Author Topic: I have a rare and serious problem: a big dent in my head and balding  (Read 83367 times)

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
Hello fellow members,

I have had a dent in my head since as far back as I can remember. and it's quite big, like someone smashed a bat into my head. I never figured out the cause, perhaps a sailing accident as a child i remember getting hit goddamn hard by that metal beam in my little childrens sailing boat.

like where the head is supposed to bend there is a dent

Anyway it was always covered up by my hair, I always found it a petty i could not have a cool cuzz cut like my friends as a child.

Now i'm 24 and my hairline is really receding, I only look good for about a week when I just got a haircut, then the rest of the month I start looking like sh*t.

I suppose I'd look decent with a buzz cut because the thickness is still ok just receding.

Anyway this skull dent matter is holding me back. I've studied hundreds of bald heads in real life and online and no one has this problem. (a lot have the alien long cranium thing tho which also looks bad, i hope i dont have this to compound the dent. black fellas seem to have a nice round head more often than not, which in addition to their tan gives them a good bald look)

So I booked an appointment with a neuro surgeon and will ask if he can help me. Perhaps they can "fill up" the dent with bone cement.

Just wanted to vent because a normal person would think I am crazy talking about things like this
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:18:37 AM by capitalmatters »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome! We hear more stories about dents, bumps, etc in one's head than I care to count. I think you may want to check with a neurosurgeon to check for possible brain damage if you had head trauma. I had an accident at work 2 1/2 years ago when I had gotten hit in the head by a barge cover. No brain damage but I get headaches out of the blue a lot. Getting back to topic, a bald head is a bald head, and we all are going to have our imperfections... I have about three or four scars showing from various surgeries but they are so small, only another sly guy would notice. I would worry more about my health from this injury than cosmetics....check out some of the other threads and guys will tell you "I have___________ here" or I have _____ there" IMHO people are going to spot your thinning hair faster than your dent, and if you shave it may not even stand out that much...Good luck and keep us posted!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
It seems prudent to have an evaluation - aside from hair or "no hair" issues.

And as is usual, I think we are much more critical of ourselves - seeing issues that others don't even notice, or making them out to be a HUGE deal when they're not.

Were I you I'd probably go with a buzz cut to make an initial adjustment, and then you can move into "Full sly mode' if you wish.

Regardless, stick around here because you'll get a lot of information from folks who have a myriad of experiences and have confronted an even greater number of issues.

And ... lastly, welcome!
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Welcome,

I hope you can sort it out and get sly!

When was the last time you had it short enough to see?

Good luck!
Lynchy

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Im no neuro surgeon but used to work with em for 8 years . I would hope they would  say leave  well  alone  , yes it its  correctable but this is cosmetic surgery  with a  lot of risks  , listen carefully to what he or she says  . Try shaving it and see what it looks like 

Offline rfn

• Sly Jr.
I feel your pain.

I hit myself over the head with a pick-up truck a few years ago (don't ask), and it left me with a fair-sized dent in my noggin.  My dent is in the parietal bone, where the side of your skull sort of angles up towards the top.  That is the biggest thing that keeps me from going sly, and even a buzz cut makes me feel pretty self-concious about it.  There's a pic here: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=15428.msg240552#msg240552

I've spoken to a couple of doctors, and some of them recommended fat injections.  Apparently they can extract fat from somewhere in your body, and put it between your scalp and your skull.  That may or may not be safe, and I don't know whether the contour will be satisfactory.  I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.  Perhaps it's worth mentioning to any doctors that you speak to.

Good luck bro.

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: I have a rare and serious problem: a big dent in my head and balding
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
I feel your pain.

I hit myself over the head with a pick-up truck a few years ago (don't ask), and it left me with a fair-sized dent in my noggin.  My dent is in the parietal bone, where the side of your skull sort of angles up towards the top.  That is the biggest thing that keeps me from going sly, and even a buzz cut makes me feel pretty self-concious about it.  There's a pic here: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=15428.msg240552#msg240552

I've spoken to a couple of doctors, and some of them recommended fat injections.  Apparently they can extract fat from somewhere in your body, and put it between your scalp and your skull.  That may or may not be safe, and I don't know whether the contour will be satisfactory.  I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.  Perhaps it's worth mentioning to any doctors that you speak to.

