Author Topic: Need advice on razor bump scars  (Read 12948 times)

Offline mobius25

• Denoobiusone
  • Learning the way of Sly
Need advice on razor bump scars
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »
First off, let me start by saying that I am great-ful that a website like this exists. I have been lurking on here for a couple of weeks now. It has really changed my mentality on going bald and given me a slight boost in my self-esteem and confidence. Mother nature wasn't too kind to me so I started balding around age 20 and decided to go bald shaving at age 23.

I have been shaving for the past two years gaining experience slowly but I keep fighting razor bumps. I just recently recovered from an unsightly razor bump rash. I think it is because I used the wrong razor for the job and I am an African American male which means ,as I have unfortunately discovered, that we are more prone to pseudofolliculitis barbae.

I read most of the advice given on the forum and stumbled across remedies such as using exfoliating creams, aloe-vera and even squirting lemon juice on the razor bump affected areas. Most of my razor bumps have cleared up but I now have razor bump scars at the sides and back of my head. My top looks fine though there is a little discolouration. I am constantly wearing beanies and hats everywhere I go and this issue is definitely eating away at my confidence.

I now stick to the three remedies above and cut with the grain rather than against as I used to. I'll post pictures of my head and hoping for some advice from anyone who has been through this. I'm considering using bump-stopper 2 but I'm holding back till I get some feedback on it.I'm just curious as to how Dave chappelle, Tupac shakur, Tyrese and all these other black celebs keep their domes looking so fresh, clean and clear while mine looks like a horror show.

Sorry for the long post but I had to vent my frustrations. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you and keep it sly.

Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Need advice on razor bump scars
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
Welcome, brother! I have a few scars albeit more from surgery than from razor bumps themselves. I have discovered that when I use a shaving brush and shaving soap (headslick also works well with a shaving brush) mixed in with shave secret from Walmart, I get razor bumps few and far between. Some good after shave remedies that have worked for me are  rubbing an ice cube after shaving and some apple cider vinegar to name a couple. If your scars are unbearable see a dermatologist. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mobius25

• Denoobiusone
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply SlySirHarry. Ill try your remedies out and see what happens. I have considered seeing a dermatologist but the waiting line is too long. Can the scars heal in time or are they permanent, just wondering, thanks!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
Well I don't think scars "heal" 100%...but the appearance can be minimized if you use a scar cream like Mederma . Most dermatologists require an appointment but at least you're guaranteed that time slot. average wait is 3 days out. Good luck

Offline Rich

• DomeCare Solutions Store
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about your struggles. The unfortunate truth about discolorations is that they take a while to fade. There are a few things you can do to speed up the process, but it will still take some time. Definitely do not use lemon juice.  This is highly acidic and will trigger irritation and actually slow down the healing process. Regular use of an exfoliator with salicylic acid can help to speed up the healing time by exfoliating the surface layers of the skin and it will also prevent ingrown hairs. Salicylic acid is also an anti-irritant.  Look for a product with with antioxidants like Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Niacinamide aka Vitamin B3, these ingredients help to strengthen the skin and can help fade discolorations. You can also look for a product with the active skin lightening ingredient hydroquinone, but this is a stronger ingredient so if you do decide to use it, test it on a small patch of skin first. If you’re dealing with a lot of discoloration that have been in place for a long period of time, say over 14 months, consider getting a prescription of Retin-A which is a stronger form of vitamin a that works quickly. I’m not familiar with the bump stopper product.

To prevent razor bumps be sure to use quality products that are fragrance free and free from common irritants found in men’s products. Things like menthol, eucalyptus, sage, lavender, and citruses are irritants you should steer clear of. Use salicylic acid regularly. Also try shaving with fewer blades. More blades do not equal a better shave. I really like the Gillette Excel with 2 blades.

Hope these tips help.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »
Get some of this it will almost make your skin clear completely, you have to use it for a while though. It's not going to work overnight.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »

I'm just curious as to how Dave chappelle, Tupac shakur, Tyrese and all these other black celebs keep their domes looking so fresh, clean and clear while mine looks like a horror show.

Maybe they use this: http://www.rollingrazor.com/products/chooseyourstyle/men combined with the Bump Eliminator or the Bump Eliminator (Severe Bump) cartridges. Here is some info on the later: http://www.rollingrazor.com/products/3005/Mens-Cartridges-Bump-Eliminator---Severe-Bumps .

They might be worth a try if you haven't tried them yet. It's the only system that I have read about that has cartridges specifically for reducing or stopping bumps.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
Rolling razor is naff. Save your money

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »
Rolling razor is naff. Save your money

For non-Britishers I looked up what "naff" means and it means 'something that is stupid, lame or unpalatable'.

So, Rolling Razors are no good -- I have never used them or known anybody that has used them. Mark, can you tell us what is wrong with them please? I would really like to know because some aspects of the design look interesting and their videos look ok [though not good because it looks like they have to take too many passes].
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:33:24 PM by Gary~ »

Offline mobius25

• Denoobiusone
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 04:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I was checking up on bio-oil and have seen lots of negativity about it so am a bit wary on trying it Mark. About the rolling razors, Gary, i think ill stick with a single or double blade razor for now. Thanks Rich for the info about the lemon juice lol. I'll stop using it and just stick with the exfoliating cream. St. Ives apricot scrub with salycilic acid seems to work. It helped clear out most of my bumps. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, probably help out some fellow lurkers out there who am sure have the same problem.

Offline Chuckrock13

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:09 AM »
Hi all. I'm curious to find out how things turned out for mobius25. I'm dealing with similar issues and haven't found a good solution for the razor bump scars.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
Hi all. I'm curious to find out how things turned out for mobius25. I'm dealing with similar issues and haven't found a good solution for the razor bump scars.

Welcome, Chuckrock! Is there a way you can post some pictures so we can see and give you some advice?...The OP hasn't posted in about 10 months, so we hope he is doing well.