Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Lenza

• Sly Guy in Training
What do you think?
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:20:07 AM »
I'm a 24 year old dude. Always had really thick hair and honestly I still have hair on my head, but within the last year or so it's definitely shown signs of noticeable thinning around the front and down the middle and my hair line has receded. My 'widow's peak'(?) if that's the correct term has also receded quite a bit, was sort of covering them both but recently got a haircut to clean my look up and am ready to just say screw it, I'm getting rid of it all. It's going to get worse over time anyway.

Found a phone app to 'baldify' myself while looking in the app store on my phone for something unrelated, so I took a photo (was in the work van for my job at the time) and gave it a try. It's not perfect, the closest filter to bald still seems to leave some hair on the sides unless it's just a weird shadow effect and the head itself is sort of transparent to some degree around the edges making my head look like it's disappearing, but it gives a decent idea.

What do y'all think? I don't think it looks that bad.

https://unsee.cc/poduzabe/

https://unsee.cc/ziporuna/

https://unsee.cc/subazope/

Couldn't hurt to give it a try, right? Going to do it this weekend. Don't want to wait for it to look noticeable to others. I want this to be on my terms, not nature's.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:56:27 AM by Lenza »

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:47:42 AM »
Yeah man. The photoshop looks good, so the real deal will look better.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 06:15:09 AM »
great shaven,just do it.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 06:46:32 AM »
You can wear the look fine . But don't forget there will need to be an adjustment period. That is for you and others. We recommend  30 days.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »
I think you could pull it off. Sure, there will be questions, but in the end, it's all in what you want.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
Bald looks good on you.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Lenza

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I needed to hear something positive. At first, my mother didn't seem on board, I suppose it'd make me seem more like a man and less like her baby frozen in time. lol

But I showed her the photos the other day and she thought that I looked like her co-worker, whom seems to be a really nice guy and looks pretty good with a bald head.

Her biggest gripe was that I would really hate it, but I seriously like the look in general, especially with a beard. Just didn't think that I would look good bald. But on second thought I think I'll be alright. I admire it on a lot of you guys as well and I think I could rock a big goatee with a shaved head. I think that'd be really bad ass.

I'm totally prepared for it to seem and look odd at first, but I'm excited to see what sort of reactions I'm going to get. I'm sure that it's gonna lead to some funny moments among friends and family. Totally hyped.

If I can get a decent photo I'll update the thread with the final product, but I'm likely going away with some friends for the solar eclipse so I probably won't be back until tuesday.

Also, if anyone knows, can I just take a regular razor on a grip-handle to my dome? Or do I NEED buzzers/clippers? Was googling it earlier and apparently a regular simple old razor actually gives you a closer bald shave, whereas the clippers or buzzers will still leave a shadow? I'd rather just cut my hair as short as possible with scissors and then take a razor to whatever's left. Maybe make some hair sculptures with what's left and take photos for the family album. :-)

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
It's best to cut the hair as short as possible with clippers.  If the hair is left to long with scissors you likely to have a bad shaving experience , with nicks cuts and hair not shaved.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:09 PM »
 I am in Barber and I will give you my brutally honest opinion:

first I know you're only 24 years old but your hair is thinning severely and the way you have it cut now it makes  you look unkempt and  and gives the impression that you're not a healthy guy.

Second you have enough here that you don't "have" to shave it now if you don't want to.  you were doing equally well with the high bald fade on the back and sides and leaving the top just as it is that way the color will all be on the top of your head and it will not accentuate the fact that there is fitting her up there there's no hair on the back and sides to point out the fact that your thinning on top!

but if you "choose" to shave it,  you are going to look great!   you're going to look healthy, vigorous and confident!

but you cannot just shave all that here it has to be clipper down as close to the scalp as possible before it is shaved?   don't try to do this without clipper to get them first it will hurt and you make a mess of your scalp !   if you don't own the clippers just got here Barber and tell him that you want your head shavedA good tradional man's Barbershop will be able to not only clipper it down to the scalp With a bareber's 0000 blade clipper,  but will also Shave it with a straight razor for you.  After that you can easily maintain  it yourself buy shaving either every day or every other day.   if you wait more than three days the hair will be long enough to do I have to clipper it down again before you shave it.

but as has been said before you absolutely must keep it for 30 days need to give your brain time to form a new mental image of yourself and your gift need to let your friends and family start to form a new normal for you in their own heads.

and I agree with you I think it would look really good on you with a goatee instead of a full beard.   COPA much work we can cut them groomed look for you it will make you look like you care
about how you look  and that you're not just "bald and too lazy to shave your face"!

Offline Lenza

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »
I am in Barber and I will give you my brutally honest opinion:

first I know you're only 24 years old but your hair is thinning severely and the way you have it cut now it makes  you look unkempt and  and gives the impression that you're not a healthy guy.

