Author Topic: Balding after strip hair transplant... what do I do?  (Read 5640 times)

Offline daberns95

• Learning the way of Sly
Balding after strip hair transplant... what do I do?
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
This will be my first post ever. I've been lurking around the sight when I posted my questions on google but never quite found the answer to what I wanted to know. The thing is, I had a HT here in Costa Rica, 4 years ago, with a Dr that didn't fully dominate the technique (she's not a member of the IHSRS or anything like that). The results: I got a scar from the ear to the middle line, and since I unpurposedly picked a scab on one part of the scar, the hair won't grow there and it's kind of big. Also, I got several hairs growing on just one hole where the implants were made. When I tried to shave it off people were always saying Hey why does your scalp have holes (the pores where the several implanted hairs would usually grow)? Or, (since I had FUT or strip HT) what's up with that scar, how did you get it? What happened? Etc.

The thing is that I'm in the point where I am considering a) A 2nd HT to cover up the hairless patches, b) A scar repair surgery so I can at least be less conscious by being bald and with a decent little scar, c) Shaving it all off.

The problem about shaving it all off (I know you guys are going to go for this one probably), is that I got a scalp condition. It's called Cutis verticis gyrata, which is not as pronnounced as the pictures on google show, but I do have some lumps and skin folds (I have very loose skin on the top of my head) and it's very humilliating when people compare my head with a Bull dog or a Shar Pei or a dog with a lot of loose skin.

That's the problem. I got loose skin, and a biga** scar on the back of my head.

Now, if we lived on a Men-only world I would probably never go to the gym, be fat, and be happily and nonchalantly bald, minding my own business. But you guys know it's not about how we think, we all deep down want that attention. And I'm 27, I want to feel attractive, I hate girls who go after the money and I want her to feel attracted to me as I am to them, and I feel I won't get the girls I could've had if I had a full head of hair. I don't want to sound vain, I am just telling it as it is, without being judgemental about my neurotic thoughts.

I don't want the "it only matters what you think" speech, I don't want the "this site was created to AVOID the HT" speech (since it is too late for that). I just want an honest answer to what would you guys do if you were in my place, with a loose scalp and folds on the top of your head, and a scar on the back of it. Would you get surgery to fix the problem? "Accepting myself" is not an option, since "myself" is my soul and my personality, which I have had come to terms with. I want an honest opinion, or a practical, logical answer that I can do. I wish to know if someone is living the same hell as me, facing this terrible catch-22 situation, from which I see no possible good outcome of looking good.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Balding after strip hair transplant... what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »
Welcome! Sorry that the transplant didn't work out for you. But you're not the first, nor will you be the last. What are you trying to do? Are you just worrying about covering the scar? If you feel comfortable, post a pic so we can offer a better suggestion.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:56:34 PM »
Welcome to the group!  If you are willing to get scar removal, would you consider a surgery to remove the excess skin?

I don't know the extent of your particular situation, but if the first HT did not have the results you were hoping for, then perhaps scalp reduction surgery would give you a good starting point to decide which course of action to follow. 

It's a difficult decision, and I wish you luck!  Please keep us informed on your progress, I'm sure there is another lurker in the shadows experiencing a similar situation.
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
I cannot offer any advice, but my first thoughts were the same as what John said, scar reduction surgery and removal of excess skin.  Good luck and I hope you find a good solution.

We have had several people here that have had successful HT scar reduction.
SlyBeard

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »
If the scar reduction will work and will help you feel better about yourself, I say give it a try.

Some other guys have posted that keeping a short buzz rather than shaving smooth helped mask their wrinkles or folds caused by CVG.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Enter your email address: