Author Topic: At what age did you shave your head? (older guys)  (Read 72502 times)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: At what age did you shave your head? (older guys)
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2013, 06:51:15 AM »
I've used clippers for years, but the first time I used a razor to go completely sly was this past summer at 49.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
I think that my first head shave was in 1982.  I'd occasionally shave my head and then grow my hair, such as it was, back.  The hair got shorter and the periods of buzzcuts got longer.  I started shaving my head at least once a year, then more frequently around 2000.  Finally, on September 26 of this year, I shaved my head after shaving it two months in a row and letting it grow back.  It is still shaved; I just turned 61.  So, I'm a late bloomer!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »
Started shaving completely bald this last November 2013 at 42.  Will be 43 in April to give you perspective.

I knew I was gonna do it at some point once my hair had thinned to the point where it didn't make sense to keep it any longer, but I figured it wouldn't be until my mid to late 40's.  Was never gonna be the guy with the horseshoe, my vanity wouldn't allow it.  I had been buzzing hair for a year and my last pass with the clippers, I saw that it was seeming significantly thinner and made the decision to just shave it all off.  Best decision ever and I'm not going back!
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
Going sly is liberating, isn't it? One less time consuming thing to worry about!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
Going sly is liberating, isn't it? One less time consuming thing to worry about!
That it is!  Although it does take some time still with shaving and all, but it's time I don't mind spending!
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »
I have been a zero clipper shaver since 2008 at age 56. This site gave me the support, encouragement & guidance to be a zero clipper shaver, as I searched to find an appropriate, younger looking hair style that matched my outlook on life, not my age.  My barber was also egging me along for shorter and shorter buzz cuts, but he did not do razor shaves.  My first razor shave was at 57 in 2009. I have been pretty much clippershaved since then with occasional razor shave periods (and nothing longer than a #1 buzz) mostly on vacation the last few years...for a week or so.  I am now 61 and I generally prefer a clippershaved, as opposed to a razor shaved, head. My thinning hair never bothered me until I drew close to "retiring" from a fairly conservative career and wanted to "re-invent" myself.  In the past year, I also lost about 18 pounds (187 to 169...was down to 164 at one point), so between the clippershave and weight loss, I feel pretty good about 2013 and what I did for my appearance.     

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
About 27-28 if memory serves.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Bald Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2014, 05:34:26 PM »
44 for me.  Just started razor shaving it on Jan. 2, 2014

Offline Powder88

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2014, 12:35:43 AM »
I Started shaving my head @ 18. I am now 25
Been Doin This Since 18 Son.

Offline Aussie Sly Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly Since March 2011
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2014, 12:57:21 AM »
Razor since I was 23, and clippers for 5years before that. I am now 26.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:00:28 AM by Aussie Sly Guy »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »
Last June, age 59.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
In October, 2003 at age 56. I have been shaving it since then and love the chrome dome. It is the best decision I have ever made. I love the looks of a sly, smooth and shiny chrome dome.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »
I was 55 when I finally accepted that due to receding and thinning at the hairline, my flattop wasn't working any more, so I started getting #2 buzz cuts with bald fades on the sides to make what was left on top look thicker.  Later that year I had the barber shave it smooth with a razor for the first time just before I went on a week's vacation.  My wife wasn't enthralled with the look, so I let it grow back out to a #2 buzzcut, but kept cutting it shorter and shorter over the next year until I was down to a clipper shave.  Then, two years ago I decided to try the 30-day trial, and I've been sly ever since.

Good-looking dome artorg!

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »
I was 58 when I first shaved my head (BBC).

Just curious about some of you other guys, who later in life became sly.  At what age did you shave your head and did you NEED (BBN) to or just WANT (BBC) to?

I was 30 when I first shaved my head bald. Lasted a week. Then again, when I was 35. Lasted another week. Then permanently bald from 45.

Always wanted the bald look. The SBG forum and 30 day trial gave the confidence and determination to shave my head. Over 4 years now as a SBG and I think my hairline has receded. But since I'm slick bald, I neither know for sure, nor care !

Offline TheRedChile

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2016, 12:06:51 AM »
     I think I was about 13-14 the first time I shaved my head.... got in trouble at school for dying my hair green for a soccer game. The next day I had a friend shave that dome clean. it was a statement because its my hair ill do what I want. I remember the principle asking why I shaved and I said because you guys where worried about the color and now you have to deal with the shine.

I was about 23 or 24 when I started doing it habitually though.