Author Topic: Best clippers that shave as close as a razor?  (Read 157568 times)

skinheader

Re: Best clippers that shave as close as a razor?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 05:55:26 AM »
I recently came across the Wahl 5-Star Razor Edger Trimmer. They have really small blades and the clipper seems powerful enough to clipper both face and hair. I might order a pair of these

Slynito

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
Being powered by an electric motor (not a vibrator) will give it more power...and there are blades that won't cut the skin to look for.

skinheader

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
I have been using these beard trimmer clippers on my head on and off for 2 years now. My avatar is a pic taken today freshly shaved using these. They get pretty close but i feel there are ones out there that will get closer. Clippers are the only thing that doesn't cause my skin irratation. If i use a razor or electric razor on my face/head i just break out.

I was thinking about getting these, but have read mixed reviews on them

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:14:13 PM by skinheader »

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
I have been using the Wahl Balding Clippers and from more than 8-10 away I still look bald.
TheBBQGuy

Offline Doctor X

• Sly Jr.
  • BBC: Because Sly is WAY better than bad hair.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »
Anyone found the Phillips headgroom (balder) in a store anywhere, or can they only be ordered online? Target's got a good deal on them, but they're only available online.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
I have the Phillips balder and it's not that great to be honest.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
HI Doctor X,

I ordered mine on line on Amazon.com. I have been fairly happy with it. I have used it on in between days and found out that it worked pretty well.

I have shaved daily in the past but found it works better to use the electric razor on alternating days and regular razor shaving on the alternate days. It helps with the skin bump issue.

I do prefer using a regular hand razor over the electric for the most part. 

Offline Doctor X

• Sly Jr.
  • BBC: Because Sly is WAY better than bad hair.
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm mostly looking for something to use when I'm in a hurry and don't have time for a razor shave.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Wahl 5 star balding clipper is what you want

Catch_22

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 07:17:21 AM »
I've seen doctors use these on patients and they appear to work brilliantly and cut very close. Might be the best bet for those wanting something as close to sly as possible without using a razor:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/IPD-NA/3M-Infection-Prevention/products/catalog/?N=4294948254+5543862&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3AGSQC62GWF1gs_JRRDFWWQDC_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d

They're available on amazon.com for about $120, might be worth looking into.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm mostly looking for something to use when I'm in a hurry and don't have time for a razor shave.

Up until recently, I was using a trimmer with no guard.  I am now shaving with a Gillette Mach III stick razor and find that I am shaving quicker.  It is much easier to tell if I miss a spot, too. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:29:47 AM by slymyke »

Offline Oldmoldy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 11:26:58 PM »
I've been using Wahl's balding clippers for about 10 years and they have been rock solid. I keep them oiled and hope they will last me another decade as I don't think my hair is coming back.  After all of these years they still get me to an almost bald length. Good enough for me. 

For travel I purchased the norelco rechargeable ones with the vacuum built in ... they work very well too (for what I bought them for), however I don't think they cut as low as my wahl's.  The Norelcos are really convenient and help keep the hair from getting all over the place. (especially nice in someone else's house)

All in all if I want the closest shave that will last the longest I'll use a razor (very seldom, maybe once a year), my 'go to' is my wahl and if I don't have time to use my wahl I grab the norelco to cut my hair on the road.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 05:16:43 AM »
I use the Wahl clippers also.

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
I have a Babiliss i-Stubble (one of the basic old ones without LCD display, can't remember the model no.) that I use on my face and head alike. Compared to most proper hair clippers I've used in the past it delivers a very close buzz, hard to tell from a headshave unless you look up real close. I got over two years of service out of my first one, more than I'd have expected considering that it isn't designed to cut head hair, besides at about £20 off Amazon it's fairly inexpensive to replace.
.: you must laugh and sing if you want to conquer the world :.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
I use the Andis BGRC with interchangeable blades. I have #1; #0A; #000; #00000 & #000000(outliner), as I like to have varying degrees of stubble or be more closely "clippershaved" at different times. I occasionally razor shave also.  The #000 leaves 1 day's stubble; #00000 leaves about 10 hours' worth of stubble (1/125" or 0.2mm) and the outliner leaves about 4 hours' stubble (1/150" or 0.1mm). I find that most "non-head-shaving" people  consider anything #1 & below as 'shaved", although I really think of my head as "clippershaved" when I use either #00000 or the #000000(outliner).  With the #00000 or #000000(outliner) I looked razor shaved except close up (my hair is mostly white also). I also like the #0A, which leaves about 2.5 days' stubble, but it snags my skin and cuts my scalp. The #0A would be a nice alternative between #000 & #1, but I have given up on it.  All my blades are the ceramic style except the #000000 (outliner). I may try a #0A ultraedge - all steel - and see if this nicks me less.  None of the other ceramic blades have ever nicked me, and I am pretty aggressive in using them to get as close a clippershave as I can.