Author Topic: Ahoy, mates! I'm Professor Melon  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
Ahoy, mates! I'm Professor Melon
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:18:36 PM »
I'm new to the forum and counting on your insights. After fighting a 25 year battle against balding, I embraced it a week ago, got a close buzz cut, which was not the look I was aiming at, then shaved it all off. Greatly encouraged by the best websites. My wife has been supportive from the get-go; most feedback has been positive. When told, my adult daughter said, "mom, please tell me this is a Halloween trick," but then she did a turn-about and now thinks it's cool. I am worried about the response of my long-time colleagues, who have not yet seen the change, since I am on sabbatical and have not gone to the college. Any observations about negative reactions? What started for me as an experiemnt seems to be turning into a commitment. I mastered headshaving in two goes.  I am glad to be on board and eager to read your comments. Professor Melon

Embrace the bald truth

BaldRob

Re: Ahoy, mates! I'm Professor Melon
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 04:04:54 PM »
Hi Professor and welcome!

You will be surprised at the reactions to your newly clean pate... and the reactions will be better than you think.  At first, there will be stares and such, but overall most people applaud someone who has the courage to make such a drastic change, especially after 25 years of the balding fight.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »
Professor, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I think the new look suits you.

As for your new look:

You definetly get some stares; especially until you get some color in the areas that you used to have hair.

If you've been battling balding, most of the people that know you will probably encourage the new look.  As for you colleaugues, I'm sure they'll love it.  The students will definetly dig it!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 07:27:41 PM »
Welcome Professor and congratulations on your bold bald move. I think your colleauges will applaud you and embrace your new look with you. Personally, I have a full head of hair naturally but have been shaving for a year and a half. All of my co-workers have figured out it won't be coming back, so they just got used to it.

BBC
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 09:24:44 PM »
 ;D Ahoy, Mates! Your advice was right on. Some colleagues were taken aback by my newly 'clean' pate--for about four seconds--then, as Ron predicted,  applauded the boldness of the move. The women were especially enthusiatic in their approval. Several of the guys expressed admiration at my daring such a make-over, an uncommon thing in staid academic circles.The whole discussion provided a bright spot in the midst of a wake. Tyler, your comment that 'the new look suits me' and that I needed some color in the areas so recently covered by hair caused me to spend most of the weekend in the garden, so the discrepancy is already fading. We saw a truly hideous combover, which only confirmed the rightness of my new bald identity. Thanks, gents! Note second pic.
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:14:01 PM »
Professor, I'm so glad you had such a positive experience with your friends and colleagues!  The new pic looks great!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.