Author Topic: Maybe Disadvantage?  (Read 8436 times)

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
Maybe Disadvantage?
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:50:57 AM »
People have been telling me that since I shaved my head I look very intimidating and If they did't know me they would be afraid to talk to me. To be fair I'm 6'4" and 220lbs, so I'm not the smallest dude, but I don't want to scare people off. Still I guess its nice that I can keep the creeps away. Anyone else had something like this come up?

Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
Re: Maybe Disadvantage?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »
I've never had it mentioned to me.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »
A guy tried to pick a fight with me on New Year's Eve 2013/2014 when I asked him to stop setting off fireworks in the street in front of my house.

My wife says his body language and facial expression visibly changed when I took off my beanie. All I know is that he stopped posturing and walked away.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »
People have been telling me that since I shaved my head I look very intimidating and If they did't know me they would be afraid to talk to me. To be fair I'm 6'4" and 220lbs, so I'm not the smallest dude, but I don't want to scare people off. Still I guess its nice that I can keep the creeps away. Anyone else had something like this come up?

To be honest:

1.  I don't think you scare anyone - you look like a big happy guy!

2.  I find I get this much more when I wear my razor faded flattop - nobody messes with an old dude with a high and tight flattop!

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:36:15 AM »
Oh, we don't talk to strangers very often here so I don't know what they think exactly but for people who know me (except my mom, and only my mom), they said my face look so friendly even without hair so I think maybe the bald look changed the out look but not really much.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
I think that a bald head has the potential to "harden" one's appearance a bit. Hair can have a softening effect, visually speaking. So many strongmen and tough guys in American culture have been bald, so there must be a reason for it.
As a guy who has never been at all intimidating, I'd welcome a little toughening up of my appearance: Advantage!  O0

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
Yes. Someone who hadn't seen me in a while, did not recognize me, and told me they were scared I was walking towards them until they figured out who I was. I'm a little smaller than you (5'11 and 190 lbs) but still.
If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

Offline DannyBoy

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:33:21 AM »
I havent been told i looked scary, but i been told i look intimidating, im not in the slighest lol but i take that anyday then how people use to see me (think mr Bean comments). People who know you know better regardless.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:06:20 PM by DannyBoy »
It is only a problem if YOU make it a problem.

Offline DeanJones

• Dean Jones
  • Sly Jr.
  • Baldie for life!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »
I have been told I have "Resting Bastard Face" so I don't normally look jolly. Shaving my head did cause some people to be extra intimidated when I am angry at them. This I find sort of ironic because I don't see myself as a mean person, I don't use foul language and I am not a violent or "Tough guy" I'm pretty laid back and am what I like to thank of as a gentleman.
However, once I shave my head I got told a lot that i look 'Scary" which I don't myself see.
Having a full bald head has not been commonplace for a long time, and it's slowly becoming more recognized. I think it will take people a while to see a shaved head differenty.
I'm bald, and I love it! Bald is the best! Bald for life!

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »
I haven't had that experience.  I'm basically a gentle soul and I think people can sense that.  That might change once the tattoos appear in a month or so, but for now, I'm not the most intimidating person in the world.

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 12:32:40 PM »
I don't think so much these days as a shaved head is far more accepted as people realise that if a guy is losing his hair he will shave it off rather than have a comb over, so I think it's far more accepted.

However I know if I have found myself in situations where someone is trying to cause trouble and I have stepped in - my height, my tattoos and my shaved head will go through their mind as it's been said.  I'm not seen as a push over.