Author Topic: Dovo Head Shaver  (Read 11625 times)

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
Dovo Head Shaver
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:16:26 AM »
Yesterday I received a package in the mail, and one of the things that was in it was my new Dovo Head Shaver.

I tell you, being a rather experienced shaver in general and having tried virtually every type of product out there I was still a little nervous and skeptical about this thing, even more than I was about the Headblade - mostly because I couldn't find any information on it.

It's design is solid and well built, though simple. Three finger openings allow you complete control, even with larger hands like mine it worked well and felt natural.

Well, onto the shave... Although I preach not to rush prep, it was difficult for me to follow my own advice this morning, but I managed. Full rinse, Apricot scrub, another rinse, lather, rinse, re-lather... I was ready, but nervous.

The nerves settled somewhere between my temple and the back of my ear as the first pass was made successfully and without bodily harm. The remainder of the shave went equally well and I was impressed with the amount of control I had. With the Dovo Head Shaver it's more of what we're used to with traditional handled razors. For me, it seems to follow the contours of my head better, at least that's my thought after my initial shave.

Seeing as how this was my first shave with this razor I'll give it another thumbs up in the 'common sense' category, it does exactly what you would expect it to, and feels comfortable doing it. That said, you are in full control of the razor and I took advantage of that (perhaps a little too far). I went a little crazy making passes this way and that and never felt in danger of doing harm, and luckily never did (knock on wood). No nicks, cuts, irritation and a BBS shave our first time out together... Dovo and I have a long, happy future ahead of us I think.

I'm sure everyone is wanting a comparison between the Dovo and the Headblade, but I'm not prepared to give one just yet... right now they are both top notch head shavers. One advantage I see with the Dovo however is that it's  easier to get around the ears and near effortless on the side of your head going against the grain, something I was struggling with using the Headblade.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:19:20 AM by Lucky13MN »

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
Re: Dovo Head Shaver
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »
Very interesting razor...what kind of blades does it use?

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 11:14:07 AM »
Merkur (which I think may be Atra compatible), but comes with an adapter for the Sensor cartridges.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
Just curious Lucky.  How many days can you shave now without using the same razor twice?? 

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »
Let's see here...

I could probably go a month if my count is correct. Add in razor/blade combos and I'd be good for much longer :) My Headblade count alone is up to 5. (3 Headblade Sports, 1 Headblade Clear, 1 Headblade S4)

We won't even get started on creams/gels/lotions.

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
I think you need an intervention. 5 Headblades?  :x!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:02:05 PM »
2 are collectors (Clear and S4), one Sport for home - one for the camper and a 3rd uh... just in case one of you guys stops by and needs to borrow one, yeah that's it!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:17:34 PM by Lucky13MN »

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »
lol
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »
Let's see here...

I could probably go a month if my count is correct. Add in razor/blade combos and I'd be good for much longer :) My Headblade count alone is up to 5. (3 Headblade Sports, 1 Headblade Clear, 1 Headblade S4)

We won't even get started on creams/gels/lotions.

LOL.....OK....thanks for the update.... O0

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »
Nice one,

known about this thing for a while now and wanted to know what fellow sly guys thought.  Still going  to reserve judgement on it. for the meantime.

Offline Mr. Wilson

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 03:33:13 AM »
Very interesting razor...what kind of blades does it use?

"Our clever interchangeable cartridge system allows you to choose from any of the popular Pivoting Twin Blade cartridges made by Merkur, Gillette, or Schick."

"This product will draw inevitable comparisons to the HeadBlade, so I should point out a few things. First, they can use the same blades, as the HeadBlade uses blade adapters manufactured by DOVO."

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »
I would me most interested in a review of them and the advantages and disadvantages

God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
If I did a comparison review, you may need a new member name and photo ;)

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »
If I did a comparison review, you may need a new member name and photo ;)

LOL

:x!

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »
I went out and purchased the Dovo Headshaver and I am ready to give a review on both:

I have used the Headblade Sport because the wheels make shaving really easy because you have 2 points of contact: the wheels and the blade.  The Dovo Headshaver does not give you two points of contact, you can but it jeopodizes the shave bacause of the protruse angle: advantage HeadBlade

The Dovo Headshaver is solid as a rock and made of stainless steel  and very durable while the HeadBlade is made from plastic and I have dropped it before and was forced to buy another one when the wheels broke: advantage Dovohshaver

Ease of use: well that is going to depend on the level of expertise:  I feel the Headblade is better for a beginner because of the two points of contact as mentioned before but do not let that discourage you from using the Dovo Headshaver if you desire but I feel the Dovo is for the advanced headshaver who already has the feel for how to shave and has the shaving angles down.  You can take longer strokes easier with the Headblade because of the 2 points of contact  in my opinion: you have to be more careful and take shorter strokes with the Dovo:  The Dovo headshaver is easier to use around the back and top of the ears imho: I say a draw on this one because each person has his own way of shaving

The Dovo has 3 finger holes for extra control as the Headblade only has one so I give the Dovo an edge here.

The overall shave of the Dovo was not as good as the Headblade starting out so it took me awhile to adust to it so once again the Headblade is great for beginners:

Now for the ultimate answer: will the Dovo replace my Headblade? right now no but I will continue to use the Dovo because it is a quality razor.  

In general, they are both great razors and I feel you can get a great dome shave with either but some will prefer the Headblade over the Dovo and vice versa.  If you have any questions or want me to cover more topics of questions, I will be glad tol.. I hope you liked this review
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:01:47 PM by HeadbladerBob »