Author Topic: Acne? Razor burn? Help!  (Read 21757 times)

Offline MontagDave

• Learning the way of Sly
Acne? Razor burn? Help!
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
As red and irritated as this looks, it doesn't hurt at all.  I'm not sure what it is.  Any advice?

Thanks!

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: Acne? Razor burn? Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
Hi,  I have faced the same situation before.   That happened to me when I used a disposable razor.
I think the razor is the problem.
What razor do you use? 

Offline MontagDave

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:48 AM »
I use Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.  I was using the Atra with the HeadBlade Sport, but it doesn't seem to get as close of a shave.

I've only been shaving my head for a week.  Could it just be my scalp reacting to the new regime?

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »
I use Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.  I was using the Atra with the HeadBlade Sport, but it doesn't seem to get as close of a shave.

I've only been shaving my head for a week.  Could it just be my scalp reacting to the new regime?

Could be! Do you exfoliate before you shave? Also, what do you use to moisturise after shaving? And are you using products that are new to you (could you be slightly allergic)?

Hope all this helps

Steve
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »
You should also wash your pillowcase frequently. You're new exposed scalp probably doesn't like all the crap from your hair that is on the pillowcases. I wash mine at least twice a week. Also the skin on your head has to get used to being scraped. Maybe shave every couple of days until your head toughens up.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline MontagDave

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
Good suggestions, everyone.  Thanks!

I try to remember to exfoliate before I shave, but I admit I have forgotten a few times.   :XX

I do use a lotion after I shave.  Before I bought HeadLube this weekend, I was just using a scented lotion from Bath and Body Works.  I think the HeadLube will be better for me since the other may clog up my pores.

It could be an allergy, but it doesn't itch, and it's just in a few isolated spots not all over my head.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »
Hi MontagDave,  I am not a doctor but I don't think it's an allergy at all.  Like you said, with an allergy
it would most likely itch.   
I also had such few spots and to be honest I don't know why they were present.  My only educated guess is that
my razor was the problem but I am not 100% sure.
Let us know how things go.

parksie

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
I seen on a previous post that you use aloe and headlube.. using them both might be too much moisture for your head.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:16:25 PM »
I was just going to ask this same question. I have been shaving for a couple weeks now and I decided to give my scalp a rest for a couple days and when I shaved I noticed I have a bunch of pimples on the sides of my head. I think I will have to remember some of these things.  They dont really hurt or anything, they just look bad and I am going to a water park this weekend so I am going to try and clear them up before then.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
My solution for those small bumps was (1) an antibacterial acne soap, two or three times a day--I use Cuticura; (2) using a loofa pad--available at WalMart about $2.50--in the shower every morning, gentle at first and more vigorous as your scalp tolerates it, (3) an astringent all over after drying off after shaving--I use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad, (4) a 10% benzoyl peroxide gel w/o any oil rubbed on before my (5) Nivea Extreme Shave Balm.  Smooth clear clean.  It should take a week or two to completely clear it up. 

Keeping it clean is essential, and it's easy because there's no hair of course.  Remember, there's no hair to take in all the soot, dirt and other stuff that we used to shampoo out of the hair.  Feels good, especially refreshing to wash the dome a couple of times a day if possible, but w/o fail before going to bed.

Works for me and I've had acne issues since puberty--WHY can't I just grow up??? ;D  :/O :/O :/O

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
My solution for those small bumps was (1) an antibacterial acne soap, two or three times a day--I use Cuticura;

For sure on this. I really didnt start to have 100% clear skin until i started using Cuticura. Fantastic stuff i suggest everyone try it out, especially acne prone
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 12:13:32 AM »
Is it on one side of your head or all around?  How long after shaving does it show up?

If it's all around or shows up fairly quickly after shaving it could be either your shaving routine or any lotions you put on afterward. 

If it's just one side, ask yourself if it's the same side you sleep on.  If so, make sure to clean your dome every night before sleeping.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 05:50:12 AM »
My solution for those small bumps was (1) an antibacterial acne soap, two or three times a day--I use Cuticura; (2) using a loofa pad--available at WalMart about $2.50--in the shower every morning, gentle at first and more vigorous as your scalp tolerates it, (3) an astringent all over after drying off after shaving--I use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad, (4) a 10% benzoyl peroxide gel w/o any oil rubbed on before my (5) Nivea Extreme Shave Balm.  Smooth clear clean.  It should take a week or two to completely clear it up. 

Keeping it clean is essential, and it's easy because there's no hair of course.  Remember, there's no hair to take in all the soot, dirt and other stuff that we used to shampoo out of the hair.  Feels good, especially refreshing to wash the dome a couple of times a day if possible, but w/o fail before going to bed.

Works for me and I've had acne issues since puberty--WHY can't I just grow up??? ;D  :/O :/O :/O

Hi Saint

Interesting routine! Just a few questions on it.

1. Do you find excessive use of the anti-b soap causes any reactions like dryness/pimples?

2. When exfoliating with the loofa, would you use a scrub like St Ives with it? I thought maybe the loofa would exacerbate existing pimple or does the head adapt over time.

3. Do you apply the astringent (I have witch hazel instead of hydrogen peroxide), let dry; then apply benzoyl peroxide, let dry; then finally moisturise.

4. I am going to start shaving every second day from now on. Do you shave everyday and is that needed in your routine for a successful shave?

That's it.

Thanks

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 06:37:34 AM »

Hi Saint

Interesting routine! Just a few questions on it.

1. Do you find excessive use of the anti-b soap causes any reactions like dryness/pimples?

2. When exfoliating with the loofa, would you use a scrub like St Ives with it? I thought maybe the loofa would exacerbate existing pimple or does the head adapt over time.

3. Do you apply the astringent (I have witch hazel instead of hydrogen peroxide), let dry; then apply benzoyl peroxide, let dry; then finally moisturise.

4. I am going to start shaving every second day from now on. Do you shave everyday and is that needed in your routine for a successful shave?

That's it.

Thanks

Notwithstanding its antibacterial nature, Cuticura is a mild soap--formulated to be so.
The loofa pad--not the sponge--is used just like a wash cloth.  Use it gently at first, and increase the intensity as your scalp cleans up.
On the astringent, exactly, let dry and you only use as much bp gel as necessary, on the post shave balm, make sure it doesn't have oil.
I'm an everyday shaver.  I also wash my dome at least twice a day, sometimes more in the hot and humid climate of New Orleans.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »
Appreciate the info Saint!

Enter your email address: