Author Topic: Don't know what to do - thinning but buzzcut no good.  (Read 12951 times)

Offline Fletcher

• Learning the way of Sly
Don't know what to do - thinning but buzzcut no good.
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:05:35 PM »
Hi,

I have been thinning on top around the temples and in the centre of my head for around 2 years. It has only become slightly noticeable to my friends/family. Recently, I tried using Rogaine for around a week but it was bothersome and made me feel nauseous. I don't want to mess with any other medication or transplants, I've researched them all thoroughly and none sound attractive.

So... that leaves buzzcut/shaving right? I buzzed my hair down to a #3 on top, #2 on sides last year. I hated it, it basically ruined my self confidence, I felt absolutely worthless and I had to wear a hat for around 4 months straight before my hair got long enough again.

I like having 'volume' on my head, I always stick my hair up and am quite pleased with how it looks, but I know in very little time my thinning patches will become very obvious. However, I'm scared that having no hair will make my head look weird and small and change my whole appearance.

I have one last hope that my head will look ok with a #0 buzzcut. I have been weightlifting for 9 months now, and my beard is getting a bit thicker; I think both of these things would help me pull off the look better.

So what do you guys think? Should I give Rogaine another try or should I buzz it to a #0 when it starts to look terrible? I'm sorry for moaning a bit, I know I'm being vain but this issue has become a major part of my life, I think about it everyday and and I'm pretty upset about my situation.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Fletcher

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Don't know what to do - thinning but buzzcut no good.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »
Buzz. Avoid the chemicals.

A photo would help.

Offline Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/fgiles13/library/?view=recent&page=1

The photos with my longer hair is my hairstyle now, just a bit thinner on top.

You could see thinning patches when I had the #3 buzzcut, I took those photos in the dark so they aren't noticeable.

Hope this helps.

Offline UVALee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
I think you look fine with both cuts. I would avoid the drugs and the side effects that come with them. I also think you will look fine bald. Ultimately, the decision is and should be one that you will be comfortable with.

Good luck!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »
I agree that the drugs are bad.  You seem to have fairly decent coverage still, so try the 0 buzz or go shorter and shave.  If you really hate it, it will grow back.  But give yourself time to get used to it, whatever you do.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:10 PM »
Welcome, Fletcher!

I still see a solid amount of coverage. The pictures look ok to me....but you could always try the no-guard and grow some facial hair to offset it if you aren't ready to go all the way just yet. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:21:46 PM »
Hey mate, you really have some reasonable coverage at this point that currently growing back to that doesn't make you look like you are fighting a losing battle. But a shaved head always goes well with some facial hair, I keep my beard pretty full myself and the top of the sideburns where the arms of my glasses to the ears.  I think you have plenty of time before nature will choose for you.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:49:19 AM »
Thanks for the kind responses guys, I really appreciate it.

Just want to mention that I don't have as much coverage as I did in those photos, they were taken over a year ago.

I just took these now:

Do your opinions change a bit after seeing these ones?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:52:01 AM by Fletcher »

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:06:25 AM »
My opinion does not change.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:08:05 AM »
All of your posted photos look just fine.  Either style is acceptable. But if you think your hair is thinning or you expect to be naturally bald some day, do stick around.  Read the conversations.

Shaving your head is a nice option which a number of us here on SBG do, just because we like it. Others because a fully shaved head looks better than obvious signs of balding. 

Review the 30 day rule, if you want to try SLY.  If you don't feel ready, just keep reading. One of these days you'll be ready to try the sly look and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Mr. Zed

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 06:13:17 AM »
I still don't see any difference between the first and second set of photos...but if you want to go for the shave, give it a shot! It'll eventually grow back if you don't like it!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »
Give it a try, if you don't like it it will grow back
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:29 PM »
I think you still have plenty of coverage so you don't have to worry about anything for a while.  But I also think that the problem with your last finals buzz cut is that it wasn't short enough it was too long, it looked messy, it didn't have any style. You should go to a real barbershop and test fly a high and tight faded buzz cut.  And then follow the 30 day rule.  Anytime you make a major style change you have to stick with it for 30 days to give your brain a chance to except your new identity.  No matter what kind of style change you make well within 30 days you will start to feel comfortable with it and be able to make an object a determination as to whether or not it's something you want to stick with.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 02:24:17 AM »
Thanks for the kind responses guys, I really appreciate it.

Just want to mention that I don't have as much coverage as I did in those photos, they were taken over a year ago.

I just took these now:

Do your opinions change a bit after seeing these ones?

Thanks

You still just have a slight widow's peak, doesn't look like you are losing it at any decent rate
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!