Author Topic: Another - Can I pull it off  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Drak

• Learning the way of Sly
Another - Can I pull it off
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:59:18 AM »
I'm done dealing with treatments, my hair is rapidly leaving my head, and I've developed an "island" in the front pretty quickly. Growing it out long I'm constantly piecing my hair together to cover my missing temples, very frustrating.

I have it short now - but I want to just lop it off. But I have absolutely terrible stats.
24yo, 5'10 @ 135lbs - thin neck, not much height or weight. And my head shape is kinda long.

I still toss the idea of trying DUT/RU - but I have a hard time getting myself to believe that's the best option anymore.. :(

Shave it down to a 0/1 - or just keep it all off?

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Another - Can I pull it off
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »
First, don't worry about the "stats" because there are no perfect stats.  The guys on this site cover the entire range of physical stats and are comfortable with being sly regardless of our "stats".  Second, if you have reached the point of frustration with your hair and are spending a lot of time worrying about it, then you are wasting a good chunk of your life and it's probably affecting other aspects of your life. At 24, you have far more important things to devote your time to than worrying about your hair.

My advice: buzz it down to a 1 or a 0.  It will give you an idea of how you will look sly. Keep it that way for a couple weeks to get used to it and allow others to get used to it.  If you don't like it, let your hair grow out.  It won't take long.  If you like it, then try shaving your head. The difference in appearance between a 0 and fully shaved isn't much, but the feeling of a smooth head is very different than a 0 buzz.  Once you've shaved, stick to the 30 day rule to get comfortable with the new appearance.

Good luck with your decision. 

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:15:57 AM »
The stats do not matter - bald comes in all shapes and sizes.  FYI - I was you size at 24 as well.

My suggestion - shave it smooth for 30 days, and if you gain some length on the facial hair it will help balance the look.  If shaving smooth is too big of a change for you, then keep it buzzed short at the 0 and transition to shaved in a few weeks.  You will like it razor blade shaved smooth better than buzzed with the sandpaper feel.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
I'm done dealing with treatments, my hair is rapidly leaving my head, and I've developed an "island" in the front pretty quickly. Growing it out long I'm constantly piecing my hair together to cover my missing temples, very frustrating.

I have it short now - but I want to just lop it off. But I have absolutely terrible stats.
24yo, 5'10 @ 135lbs - thin neck, not much height or weight. And my head shape is kinda long.

I still toss the idea of trying DUT/RU - but I have a hard time getting myself to believe that's the best option anymore.. :(

Shave it down to a 0/1 - or just keep it all off?

Try the #000 for a while. I think it would be a hot look for ya. Guys who do it look alpha-male, balding, or not.

At that point, your worrying about loosing more hair is pretty much over. If you did shave it, the difference between that and a #000 is only a few days growth.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:29:29 PM »
I agree with the others - except about the beard.  Young guys like you look better with the Alpha-male stubble look.  Try the 000 buzz and you will look just like Jason Statham!  And don't be afraid to take a razor to your noggin - even Jason Statham would look better if he would do that, (the Monk Fringe of Jason's buzz cut is not doing him any favors).

Offline Drak

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
I appreciate all the motivation. It's a lot easier to hear that, then to be barged with "just take fin, or get a HT".
I went ahead and did a zero, or at least as far as my clippers would go with no guard.

I'm still debating on my headshape, but I think it's short enough to know what I'd look like shaved with a razor.
I don't mind it as much as I thought it would.  O0

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 06:04:50 AM »
You look good with the very short buzz = go ahead and shave.  Head shape is fine. 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 06:25:28 AM »
I appreciate all the motivation. It's a lot easier to hear that, then to be barged with "just take fin, or get a HT".
I went ahead and did a zero, or at least as far as my clippers would go with no guard.

I'm still debating on my headshape, but I think it's short enough to know what I'd look like shaved with a razor.

Oh Yeah!

Own it brother!

Take a razor  to that noggin and either trim that beard down to a one or two day stubble, (or simply shave your face every third or forth day), and you will have Statham wishing he looked as good as you!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »

Looks great. Like a UFC fighter. That should score you points with the gals immediately. I think your days of worrying about your hairline are over. Live it, enjoy it.

Offline Drak

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »
Thanks everyone. I feel much better!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

Awesome!  You are almost there.  Take some time with the tight buzz and when you are ready take a razor blade to it.  Headshape is not an issue.  Most guys are worried about head shape, but rarely, almost never, is headshape an issue.
SlyBeard

Offline Vince

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:26:29 AM »
It's amazing to me how we all think the same way about our heads before we actually muster up the courage to "just do it."

For 9 years, I thought I had the worst shaped head in the world so I just wore hats everyday to cover my noggin.

Now I laugh at that notion. Lol... my bald head rocks!  I own it and wear it proudly!  Once you make the decision to "own it" with no apologies, people will accept it and it will be no big deal at all.

Your head looks good man!  OWN IT!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
The difference between your current buzz cut and bald is nill.

It's an easy step.  Personally, I really like the feel of a smooth head over the buzz.  And it is only 7 days from a full head shave back to a zero buzz.

A bald head, beard, and earring go well together. 

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »
The short buzz looks really good on you.  I tend to think smooth would also suit you, if you're so inclined.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:41 PM »
You have an interesting facial shape, combined with very dramatic eyes.

You pull off the buzz, with the short beard... very well.

I would shave it, on like a Friday before a long weekend, and see how you like it.

I agree with the others, go for it!