Author Topic: Tips on Staying Smoothing During a Seborrheic Dermatitis Outbreak?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline twilliam414

• Learning the way of Sly
Tips on Staying Smoothing During a Seborrheic Dermatitis Outbreak?
« on: September 24, 2016, 03:15:17 AM »
Hey everyone,

I just have a few practical questions but first, a back story (or just skip down):

I'm new to the Forum, just shaved down with a straight razor on Thursday, with the major push being that I had a serious and heavy onset of seborrheic dermatitis, which had only occasionally been an issue with me before. The pills and shampoo on their own may have done the trick on their own but anecdotally at least shaving seemed to work well and pretty fast. I didn't just have dandruff, from as far as I could tell my whole scalp was covered in some strange mucus-y goop. Went to the barber, said the best he could do without possibly wrecking my head and/or his clippers was take it down to a 4 and then I started to use a shampoo. Went to a doctor who confirmed that it was SD, gave me another shampoo and a 3-week anti-fungal treatment, neither endorsed or discouraged any hair-related route. The shampoo helped enough to where I was able to find a guy who was willing to be patient and completely shave it all off, including the dried scales and all of that.

As it stands, I look like I'm terminally ill or that something terrible happened, but the scalp doesn't bother me and at no point during the buzzed and shaving did anything feel sensitive. Even without a guard, the small amount of fuzz pretty much covered everything up. If I cared about appearances, I'm sure I could just keep with the shampoo and anti-fungal pills and it would all go away, BUT

- I'm digging the shaved smooth feel
- The wife went from opposed to on board once she saw it, because even with a blotchy scalp you can tell that, as the blotches go away (and I get a little sun) it will look solid
- I do like changing up my visual every now and again
- People on this board and elsewhere make convincing arguments that the only cut that makes any difference with SD is shaving completely
- The timing is right - spring has begun (I'm in Brazil) and for the next month I'm going to be working insane hours from home

Long story short, I'd like to stay smooth for at least the next few weeks, but I'm worried about shaving at home while my scalp is healing itself. Seeing and feeling for myself now, machine even with no guard just doesn't quite cut it. The financial part of the decision is a bit different in this country, because a shave at the barber costs what would be like US$ 3-5 but even just a pair of 2 replacement Mach 3 blades costs US$ 10 (good clippers that could perhaps do a better job are at least US$ 150).

Part of me thinks that at this point the problem is entirely under my skin and shaving at home should be pretty straight forward. My wife seems inclined to help, but by looks alone it seemed still pretty hardcore so I'm not going to count on her for right now, and I'm incredibly klutzy with slightly impaired motors skills in my right wrist. I know that if I stick with it I'll eventually be able to, but now might not be the time.

I noticed there are quite a few people who have posted on this forum who've had SD and had great results long term after shaving, and I could use some tips on how to deal with this short term to get past this outbreak. From what people are saying, I'm going to be due again for a shave already soon, if I'm not already. Should I:

- Go back into the barber on Monday, and keep going every few days until things clear up a bit more
- Man up, take all the necessary precautions and just figure it out at home, because in the end I really should be shaving daily or at least every other day if its the shaved look/feel I'm going for

And, as a side question, is there anything I should (or shouldn't) use to keep my scalp nice and moist? Now I can tell how much the treatment shampoos are drying out my scalp and its a little annoying, plus could lead to shaving issues I imagine.

Thanks if you made it through the whole thing, and a bunch of the posts on here helped me make the final call.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Tips on Staying Smoothing During a Seborrheic Dermatitis Outbreak?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:41:07 AM »
All I could suggest is maybe try an electric shaver. Not quite as smooth as a razor, but will be kinder to your skin. You will be shaved bald, just not quite as smooth.

I get some folliculitis, sometimes flares up within 3 days of not shaving. Good luck, and welcome to the bald brotherhood.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Tips on Staying Smoothing During a Seborrheic Dermatitis Outbreak?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
The only way you are going to find out what works best, is to try it. I suggest using a 2 of 3 blade razor and shave with the grain of hair growth. Don't go crazy trying to get it perfectly smooth. Shave every 2nd or 3rd day. Continue using the shampoo prescribed till it clears up.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Enter your email address: