Author Topic: How do you handle perspiration?  (Read 18958 times)

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
How do you handle perspiration?
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »
Hey guys!  I'm just wondering how does everyone handle perspiration now that you are sly and there isn't any hair to absorb it?  I'm thinking about at the gym when you are working out, or even at work, or even during a social situation.  I'm fairly lucky, this bag can absorb quite a bit when I'm on the treadmill, I'm just wondering how you bagless bros handle it O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: How do you handle perspiration?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:18:24 AM »
Pretty simple, I bring a towel for that purpose & to keep my skin off the equipment where G_d knows what could be living, even after cleaning it w/ the gym supplied cleaner!  Nothing better than wiping it down after a 30 minutes workout on the eliptical! O0

I've got a quesition in return, since I was a combover, not a rug.  Do you take your rug off and wash all the sweat off after every visit to the gym?  Or do you take it off at the gym?  I know some rugs are tacked down for days, others are just pasted down for the day and come off easily--had a guy years ago at the gym that even kept a plastic "skull" in the locker to hold the rug while he worked out--then he put it on when he'd showered up.  How do you rug guys do it?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:21:37 AM by saintc »

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
Hey Saintc,

With the rug that I use it is bonded on for two and half to three weeks.  Working out, showering, swimming, it doesn't matter.  I have even ran a marathon with mine on. 

What I am really wondering with this thread is sweating during social situations.  I perspire a lot, and the rug does absorb some.  When I'm sly, I'm concerned that I may drown  :P

Anyway, I know I will manage, and it is a small price to pay for the freedom of being sly.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
I use a towel also - - -and the sweat is not dark red

There is a guy in the gym that has a rug and when he sweats the dye from the wig (and it is dark red) runs down his head  - -now-that is really bad  - - - - -  if he were SLY - - no dark red sweat   
and this  guy  thinks  that no one knows he has a rug - - -I cannot believe it

Bald SLY is the only answer

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:15:30 AM »

What I am really wondering with this thread is sweating during social situations.  I perspire a lot, and the rug does absorb some.  When I'm sly, I'm concerned that I may drown  :P

I'll use a cocktail napkin and make a joke about it and say "Sorry, just had to comb my hair".

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
Hey Saintc,

With the rug that I use it is bonded on for two and half to three weeks.  Working out, showering, swimming, it doesn't matter.  I have even ran a marathon with mine on. 

Anyway, I know I will manage, and it is a small price to pay for the freedom of being sly.
That's really got to be some bond--and I'd think even w/ shampoo, it's got to be an issue keeping it odor free--not a problem w/ sly though.  And that "bond" has got to irritate the skin too.  A lot of the guys I see who have total skin horseshoes, still have some wispy hairs--doesn't that get kind of gross after three weeks?
Just from the ability to keep clean--I'd say Sly is really going to be a nice change for you! 
Sweat, well in New Orleans we do not prespire, we sweat--as Irma Thomas, the NO R&B star, says on a CD I have.  Having spent a lot of time in Virginia while my daughter was in school, all seasons, it is not even close to the Crescent City in August.  Baldguys Wipes are really handy then, and often after returning from lunch, I'll go into the men's room and just give it a good wipe down w/ a couple of damp paper towels--cooling too.   And when I'm getting out of the c&t in the evening, the first thing I do is wash the melon--a great refresher.   But remember, you also probably sweat more than normal on the head at least because you're effectively wearing a hat that has insulation--the fake hair--and that's got to be hot, really hot.  Don't see how you've done it all these years, in addition to the money, the time and discomfort of having that thing glued on for weeks at a time--sorry, sounds gross. :P
You are really going to be excited once you're freed from that thing, really excited. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
I'll use a cocktail napkin and make a joke about it and say "Sorry, just had to comb my hair".

:*)) :*)) :*))  I can't wait for a chance to use that one, GREAT O0

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
It still amazes me how a nice cooling breeze on the noggin is created just by walking 8) (Central European climate here of course).
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
I would think that a hairpiece would make you sweat more
MikeC

Offline sq

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
I just towel off too.  I have to admit for me it seems a lot cleaner than running around with collected sweat in purcased or non-purchased hair.

One thing I learned immediately after going sly, DO NOT shave then put aftershave treatment of some kind on your head (aloe vera in my case) and then go work out - the sting of aloe vera in the eyes was bad

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
I think I may have unconsciously and unintentionally "hijacked" the thread by timetobeme--sorry :'(.

First issue would be if your sweating is "normal" and not hyperhidrosis.  Assuming normal--two situations:
1) Gym/Exercise:  I use my towel, as I said above at the gym.  Outside, I will use a bandanna or other sweat band type gear--I find that hats, the baseball type absorb the sweat, are hard if not impossible to wash and clean so I avoid them bc the old dirt could irritate my scalp.  I have a washable cotton hat, with a brim, that folds easily in my pocket & I've used that when I golf--rarely so it's not so much golfing as losing balls, and having a walk in the sun :D.  I also have an Under Armor skull cap that I use when on site visits, it keeps the webbing off the skin--who knows who else has worn the "Visitor" hard hat, and wicks away the moisture too. 
2) Office/Social:  I bring an extra handkerchief, the cheaper ones in a pack for about $1 a piece.  If the sweat builds up, wipe down--but it really has to be hot, humid, no breeze.  It was a problem w/ the combover--I had to catch the drops after they got beyond the hairlines--there was one in front, and the hole in back, otherwise the carefully sprayed thing would be ruined :P.  But, generally, because of the air circulation it wasn't a problem. 
Unless you've got a medical situation, my guess is that w/o the piece, this isn't going to be a problem anymore--my bet is that it aggravates and magnifies a normal sweat pattern.  Once you're free, the problem will probably resolve itself for the most part and a towel for the gym and washable hat or bandanna for exercise will handle anything else..   ^-^

Offline oldkookskater

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
Bandanas.  Been using them for about 4 years, even before I started shaving my head.  When I was in college I even carried a handkerchief with me to wipe down my brow.

www.bandanaman.com for made-in-USA bandanas (all the paisley prints).  Retail is a bit pricey.  If you don't care about the color and want to buy in bulk, you can buy the same Have-a-hank brand at http://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com/.

You can get "made in China" bandanas at Wal-Mart for less money.  I'm kinda hung up on Made in USA.

Either way - they're relatively inexpensive and I keep one in my back pocket at all times.  They come in handy, are washable/ re-usable, and the Have-a-Hank brand is color-fast (so are the Chinese-made bandanas from Wal-Mart). 
rob

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
Yeah hopefully at the gym you are already keeping a towel handy.....just in case the guy before you didn't!  >:(

Being out or at work......nothing wrong with a hanky or bandana like mentioned above.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
When I exercise I just wear a knit cap or "skully". Nice and tight against the dome and absorbs most, if not all, of the sweat. When I'm just walking around or out to dinner I normally don't sweat excessively.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »
I keep a small micro-fiber cloth handy for mopping my brow. And have a hankie in my back pocket when I'm out socially.