Good luck bro.

there IS  solution http://exploreplasticsurgery.com/2010/10/13/case-study-minimally-invasive-cranioplasty-using-kryptonite-bone-cement/

but i'm in europe and this surgeon is american and he charges like $15,000 for this procedure

i have an appointment with a neuro surgeon in my country in 2 months and will ask if he can do this

i dont see why not really

people should stop minimizing this problem

a dented bald head is a ticket to suicide land

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:22:23 AM by capitalmatters »

Offline rfn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
there IS  solution http://exploreplasticsurgery.com/2010/10/13/case-study-minimally-invasive-cranioplasty-using-kryptonite-bone-cement
I saw that as well, but I'm concerned about what happens if you hit your head on the spot where you have bone cement.  Since the bone underneath is is thinner than the surrounding bone, I'd be worried that it would easily break your skull.  If it were up to me, I'd go for something soft, like silicone (or fat), which can easily absorb an impact.  Try dropping a rubber ball and a ceramic vase; that'll illustrate my theory.
a dented bald head is a ticket to suicide land
Woah, slow down there buddy.  From one dented-head bald guy to another, even though I am self-concious about it, there are far worse things in the world than our "little issue".  It's not cool, yes, but it doesn't make you less of a man than any other bald man.  A friend of mine's husband has been diagnosed with cancer; it's eaten away at his body, apparently it went into his brain, and the doctors said that there's not much that they can do for him - faith and prayer are the only things left.  He's a young guy, he has a wife and a two year old daughter and when I last spoke to his wife, he was in a wheelchair - and he used to be an athletic kind of guy.  That really put things in perspective for me.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
I would imagine that filling in that dent would be a relatively low-risk medical procedure if it's just a medical filler going in between the skull and scalp.  If your skull is dented from that accident instead of genetics then I wonder if that point on your skull is weaker than it should be and if the bone cement could restore some of the strength.  I would also ask about the scaring the procedure would cause on the skin and whether or not this could cause problems in your latter years because I've heard that the skull actually shrinks with age (and I imagine bone cement would not)

You also might want to try an actual headshave, and not a short buzzcut, first just to see what you really have.  What you feel on your head might be nowhere near as bad as what you actually see, and I suggest a shave over a buzzcut because a buzzcut might actually amplify the look of the dent.  With a buzz, the look is highly dependent on how the hairs are standing from the skin and if the skin they're growing out of is dented then the length of the hairs would exaggerate the look.  I had that haircut for years and it's hard to describe, but look at a guy with a buzzcut and you'll see that the look of the hair depends a lot on the angle you look at it.  The hair seems to change in the same way that chameleon paint on a car changes at different angles, so a bump can exaggerate that while smooth skin may not.

I've been getting pretty handy with Bondo and fiberglass resin (I'm actually online right now only because I'm waiting for a layer of paint to dry on my modified dashboard) so if the cost is a problem then I could do it and will only charge you $7500.  I'm sure the process is pretty much the same!  You could also hit Disney World before you head home!  Hum... I think I'll need to clean my Dremel first...
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
welcome. I hope you have the strength to do it. you can at least give it a try.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »
None of us are genuinely symmetrical. A bald head feels and look great. Don't sweat it. It's YOU. It make you unique.  Enjoy the bald head. Looks better than thin hair.

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
None of us are genuinely symmetrical. A bald head feels and look great. Don't sweat it. It's YOU. It make you unique.  Enjoy the bald head. Looks better than thin hair.

a deformed bald head doesnt look good

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
Not to sound unsympathetic, but nobody looks perfect. So what?

My entire right cheek is covered by a bright red birthmark. So freaking what?

It's just superficial appearance. There are a lot worse things that could be wrong that actually matter.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
Well, without a picture, it's impossible to know what your head looks like.  But, consider rfn's comment about his friend with real problems.  My son-in-law had a friend from childhood who developed brain cancer.  After his surgery he had a rather distinctive indentation and scar on the side, but he stayed shaved down because hair wouldn't grow there after the surgery and radiation treatments.  He lived, he married a lovely woman, had a beautiful daughter, had two relapses, kept living to the fullest extent, working for H-P as a computer whiz, until he died, 8 years after his initial diagnosis.  He didn't have a disfigurement, as you would seem to see, he had a solid, resolute and loving grasp on life, nice shaved melon, and I'm proud to have known him.  You know, with his smile, his engaging manner--that dent, scar and whatever weren't noticed, not at all. 
You need to talk this out with a professional if you really think that this dent is that important.  The dent's only a symptom that you have about something you really don't like about yourself I would bet.  That's what needs to be fixed, and once you've done that, the dent won't matter.

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »
"nobody is perfect"

doesn't mean that a lot of people have deformities

in fact they are rare