Author Topic: Things I love about being SLY  (Read 31593 times)

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
Things I love about being SLY
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:05:22 AM »
Well over the years I have posted many times the things that I hate or have hated about being bald.  Well I thought it was about time to look for some positivity and I thought I would post what I believe are some of the great things about being SLY.

1)  I love shaving!  I used to hate it and recently decided to get myself a 'routine'.  Warm water in shower, apply shaving cream, shave head and face, enjoy warm water on dome for a bit, feel for any rough bits and sort, apply exfoliating wash, massage head and face, spash cold water on head and face, moisturise. 

2)  Bald not balding.  When I was obviously losing my hair people used to comment.  I once remember being over with some mates when I was about 27.  One of the guys sitting behind me said, hey I can see your horseshoe!  At that moment, I knew that SLY was the way to go.  Since then people have asked why I shave my head, but other than that the comments have stopped completely.  The main critic now is me!

3)  The element of surprise.  There is no doubt that bald gives you an intimidating edge.  Well I am 6ft 4 tall, and a fairly muscular build.  Yet I am a massive softy.  I had an incident in a wine bar recently where someone came in really drunk, as he was leaving he thought I commented and decided to come over and try it on.  My heart was racing, but as I stood up calmly and slowly and realised his head barely reached my chest the words, we'll leave it there shall we, seemed to diffuse the situation somewhat!!  O:O

4)  The sport factor.  I love playing sport.  I feel so much cleaner with a shaved head.

5)  The sun burn factor.  I can protect my head, protecting my balding head was just messy

6)  Being in control.  Occasionally my Dad will ask me why I dont grow my hair out a little.  It is so nice to say well I dont, because I dont want to! 

7)  This website.  Almost a reason in itself to be SLY

I am sure there are many more.  So what do you love about being SLY?

A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
Re: Things I love about being SLY
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »
Good points Argyle.   A few of the things that I like about being sly

1)  I stopped spending $700/month on hair systems and no longer worry whether people can tell that I'm wearing a rug.  No more tapes, glues, having to clean and reapply tape to my "system".

2)  The edgy, stand out in a crowd look.   Although there are more and more sly guys out there each and every day - it does give me an edge.

3)  I'm no longer balding.  People have stopped looking at my head and now focus on my eyes when they talk to me.

4)  Ease of maintaining the look.   No more spending what seemed like hours a week strategically combing what hair I had to achieve maximum coverage.

5)  No more searching the web endlessly looking for a magic cure to baldness.   

6)  The feeling.   I love the feel of my head and so do women!    I love head rubs from anonymous women.

7)  The feeling of being in total control over my hair loss and not bending over backwards trying to meet some standard that society has placed on something as stupid as hair.

8)  The end of my gray hair.   

9)  Being part of this group.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »
Really nice post--they all resonated w/ this bald boy--maybe not the tall part so much, but even guys of average height get some "bad ass" effect when it's called for. 

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »
PDXTodd, I think the SLY look is great on you.  I think you mentioned in an earlier post that you were 53!!  I couldnt believe it!
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:44:51 AM »
Hi Argyle I am 53.   I'm having a professional headshot taken for my book publisher.   I hope to have a better picture to post in the next few days.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:55:34 AM »
That is one additional advantage for more "mature" sly guys, it really does make a guy look younger than w/ a thinning & dying gray mop hanging sadly on the top and sides of the head!

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:57:28 AM »
Yeah I have to say I agree, the older sly guys on here show the most amazing transformations.  It is really hard to guess some people's ages and normally I am amazed at how old they are.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:02:23 AM »
Conversely, we've seen many guys, late 20's-30's regain their 'youth' getting rid of a thinning crop--it just ages those guys, even makes them look tired and depressed. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:57 AM »
There are a lot of things I love about being SLY... many of them mentioned above. But the one that I'd like to mention right now is so simple yet so very important.

I love the fact that a guy, like you Argyle, who has struggled openly with both losing his hair and his SLYNESS can finally reach a point where being SLY is a GOOD thing and not something to be uncomfortable with.

Cheers to you my Friend! `Dr!n#
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »
Not quite there yet Mike, but am on the road! 

It took a long time to realise that some of my problems are a little more deep seated and historic than losing my hair. 

Even though my head tells me otherwise, I am trying to live by the mantra of being more than my hairline and the fact that I can do nothing to change it.  Let me rephrase that, I have always been totally determined that I would do nothing to change it.  Rugs, plugs and drugs aint for me so ultimately I have to get used to what i have!!

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
It is way to identify with others, including celebs
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
It is way to identify with others, including celebs

Hey, cool, celebs, like you1 O0

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »
Tyler doesn't have enough bandwidth  8)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
I'm right behind Todd. I'll be 53 in October. Most people don't think I look my age -- even with the salt-n-pepper face fur.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
Age, Hell, I'm so old my ears are still ringing from the sound of the Big Bang!  Sixty-five doesn't bother me, as long as I keep having birthdays.  It's when the birthdays stop that worry a guy.  God willing, that's some time off. 

Enter your email address: