mail, but the weight...which is substantial... just made navigating the head that much easier, including the hard to reach areas. I don't use a mirror to shave the back of my head, I just do it by feel and it was the easiest shave I have had yet. This mornings shave proved to me that the first head shave was not a fluke. I'm not sure I will ever use it above setting #1 for my head, since I don't need to, but it will be my main head shaver from now on.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1766 on: November 04, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »
Nice! DOwn the line I would like to add a gold futur to my collection.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1767 on: November 04, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
Nice! DOwn the line I would like to add a gold futur to my collection.

I'm sure you will like it. You can definitely "feel" the blade with this razor , but not in a bad way...at least to me. I read lots of reviews on the Futur while I was waiting for mine to arrive in the mail and the one thing that kept showing up in all of them was that the handle is slippery. Most of the reviews were on the satin finish one....I have the chrome one...I guess I must be doing something wrong, my hands are wet while shaving and I have not had an issue.....even doing the back of my head...which I do holding the handle with 3 fingers like you hold the tip of a pencil...and it never once felt like it would slip or that I couldn't control it. I was more concerned with the gap. Just looking at pictures of it and then actually holding it in my hand made me hesitant to take it near my head. I figured that I would try several face shaves first to see just how aggressive it was , but as I stated in my first Futur post, I felt good about it after I finished my first face shave and soaked my head with a wet wash cloth while I whipped up some more lather for my head and went at it. I can see where it might be a real problem if you grab your razor in a death grip and rake it into your face when you shave but as I have learned, the trick to a good shave for me is to guide the razor with no pressure and shave the hair not the skin.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1768 on: November 05, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
Black Ship Grooming Co. "Ghost Ship" 2016
RazoRock Black Mamba | Feather Hi-Stainless (1)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1769 on: November 07, 2016, 08:10:28 PM »
Wholly Kaw "Dark Vetiver"