Second you have enough here that you don't "have" to shave it now if you don't want to.  you were doing equally well with the high bald fade on the back and sides and leaving the top just as it is that way the color will all be on the top of your head and it will not accentuate the fact that there is fitting her up there there's no hair on the back and sides to point out the fact that your thinning on top!

but if you "choose" to shave it,  you are going to look great!   you're going to look healthy, vigorous and confident!

but you cannot just shave all that here it has to be clipper down as close to the scalp as possible before it is shaved?   don't try to do this without clipper to get them first it will hurt and you make a mess of your scalp !   if you don't own the clippers just got here Barber and tell him that you want your head shavedA good tradional man's Barbershop will be able to not only clipper it down to the scalp With a bareber's 0000 blade clipper,  but will also Shave it with a straight razor for you.  After that you can easily maintain  it yourself buy shaving either every day or every other day.   if you wait more than three days the hair will be long enough to do I have to clipper it down again before you shave it.

but as has been said before you absolutely must keep it for 30 days need to give your brain time to form a new mental image of yourself and your gift need to let your friends and family start to form a new normal for you in their own heads.

and I agree with you I think it would look really good on you with a goatee instead of a full beard.   COPA much work we can cut them groomed look for you it will make you look like you care
about how you look  and that you're not just "bald and too lazy to shave your face"!

Just dropping a minor update before I head out for the weekend. I'll post a photo soon.

But, I'm not going to lie to you, kind sir.. I've already done the deed without clippers. Honestly, I'd only sustained one injury. A small dot of blood on my temple, probably from the razor going over a pimple so small that I'd never noticed it. I've had several people look over my head, and I think that only one person thought that they saw barely a noticeable bit or two of hair towards my crown. It wasn't really that painful a process without the clippers. I trimmed it as close as I could all over with scissors and then took the razor to it.

So, you could really tell that it was thinning? I looked sickly, even? That seems a bit extreme an evaluation to me, no? :'( lol I didn't think that my hair was that far gone at that point!

I went for a haircut awhile back and the barber did tell me it was a bit thinned or receding which was when I first got that sinking feeling of.. Oh crap.. Forgot what he said specifically, but pretty much everyone I've told about it said they didn't notice anything like that. Most around me said I had all of my hair, so why shave? I still wanted to try it, though.

I'll admit it was less noticeable in natural lighting for me, but I'm not so naive to think that it couldn't still be noticeable for others from their perspective, although I'd like to think that those closest to me wouldn't lie to me to try not to hurt my feelings, which ironically would hurt me even more by lying to me.

Most people I deal with at my delivery stops when I was working yesterday didn't seem to hate it. My boss' friend who's not always the kindest with his words (though he just likes to joke around in a jerky way) actually said I have a perfect head shape for it. Maybe two other people also said that I have a totally smooth head, so it could've been worse.

This corny bit of dialogue also happened at a bar I deliver to, with the bartender.

Me: Hey, notice anything different about me?
Her: Yeah, you've got no hair on your freaking head!
Me: I did this to test your love for me. I needed to know if you just wanted me for my hair.
Her: *laughing*
Me: So, do you still think I'm sexy?
Her: Of course! (Or something like that. lol)
Me: That's all I wanted to hear!

She said I rocked the look, just needed to get some color on the newly exposed skin. She's also pretty cute but hey, she's a friendly gal and was probably just being nice anyway. That was the highlight of the day for sure, though.

I can roll with the light-hearted jokes and what not but I'm just hoping that the new look won't totally screw me from ever finding a relationship. Not that the cuties were lining up before, but I guess that could also be because I'm not exactly chasing after them either, I'm kind of a home body. Can't meet them if I'm never putting myself out there. :-P

When my sister saw me later in the day she couldn't stop smiling, said it just looked weird, but liked it. So that's good.

I'm already pretty happy with it. Definitely gonna take a little time to truly get accustomed to, but I'm already feeling it. The new sensations can feel really weird but the breeze with the windows door in the car feels great, for example. Rain drops hitting my head feels like pins and needles dropping on it, only it somehow feels good rather than uncomfortable. It's cool.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »
This look is new to you and all the people that know you. In time no one including yourself will give it a second thought.

Offline Lenza

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 11:03:19 PM »
Didn't mean to not update, but here's the new look. A lot more natural than the balding phone app which amounted to clicking and dragging a bald cap over my head.. lol

https://unsee.cc/samiture/

At this point, I'm honestly quite used to the look after even maybe a week and I like it a lot from what I see in the mirror.

So I do a delivery route for restaurant supplies. From the people who see me regularly through this job and make brief small talk, I've gotten mostly positive reactions. They could be lying to my face because they feel bad for me or think I'm a nice guy, I don't know for sure.

Otherwise it's been basically neutral. Nobody's really looked at me any differently but I didn't really expect anyone to point and laugh or just stare all horrified. I've had one stop where a young girl said I now look 50 and could be her father, and then a middle aged guy from the same place telling me in a disappointed tone that I look sickly and should grow some hair back.

I'm not going to lie, it did hurt a bit because this guy told me like two weeks prior that it's better to go bald than be balding, so I figured of all the people who would probably mock my new appearance it wouldn't be him, even if he didn't mean to and was just being honest.

Other than those two remarks, it was alright. A lot of the dudes working the kitchens at these places didn't speak english and would say some stuff and laugh, but it's whatever. lol

I don't really care, just hope it won't further ruin my chances of meeting a nice girl eventually.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:30:49 PM by Lenza »