Author Topic: What didn't you expect when you went sly?  (Read 51426 times)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Re: What didn't you expect when you went sly?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »
I also didn't think that being bald would be my best 'haircut'! first time I shaved I knew the look suited me.

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
Didn't expect the odd numbness f my scalp for the first few days
Also didn't expect the amazing feel of a freshly shaved noggin hitting a cool pillow when you first go to bed

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
To have to be more careful about bumping my head.

Seems like the hairs worked like cat's whiskers and gave me information about clearance.

I started bumping my head anytime I did anything where there was low clearance - like getting stuff out from under the stairs, ducking below boards, even getting into unfamiliar smaller cars.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
How weird it feels to have a smooth head!!

Also, how patchy it can look due to not having a full head of hair in the first place. Looks patchy from the rear!

And the velcro feel!! lol

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
I was originally planning to post this in a separate thread, but for me it was the lookalike comments. I feel that either some people group bald men into one category or don't realize there are different people. So far, I have been confused with three other people in church. Although it may seem to take on a serious tone in writing, I find it utterly hilarious when I was confused with someone else.

I think the funniest one happened a few weeks ago. One of my closest friends stopped by church for something, and someone greeted him thinking my friend was me to only do a double take when he noticed I was a few feet away. To justify the story a bit, the lights were dim. But my friend and I have been asked if we were related lots of times.
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline Thebaldnation

• wanting to bring our Bald community closer together
  • Sly
    • ThebaldNation
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
I didn't expect to get as much attention around being shaven as I do and I didn't expect to create Sly Bald Guys.  Both are very positive if you ask me.

Yes being bald and SBG are very positive, especially helping other men embrace the sly look.
<!-- Facebook Badge START --><a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Baldguy-Thebaldnationsbest/1827707468" title="Baldguy Thebaldnationsbest" target="_TOP" style="font-family: &quot;lucida grande&quot;,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-
[url=http

Offline Thebaldnation

• wanting to bring our Bald community closer together
  • Sly
    • ThebaldNation
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »
I didn't realize how much I would like it at first, I instantly loved it. I think all men should be bald and be members of SBG, could you imagine over a million members on SBG, one word..............AWESOME!!!
<!-- Facebook Badge START --><a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Baldguy-Thebaldnationsbest/1827707468" title="Baldguy Thebaldnationsbest" target="_TOP" style="font-family: &quot;lucida grande&quot;,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-
[url=http

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:34 AM »
Another thing that surprised me was the addictiveness to a completely smooth dome. When I have hair, I normally don't shave my face more than 2-3 times a week and it never bothers me. But when I'm sly, I need to shave my head every single day - sometimes twice if I'm going out at night and want to rock a shiny dome. I'm sure that anyone looking at me wouldn't notice if I skipped a day, but to me there's a huge difference between a completely smooth freshly shaved head and the sandpaper feeling that starts just hours later. Maybe it's because when I'm sly it's BBC and I'm shaving a full head of pretty thick hair.

Offline gadgetwizard

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Good question!

I didn't expect that i would be quite so OCD about shaving my head
I didn't expect to feel the air conditioning on my head when moving from the heat
I didn't expect the change in attitude i get from both strangers and friends and i seem to get a new found respect
I didn't expect  the great feeling of rubbing moisturiser into my head after shaving it
I didn't expect to find myself hating the look of stubble if a leave it a few days
I didn't expect people to ask if they could feel it!
I didn't expect jokes like 'who luvs ya baby'..or 'wow here comes Gru'..OK maybe i did expect that!  ;)
I didn't expect the velcro feel when pulling on a t shirt or hat
I didn't expect complete strangers to say 'I like your shaved head'
I didn't expect that some close friends would actually not say anything at all.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
I knew before I did it it was no looking back and it would be forever.  I just LOVE being bald.  I did NOT expect my scalp would be so oily, what can I do to reduce an oily scalp? I shave every other day and have ALWAYS had some acne since shaving on the back and sides of my head. I love shave days and really don't like the "off day" with the sandpaper feel.  I might try shaving daily for a week. I am Norwegian from both side of my family and was blond.  My skin is sensitive and that's why I always assumed I would get bad razor burn shaving daily.

The other thing I didn't expect was how cool it feels swimming.

Lastly ( I didn't mean to type so much) I use to wear hats almost ALL THE TIME. Since shaving I prefer to ditch the hats most of the time.  I also ride a Harley (trike) and found out almost from day one I have to wear either a skull cap or dew rag under my helmet or its uncomfortable. 

Thanks for sticking around through my "brief" reply.
AKA Gimpy

Offline gadgetwizard

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »
Hi Daven

Read around the forum. You will find many people will recommend witch hazel for after shave care.

Give it a go. It's  supposed to help with acne as well as cuts and abrasions.

I tried it for the first time today and my head felt a lot more dry than before so it might help reduce the oily scalp.

Mine only cost a couple of pounds in a pharmacy for a 200ml bottle.

I'm going to keep it in the fridge for added zing.

Offline Ihor

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »
What surprised me was similar to what you guys described: a Velcro feel, reactions of acquaintances and strangers to the hairstyle change, addiction to head shaving. I didn't expect how nice it is to swim bald-headed in a pool in summer. And I didn't expect that  questions about my shaved head would be a frequent conversation starter.  Also, I didn't expect some friends and acquaintances wouldn't recognize me:-)

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Having done it before, I was sort of geared what to expect, but one thing since I returned to the Order of the Sly  ;D was:

I didn't expect to think about shaving so much - thinking and asking about different products, razors, techniques, etc. and didn't (but should have) expect to find resources where everyday guys and gals share their support and knowledge with others! You guys all rock!!  :)

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
Same here.  When I was sporting a full head o'hair, shaving was an option.  I even would go a couple of months between haircuts.  Now like baldsufer, it's gotta stay clean on top.  I have a bottle of Shave Secret and razors in my office gym locker in the event I have to go out after work and need to touch up the dome.  I too see a huge difference between sandpaper head and the freshly shaved noggin.  You can call me fussy, but hey gotta keep t nice n' shiny.  Besides, if someone wants to rub it, I want them to have an enjoyable experience!  :)

Another thing that surprised me was the addictiveness to a completely smooth dome. When I have hair, I normally don't shave my face more than 2-3 times a week and it never bothers me. But when I'm sly, I need to shave my head every single day - sometimes twice if I'm going out at night and want to rock a shiny dome. I'm sure that anyone looking at me wouldn't notice if I skipped a day, but to me there's a huge difference between a completely smooth freshly shaved head and the sandpaper feeling that starts just hours later. Maybe it's because when I'm sly it's BBC and I'm shaving a full head of pretty thick hair.
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline Vogi_the_bald

• Sly Jr.
    • youtube
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »
I wasn't expecting the stubble to annoy me after 12 hours (my hair grows VERY fast). Also, I shaved before and I never got the shine. I get it now and i LOVE it. also i can tell where the wind is coming from. Even when I had a buzzed no guard hair cut, when I was at work driving the shuttle, I couldn't tell it was on hardly. NOW i quickly learned there is a vent right above my head.  I WAS expecting people to assume I had cancer. and so far, I have one person (coworker) make a joke about it. Thats it. Along with everything else that was stated above.