Author Topic: MY "story"  (Read 4922 times)

Offline MrClean

• Learning the way of Sly
MY "story"
« on: December 18, 2016, 06:40:59 AM »
So.....As a "biker" teacher with a shaved head and two pierced ears, you can imagine the comments I get from time to time....

But the one story I retell a lot, as a kind of "catch-all anecdote", is THIS one -

I was new in my teaching career, the first year with actual full time employment as a teacher, and I was the FOURTH teacher to be in my classroom that year (It was the day after Thanksgiving break), in a large Urban school district in Indiana's capitol city.  As I stood in the hallway during passing periods, I routinely heard and saw kids walk by, get the "jaw-drop" look, and murmur to each other "Look!  We have a skin-head teacher!"

So.....Upon reflection, I decided I needed to address this - To make THEM more comfortable with my chosen hairstyle.  THIS is what I tell people, right or wrong....

"You ask 'Why do you wear your hair that way?'.  I ask 'Why DON'T you?"  I realize you are skirting the hint that I HAVE to, because I am old...but think about this - When I was working third shift grocery to put myself through college and support my family, there was a guy with hair down to his knees....We called him "Long-hair". 

There are three "Classifications" of those who have no-hair on their heads...Those who do it for political reasons - "Skinheads";  Those who do it because of age or illness - "Bald"; and those who CHOOSE to wear their hair this way - "No-Hairs".  I HAVE hair....I just cut it short...VERY short.  I have a lot of respect for the "Bald".  They have EARNED that status, through years of life and/or battles us others have not had to fight.  I have NO respect for, have never been, am not, and never WILL be a skinhead.  I CHOOSE to wear my hair this way, because it looks good on me.  Not only that, it is cleaner and healthier.....Hair traps in oils, dirt, dead skin, and other "contagions" that we without hair do not have.

So, there it is.  My "story".

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: MY "story"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 07:13:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story. I personally fall into the bald category, but by the time I started shaving, shaved heads were common here. I didn't shave because of them, however, I shaved for my own comfort, not to "fit in"
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline MrClean

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:23:56 AM »
Yep, me too.  I do it because I like the look on me.  Screw what others think.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:14:54 AM »
Very good story Clean. When I shaved it off 3.5 years ago, I kept it bald because:

1. I love how it looks and feels.
2. My dermatitis issue disappears when shaved.
3. I enjoy the daily headshave routine.
4.IMHO, I think I look younger without the white hair.
5. Convenience.

My temporary break from shaving should be over in the next week, looking forward to the return to sly.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 09:36:11 AM »
Great story and thanks for sharing!  My wife is a teacher but I am a professional craft brewer who is allowed to look basically however he wants.  I fall I to the "no hair" category as I have a full head of thick curly hair but decide to be sly, I typically use the phrasing "bald by choice".  It's funny when I meet a coworker or parent of student of my wife's because they don't typically expect to meet a 6' tall 210lb 'bald' guy with a big beard, tattoos, and fairly large gauged ears who makes beer for a living lol.  The cool part is I carry myself like a gentleman, am told I am well spoken, and always try to be polite.  I get nothing but positive comments on how I look and act but I would still be who I am even if I didn't.  I agree, be confident and comfortable with yourself and others will pick up on that.  And for those who don't... Well, you can't win 'em all and those are the types I just choose to ignore.  Just like I choose to ignore my full head of hair in place of a slick, shiny dome.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline MrClean

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »
EXACTLY.  And I am interested in the brewing thing....Would like to try sometime!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:33:38 PM »
I think that sums it up.  I prefer the bald look on me and I don't really care what others think.  Fortunately nowadays no one seems to  comment.  I also find that other sly guys nod in acknowledgement that we have something good going on - the number of sly guys around attests to that.
Roger

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 11:28:49 PM »
Great story. Welcome to SBG!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Enter your email address: