Author Topic: My story  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Jere330

• Learning the way of Sly
My story
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
Hey everyone my name is Jeremy. My story is probably a little different than most on here. About three years ago I started noticing  weird shaped bald patches all over my head. I went to a dermatologist & after he did a scalp biopsy I was diagnosed with scarring alopecia. Scarring alopecia is basically when there is scarring down below the skin and makes it so the hair follicle is nonexistent. At first i grew my hair longer & styled it with products like dermmatch to try to hide the patches. That worked for awhile but I kept getting more patches and I was getting tired of using dermmatch every single morning. About a month ago I decided to shave it all off. Unfortunately the areas where hair follicles still exist create a patchy shadow and make my scalp look like a globe. I have tried tanning my head, & using jergens natural glow but you still can clearly see the contrast of where there is hair follicles & where there isn't on my scalp. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of things I could do to get rid of the patchy shadow? Thanks for reading my story & sorry it is so long. Thanks- Jeremy

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: My story
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »
Welcome, Jeremy!

First, don't apologize, there is no such thing as a long story, and second you're not the first member with an issue with alopecia.

While most would be against this, a short term fix would be to invest in some Toppik and put over the patches on your head, or another option would be to get the DermaBlend concealer and apply it either over the hairy parts of your head. (I only suggest you do this when you're going out and apply the Toppik or Concealer with a small brush or a Q-Tip

More expensive options would be to get laser treatments or to get scalp micropigmentation over the alopecia spots. Best of luck in whatever you decide if anything, and feel free to ask questions as needed
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:00:26 PM »
Welcome Jeremy
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:30:20 PM »
Welcome to SBG .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 04:00:27 PM »
Welcome.  Hopefully, someone with some expertise will come along.
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
Because of your physical  conditiion, laser removal might  be  the  way to go.  And,if your dermatologist is willing to write a letter to insurance company -  it MIGHT even help cover the cost.  It is, at least, worth asking!

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
Hi. Most times alopecia is temporary. I had alopecia long time ago and it stopped within 6 months. It scared me a bit but my hair started to grow again. . That was before I started to shave my head by choice. So if you don't know it's permanent dont use lasers. Maybe it will grow back.In the meanwhile enjoy your bald head.I's cool!!!