Author Topic: Advantages & Disadvantages for a Slyette  (Read 7577 times)

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages for a Slyette
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »
I'm finally starting to get head rubs and those are awesome too (provided not in a creepy context).  I'm surprised that I'm okay as I am with this invasion of my personal space!

I think most of us would agree... Our reaction is mostly determined by whom this head-rubbing is coming from.  -lol

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:53:22 AM by slymyke »

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »
I decided to add my slyette advantages and disadvantages too!  :D  Being really honest...

What's to love about being bald?

Bad hair days?  Extinct!  Bed head?  Nope.  Hat-hair?  Uh-uh.  Tangles?  Never.  Lice?  Can't get those either!

Much less itching.  :)  Dandruff?  What's dandruff?

Change my 'do any time I want to with a hat, scarf, bandana, etc.  I can even wear different color/style wigs, all in the same week!

I can pretend to be badass and get away with it for the first time ever.

I make earrings look awesome!  And I enjoy dressing up girly more than I used to.

You can't see my gray hairs....(nanny nanny boo boo)

Who needs an umbrella?  Not me.

Saving lots of $$$ on haircuts and products

Showers are fast and easy, just swipe my head with a towel and it's all dry.

Getting ready in the morning is faster too.

I really like my head's shape, as do many others.  I think I look cute bald just as well.

Focus on my eyes/face/what I'm saying rather than my hair.

Keeping a cool head in the summer.

Interesting coversation-starter, since I've never known a stranger.

Head rubs.

Most women like it or are "ok" with it and envy teh ease and worry-free lifestyle.

What's to hate about being bald

Bumping my head hurts more (and bruises show up too).

People constantly sharing their opinions (the negative ones anyways) of my head though I never asked.

People getting weirded out, not sure what to say or if they can look at me when out in public.

Getting mistaken for a cancer patient/lesbian/political activist.

Mosquitos like a bald head too...what's for dinner?

When I'm really tired or really sick...I think I sometimes look even sicker.

Getting mistaken for a guy just sucks (I usually pretend I didn't hear it...).

Winter without a hat can be really really cold.

My head is like velcro and tends to attract fuzzies from my environment (hats, others' clothing, lint) etc and friends have to pick my fuzz out because I can't see it myself or I go around all day with knots of various colors of fuzz stuck to my head...

This velcro effect can also make hats/shirts/bandanas/scarves difficult to remove!

Some places/events just aren't socially appropriate for a woman sporting the sly look - weddings, funerals, certain parties, many churches...

Men tend not to be fans.

Head rubs.

Nicks. Enough said.

CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »

People getting weirded out, not sure what to say or if they can look at me when out in public.

Sometimes I wonder if they think I don't know I'm bald?  ::) LOL.  Like my hair ran away and I wasn't fast enough to catch it?  I did tell a little boy that the other week...his eyes got really big.  I didn't tell him it may very well happen to him later in life...didn't want to scare him.   :-X  LOL.   

People's reactions when they see me range from:
 :D to  :/O   :o   O0   :-\   ???   O:O  and :@`  It's funny to watch their faces as I go through Walmart.
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline TV guy

• Sly Jr.
    • T.V.Puppetree
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »
I work with kids and they are really not judgemental. I DO get asked all the time "Do you know you're bald ?". Of course the sarcastic me wants to say "No I wasn't there at the time" but I always give a polite, age appropriate and true answer - kids see right through lies - and they love the fact that you will talk to them about something "embarrassing". I love the look of horror on a parent or teacher's face when a kid asks and I don't act like a typical grown-up and actually do answer them.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »
I've heard kids around and about "whisper" (since most kids are pretty bad at whispering) "Mom does that girl know she doesn't HAVE ANY HAIR!?"  I'm kind of awkward around kids so I don't say anything but just smile at them.  The kids always grin back. 

My favorite "innocence of children" moment ever was when one of my cousins was about two and my aunt had her pug over to play with the kids.  The two year old yelled "that dog has a hole in it!" and then proceeded to stick his finger three-knuckles deep into the poor pug's butthole.  Poor Pippi was never the same, and Tyler will never live that down.