Author Topic: A global sly guy, around the world in 38 days  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
A global sly guy, around the world in 38 days
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:04:07 AM »
I'm about to fulfill a two ambitions in one trip. To circumnavigate the world and to ride on the Trans Siberian railway.

On Thursday 23 June, I fly from London to New York City. Then trains across the USA via Chicago to LA. Fly from LA to Osaka, Japan. Cross Japan by train. Then ferry for a 2 night crossing of the Sea of Japan to Vladivostok, Russia. From Vladivostok, on the Russian Pacific coast, it's trains all the way to London via Siberia, Moscow, Berlin and Paris.

Around the world in 38 days. Using only 2 flights. The rest by train and ferry. A globe trotting sly guy.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
Re: A global sly guy, around the world in 38 days
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:54 AM »
Sounds like quite an adventure!  Any plans to do any sightseeing or recreational activities like hiking or some such along the way?
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »
Yes, I've included time for sightseeing. I'll be exploring New York City, a bit of Chicago, two days in LA, a week in Japan, a few days in Vladivostok (Russia) and also the Siberian cities of Ulan Ude and Irkutsk. Got a day in Moscow too. And 4 hours in Paris.

Since nearly all the trip is by train, I'll be arriving in city centre railway station. So I can get off the train and start exploring right away.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:26:21 AM »
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I would especially love to get the chance to explore japan, and youll be there for a week?  Im in envy big time.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:11:48 PM »
Enjoy the trip.  I noticed the handlebar is missing in you avatar.  Is that new or did I just miss it?
SlyBeard

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »
Have a great trip Nick.  Knowing your love of rail travel it should be a terrific experience.  Will it lead to a new tattoo of the Trans Siberian to match the Japanese one.

I also noticed the handlebars have gone, also the septum ring.  Is this a new look.
Roger

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »
That sounds  like  a  great  trip , but  brace yourself  for  American  train travel . Delays are  very  common .

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »
Sounds like a great adventure!  Good luck with Amtrak to Chicago and LA.  Outside of the Northeast Corridor (Washington DC to Boston) where the Acela runs, Amtrak service can be prone to big delays. 

When you are in Manhattan, stop at the Donut Plant for out of this world donuts.  Also try The Ginger Man on 35th Street near the Morgan Library.  It claims to have the most beers on tap of any place in the city.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 06:31:43 AM »
I noticed the handlebars have gone, also the septum ring.  Is this a new look.

Yes, me, too. Maybe the missing septum ring is to help get through airport security!

Last time I took a train from Chicago to Pittsburgh we sent hours sitting on the tracks waiting for freight trains to pass. They get priority in the US. It was an all night trip, so not much to see. A cross country trip should have enough during the daytime that it will be interesting. Are you taking a sleeper car?

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun. Are you going with anyone?

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 07:31:56 AM »
That sounds  like  a  great  trip , but  brace yourself  for  American  train travel . Delays are  very  common .

Andthey also have a habit, it seems, of offering no explanation of the delays if it occurs during the night. Back in high school i took a trip to  new orleans fron tucson via amtrack with my church youth group. We ended up arriving 12 hours late, didnt know until one of the other members called home to let his parents know we had arrived, that the reason we were so delayed was that somewhere in texas the train had hit a cow, causing damage to one of the cars. Well since it happened at night and we were seated near the back of the train, we didnt know about anything until then, and that only because the guys parents had called out of concern they hadnt heard fron him yet about our safe arrival

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 09:13:44 AM »
Have a good time .  I'm jealous also .  (**!
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »
I'm envious. I'd love to take a trip like that!
Hair is over rated.