Author Topic: Want a to buzz it off, need advise!  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Asturiano71

• Learning the way of Sly
Want a to buzz it off, need advise!
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »
    Hello to everyone.

At around age 35 is when I really started to thin bad on top. I am in my early 40s now and have been using  concealer's for about 12 years. About 6 years ago I was going on a trip that required all sorts of water activities and I decided to buzz my hair off. My wife loved it and really wanted me to keep it. I loved the freedom of it, but also hated it because it showed my balding area. So when I got back in town I used Dermamatch to hide it as best as possible until it grew back out and i could go back to using Toppik. I regret not just sticking with it back then. I really want to just buzz it off again. I see a bunch of guys with their head buzzed or shaved and I think they look pretty cool. Wether they are thinning or not. My biggest problem is how do I go from what seems like an almost full head of hair, to a fully buzzed head, that will show just how badly I have thinned? My friends, co workers, even family members. Will realize that something is not right because their wont be as much stubble on top of my head as their should be. The top of my head will be mostly bald with little stubble. Plus I am a very fair skin white European male, so the top my head will be so white at first, its scary! I know that will get better with time.
I just dont know how to go about the transition. I wish I had never used concealers before.

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
Re: Want a to buzz it off, need advise!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
Welcome Asturiano.  I doubt that the "concealer" really convinced anyone--hate to burst your bubble.  Just buzz down and see how you like it.  If you don't like it, you can always grow what's left back.  Also, don't worry about a white scalp--that will tan with exposure.  Throw away the concealers and free yourself from the burden of hair!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
Welcome as well.

I follow the train that EarlBald started ... "Just buzz down and see how you like it."  If the stubble versus balding area is still troubling to you, how about shaving it all the way off.

The difference between buzzed and shaved is visually rather slight but the physical feel and emotional relief is HUGE.

You don't owe explanations to anyone ... just pass it off as it was time for a change and move on.

Read the "30 Day Rule" for some guidelines ... and plan to post back sooner rather than later saying, "Wow, I should have done this a long time ago."
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

You don't owe explanations to anyone ... just pass it off as it was time for a change and move on.

O0  +1

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »
+1 again.  Shave it off and follow the 30 day rule.  The freedom and in crease in confidence will be HUGE.  Report back with a pic.
Roger

Offline Asturiano71

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
 Thanks I truly appreciate your words of advise. This is something that needs to happen sooner or later.
What really has me motivated is not just for myself, but for son. He is getting older now and he always
wonders why I dont like it when he touches my hair. It makes me feel so horrible! Doing water activities
is always a challenge. Lord knows kids love to go to water parks and I eventually have to take him.
I truly dont want to be a prisoner to this anymore. Thankfully last time I shaved my head I noticed
my head shape was not an issue. I just need to grow some and man up and do what needs to be done!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
I just need to grow some and man up and do what needs to be done!

That says it all. Get the clippers/razor and be done with it.

Then take your son to the water park and enjoy it instead of dreading it.

We are here to support you, but I don't think you really need it. Just get on with it.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »
Your son has given you the perfect reason to shave - not that you need one as you have already shaved before and are not worried by head shape.  Go for it.
Roger

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
Welcome! Good luck with the deed!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: