Author Topic: long hair to sly (suggestion needed)?  (Read 11741 times)

Offline 99dumeng

• Learning the way of Sly
long hair to sly (suggestion needed)?
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »
I've been lurking here for a while & just went ahead and joined and posted.

While not SLY yet, I think nature has determined it's only a matter of time as you can see the "M" shape on my forehead.

I wear my hair long.  I have had long hair my entire adult life.  It's part of my identity.  I don't know how I can bridge that gap from long hair to no (or even extremely short) hair. I am not sure if I should keep the hair and monitor the receding hairline or just let go at its glorious time.

Has anyone here had to go from such an extreme to another?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  i would be happy to answer any question too !!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:33:36 PM by 99dumeng »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: long hair to sly (suggestion needed)?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 04:54:35 AM »
Welcome to the board!

We have had a few members with extremely long hair, and some of them wanted to try being sly just for personal reasons or whatever. Is it something that you've just wanted to do, or are you thinning? From your picture, everything looks fine to me, but then again, everyone else doesn't see what we see on our own heads. I would just try a shorter haircut first and donate what was cut off to charity (if you decide to go that route).
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:11:48 AM »
Welcome, what a perfect opportunity to donate your hair for charity and try the bald style. Sounds like you're ready for a change.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »
I'm still in shock. I didn't know men could grow hair that long. What the heck, I wonder if guys had hair like that back in like 500 B.C. ...

If you're concerned enough to jump off the lurker platform and start asking for advice and feedback, my guess is its mentally troubling you enough that you're ready to try shaving it off.

It will take like a decade probably to grow it back out that long, so make sure you know what you want for years to come before you act.

Pretty much everyone here loves being skin smooth shaved, and wouldn't recommend hair transplants, rogaine, etc...  We tend to encourage bravery and embracing the change that naturally is occurring with your body.

If you're interested in trying out the bald look, why ever not? You'll love it, and even if you have trouble reconciling it with your "identity", you can wear a wig in public as a last resort, or just wear hats like lots of men do. Theres options is all I'm saying.

I have to note too though, that identity shouldn't really be in things that can change. Legally speaking, your identity is based on (fairly) constants in an ever changing world. For example, what day you were born, where you were born, who your parents were at the time of your birth, your first issues social security number, your eye color, your fingerprint, etc. All these things that the government uses to identify every individual as specifically different, are contents that can't really be changed. Your identity should be found inside of you, in your heart and mind.

Personally, my identity is in Jesus Christ, because I'm a Christian. I dont need a fancy car, big house, nice shoes, great job, hot girlfriend, lots of money, or even hair to have my identity... Im just another sinner, saved by Jesus. Thats my identity.

Whatever is most important to you and makes you who you are, that is your true identity. I think you would agree that your hair doesn't meet that standard, right? Although special to you I'm sure, its not quite on the same level. So dont let that be the defining factor in making a choice that will significantly improve your lifestyle and well being. Do whats best for you!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »
Welcome!!  If you do decide to cut your hair...for sure donate it to a charity.  That in itself is a great cause.  It does sound like you are ready to make a change.  I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself.  Just be sure whatever you choose that it makes you happy.  After all, that's all that matters! 

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 11:05:54 AM »
Interesting...

Personally, I think it would be a crime to shave (or cut) such gorgeous hair.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
lol! ^

but imagine what a inconvenience and cost it must be.... probably takes a quarter bottle of shampoo and conditioner to wash, half hour to brush, constantly in your face and in your way, shedding everywhere like a dog, and expensive trims and care products.... :-/

I like my low maintenance dome....

it is Nice hair though, ill give it that!

Offline 99dumeng

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone !!  The M shaped forehead is not incredibly obvious but it is definitely there lol.  I will keep reading what others have to say and then make a decision !!!

:)

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 02:17:31 AM »
Looks like you have a great head of hair and the M although present isn't an issue.  If you want to try sly, as the others have said you could make (many) people happy by donating your hair.  It's a personal issue if you want to try it, go for it.  But you will see in many chats on this site that the advice is try it and see and in a few days you will be back to where you were, however, in your case that is a slight understatement! It may take a while. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:21:55 AM »
How is your decision coming along?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline 99dumeng

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 01:46:40 PM »
Still indecisive at the moment but have been checking out others shaved head on streets !!!  is that a progress? :)

Offline Vince

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 03:24:28 AM »
Wow!  You have a beautiful head of hair!  May I ask a few questions?  Firstly, how old are you?

Many guys start balding in their teens and early 20s.  I consider myself quite fortunate.  I didn't start noticeably balding until I was 45.  I am 54 now and I've been shaving my head since June of this year.

Just from looking at that one pic you posted which doesn't show the "M' that well, it appears to me that you may have a lot of time left before you have to make a decision.  Going from the amount of hair you currently have to bald is a huge step.  I wouldn't recommend it right now, unless you're really feeling it.

But like others have said, since you've been a lurker here and decided to join and start posting for advice means that it must be bothering you at some level.  I can tell you this much.  I, too, had a lot of hair.  Not as much hair as you, but still a lot, so when I started balding, I was crushed and went into a deep depression about it.  It really felt like the end of the world to me.  I struggled with that for 9 years.  When I finally reached the acceptance stage earlier this year and shaved my head, it was the most liberating feeling I ever had.  I so wish I did this long ago.

My advice is to take your time.  Keep reading stories and info here.  Keep asking advice and opinions.  When you're ready, you'll know it.  Good luck to you. :)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:58 AM »
The day before I shaved my head for the first time I had hair that was only about half as long as yours. Were it not for the fact that I was extremely sparse on top, and the northern Wisconsin deer flies, I would have kept it. I had maintenance down to a science, wash it in the shower, run a brush through it, tie it up and out the door. It added about 5 minutes to a shower.

I guess what I'm saying is that, were I to be in your position, I would keep it. As a head shaver for the better part of 19 years I know I'm going against the grain in a bald guys' forum but those are my thoughts.

If the hair length is creating problems for you or you're just tired of it then slice it off and go sly but I would give this a lot of thought. You obviously have a lot of time invested in that head of hair and sly is not for everybody. In most cases what I'm inclined to say is that going sly is just a haircut, give it a few months and it will grow back if you don't like the smooth dome. But in your case that would take years so this is more than just a haircut, it is a life change.

But best wishes in whatever you decide and if you do decide to shave you have a great place here to hang out, figuratively speaking.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline 99dumeng

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 08:23:25 PM »
Hello Vince,

Thank you for the feedback and compliment !!  you look so much younger than 54.  I thought you are in your early 30s. ;D  I am 34 years old.  my hairline is starting to recede but not very obvious to most.   Do you think long hair will make the receding go faster?

Wow!  You have a beautiful head of hair!  May I ask a few questions?  Firstly, how old are you?

Many guys start balding in their teens and early 20s.  I consider myself quite fortunate.  I didn't start noticeably balding until I was 45.  I am 54 now and I've been shaving my head since June of this year.

Just from looking at that one pic you posted which doesn't show the "M' that well, it appears to me that you may have a lot of time left before you have to make a decision.  Going from the amount of hair you currently have to bald is a huge step.  I wouldn't recommend it right now, unless you're really feeling it.

But like others have said, since you've been a lurker here and decided to join and start posting for advice means that it must be bothering you at some level.  I can tell you this much.  I, too, had a lot of hair.  Not as much hair as you, but still a lot, so when I started balding, I was crushed and went into a deep depression about it.  It really felt like the end of the world to me.  I struggled with that for 9 years.  When I finally reached the acceptance stage earlier this year and shaved my head, it was the most liberating feeling I ever had.  I so wish I did this long ago.

My advice is to take your time.  Keep reading stories and info here.  Keep asking advice and opinions.  When you're ready, you'll know it.  Good luck to you. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:26:46 PM by 99dumeng »

Offline 99dumeng

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 08:25:33 PM »
Thank you buddha,

you look nice with shaved head.  Did shaving your head make the balding progress go slower?  I  have someone told me that and that is why I am considering it .

The day before I shaved my head for the first time I had hair that was only about half as long as yours. Were it not for the fact that I was extremely sparse on top, and the northern Wisconsin deer flies, I would have kept it. I had maintenance down to a science, wash it in the shower, run a brush through it, tie it up and out the door. It added about 5 minutes to a shower.

I guess what I'm saying is that, were I to be in your position, I would keep it. As a head shaver for the better part of 19 years I know I'm going against the grain in a bald guys' forum but those are my thoughts.

If the hair length is creating problems for you or you're just tired of it then slice it off and go sly but I would give this a lot of thought. You obviously have a lot of time invested in that head of hair and sly is not for everybody. In most cases what I'm inclined to say is that going sly is just a haircut, give it a few months and it will grow back if you don't like the smooth dome. But in your case that would take years so this is more than just a haircut, it is a life change.

But best wishes in whatever you decide and if you do decide to shave you have a great place here to hang out, figuratively speaking.