Author Topic: New member  (Read 9218 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« on: November 25, 2006, 12:38:12 PM »
Hi, guys.

I just discovered this great site and joined.  My hairline began to slowly recede when I was in college.  I still had most of my hair by the time I was 30, but it was around that time that I became fascinated with the idea of shaving my head.  I really wondered what it would be like but didn't think I'd ever have the nerve to ever actually try it.  One weekend in January 2002, I decided to try to give myself a buzzcut, to save some some money.  The #1 guard didn't cut close enough, so I decided to try it without the guard.  That left my hair way shorter than I'd expected.  I was practically bald at that point, so it seemed like a good opportunity to shave off the rest and see what it was like.   I liked the result and smooth feel a lot, but felt too self-conscious to keep it and let it grow back right away.   However, within a couple of months, I got the urge to shave it all off again.

I shaved several times and always ended up growing it back within a week or so, never quite sure if the look was "me".   By November 2003 the recession had worsened, and I'd begun to thin out all over the top.  I got the urge to shave again and did it on the day after Thanksgiving, November 27, 2003.  This time, I made a vow, that no matter what, I would shave my head every day for the next three months.  There were times that I really had to force myself to do it, but I managed to honor my pledge.  I found that when the three months were up, I didn't want to grow my hair back.  Three months became four, then five, and then six. 

Then one day, I inexplicably started to miss my hair and started to grow it back.   I found that the thinning and recession had worsened considerably, and after 10 days I was left with an MPB fringe and a little peach fuzz on top. That's when I got the razor out and made my head smooth again.

I've been completely bald for three years now (or will be in another 2 days) and have almost forgotten what it was like to have hair.  I still think about it sometimes, but can't imagine what it would be like to have my head covered with hair.  I think I would really miss my smooth bald pate.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »
looks sharp. keep it up.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:02:05 PM »
Lookin good RazorX...keep it up and welcome to the forum!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
Glad you embraced it!!  Welcome to the forums!

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:43:05 PM »
 :D Ahoy, RazorX: just read your post of November 25th and was interested to note a parallel with my own experience. I just shaved for the first time on November 4th. Since then, I have found that daily shaving confirms the identity and diminishes the impulse [based on denial and nostalgia?] to  grow my hair back. I was interested to learn how that three-month vow you made worked.  Locking into the new identity actually produces bald pride moments that would have been unthinkable for me a month ago. The bald image is utterly reliable, honest, adult, and male; my wife loves it; there is no more hairspray gunk on my jacket and shirt collars; and I am not anxious about wind gusts and convertibles. After reading your story, I'd be downhearted to learn that you'd decided to grow back what you've got left. Staying bald preempts nature; growing it back only makes one subject to it again. Am I talking this into myself or do you and the other guys chime with my reasoning? Professor Melon 
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »
i agree prof. melon.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »
Right on Melon!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline MC HammerHead

• "..I shouldn't have to tell you who I am...because who I am should be speaking for itself.."
  • Sly
  • Future's So Bright, Got To Wear Shades..and SPF 45
    • Downhillbillies
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 02:12:07 PM »
They don't call him the PRofessor for nothing!  Right on.

Welcome RazorX.  If you can be as cool as Bald Rob, as smooth as Tyler, as funny as PigPen, as smart as Melon, and straight up nice like Pburke you will fit right in here....

Of course I am none of those things but they let me hang around anyway.

MC HammerHead
Downhillbillies Skateboarding Organization
Woody's Halfpipe Board Shop Team
Pavel Skates Flow Team
Axe Army
Headblade Street Team
www.myspace.com/mchammerhead

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »
we don't want to exclude anyone. even hammerheads. haha

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 03:46:52 PM »
I don't care what anyone says about Hammerhead, he's purty ok.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:49:13 PM »
he is purty ok. you are right. hahaha

BaldRob

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 03:57:52 PM »
Alright... Paul and Pigpen... you two are reeeaaaallllly starting to scare me!   ;D

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 03:59:47 PM »
You are frightened yes? This is ok...hey Rob how was your day?

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 04:04:20 PM »
don't be skirred rob. i think rob had a long day today...........da-bears lost last night.

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 04:05:03 PM »
Yeah that always makes for a long day